I perhaps have now seen it all.......

Nov 22, 2009
West Saint Paul
any-timeflowers.com
State / Prov
Minnesota
At 8:30am this morning, a 50ish yr old gentleman in jeans and a t-shirt came in and said "daisies, white daisies" at my inquiry. I pointed out the single stems and the growers bunch and he chose the bunch.

As we were going toward the cash wrap, he said "Oh, I guess I'll need a vase, I don't have one." No problem. I started pulling a couple of vases that would be an appropriate size for the bunch. I asked what it was for to determine the best choice and he said "It's for my mother's funeral". White daisies were her favorite.

"Okay, well let's go with the larger vase and go one-sided. When did you need this" I asked.

He replied "I'm on my way there straight from here." Ah, okayyyyy...as I was thinking he might be a tad under-dressed for the occasion but, not my business, I'm cool with that, just took me by surprise.

The biggest surprise was coming. I began preparing the vase and he started making conversation about his wonderful mother who at 90 had finally gotten her wish to go be with her deceased husband.

That's when he said it. "Yeah, her casket is closed so those daisies are going to look nice ON IT."

SCRRREEEECCCCHHHHH ~ HIT THE BRAKES~ WHHAAAAATTTT????

Er uhm, "we can't put a vase on top of the casket, it will slide right off" I told him as I frantically tried to switch gears in my head to accommodate yet another switcheroni.

I ended up just doing a presentation style bouquet that is going to look dinky with one bunch of daisies, (all I had in white). I put a #40 bow on it with tails. He didn't even want it wrapped, he thanked me and said he'd found a new florist, and off he went to mama's funeral.

I think I've seen it all. How about you?

and for a few bucks, you can "buy" this vase. to put the flowers INTO, after the service......(upsell Linda!! ;))

I wonder if he has family here in Toronto. I had one similar last week - 2 brothers, also 50-ish, asking for a bunch of glads and carns for their mother, her favourite flowers. Wanted to take them, no need to wrap because ... the funeral was 3 days away and they were just going to put them on top of the casket. I did the same SCREEEEECH, whoa there boys! Got them sorted out with a hand-tied delivered to the church on the day of the funeral. Then orders started coming in from other family members, including the estranged husband - all for vases of glads & carns, nothing over $50. Then a couple of phone orders from friends for tributes and standing sprays - which probably made the family pieces look like ka-ka. The family pieces all had lovely messages, though.

~ sigh ~

Shannon's Right - YOU HAVE NOT HEARD OR SEEN IT ALL ....... YET

Reactions: anytimeflowers