Is 30% of Something better than 0% of Nothing???

Status
Not open for further replies.

bloomz

Nov 12, 2002
Corvalis
State / Prov
OR
I just came back from buying my little boy some Bakugans, on the way home I passed our main local competitor's shop. She's been the one who wants all the incoming. I've been content to get all the outgoing and let her have all the incoming.

I see a brand new delivery van sitting outside her shop, covered with flowers, ala Expressions in Bloom (sincerest form of flattery I guess) -

B-b-but she's NOT supposed to be making money on all those incomings. I know that - cuz I read it on flowerchat [sic]. No money in filling incoming orders! Ask just about anybody around here!

She gets all the 800TFTD orders for our city, I've checked. But there's no money in them!

hmmm.....

and she's got a new van, in a depressed economy...

hmmmmm...... :argue:

Could Gaylon have been right that 30% of something is better than 0% of nothing?

I think it's time I sought out more incoming

Glad I have decons in place.

I think that it has been established that if you get substantial amounts of orders, you can be very successful with WS. (That is what I have gleaned from 9 months of FC and WS debates) ;)

One order per day, not so much, 20 per day. Probably very successful. We have 15 shops (at least) that are TFTD in Winnipeg, so it is not for us! All shops deliver city wide.

My local 800-flowers lfc is rehabbing their shop, emptied it out and getting a brand new custom cooler, painting building, blah, blah, blah...

They market for no local biz and live for all the incomings from WS, they seem to be doing very well...

WTFDWK!!!

Reactions: bloomz
JB - I have freelanced at a shop that now has two locations, both doing well, that is all three WS, may be BBRooks as well, and I would estimate that a good 90 percent of the daily orders are incoming orders for wire specific arrangements.

I have said it myself........It is beyond me how they are making the incoming system work.......but they are.

I got lamblasted by my old employer on here quite a while back......He said I was clueless and that I did not know what I was talking about. I said that there are florists who have figured out HOW TO MAKE MONEY filling WS orders,

Reactions: bloomz and goldfish
Believe me, it can be done. I did not believe it, but it can be true.

Who said they are making money!
A brand new van doesnt says I am making money! It may say, I got a loan and have to pay it off in 5 to 6 years, and that may be hard during htis recession.

Luc

A brand new van doesnt says I am making money! It may say, I got a loan and have to pay it off in 5 to 6 years, and that may be hard during htis recession.

Luc
That's what I was gonna say!

30% of something you need to make 100% on makes no sense. There's got to be more going on than meets the eye.

Reactions: inferno63
Maybe it's the 100% orders they're getting from consumers finding them on search engines. (see attached)
Hey how 'bout that! I know someone from Penguins!
"Stargazers Premiere" sounds fancy, it's eye catching as well as ear catching...

Seems like they are making money and actually making it are two different things. Lots of people can buy new stuff. Somehow JB I bet you still doing okay.;) Guess we'll see in the long run.

Sorry , I just don't see how 1-800 especially is making anyone rich.
My way of thinking is the incoming might be helping to pay the bills, but your real money is coming from other sources. :dunno:

Or maybe the have gained local market share because their prices are seen as a better value to local customers (since they don't add outgoing WS delivery charges to them). (see below)

One can latch onto all kinds of 'reasons' why a shop succeeds, especially if it feeds into a position for which one is predisposed. ;)

Attachments

• Penguine-LIB.jpg
    Penguine-LIB.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 71
  • IB-LIB.jpg
    IB-LIB.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 68
I just came back from buying my little boy some Bakugans, on the way home I passed our main local competitor's shop. She's been the one who wants all the incoming. I've been content to get all the outgoing and let her have all the incoming.

I see a brand new delivery van sitting outside her shop, covered with flowers, ala Expressions in Bloom (sincerest form of flattery I guess) -

B-b-but she's NOT supposed to be making money on all those incomings. I know that - cuz I read it on flowerchat [sic]. No money in filling incoming orders! Ask just about anybody around here!

She gets all the 800TFTD orders for our city, I've checked. But there's no money in them!
Bloomzie, if you are going to buy something like a van, do it right after Mothers Day. The bank accounts are most likely full because the bills have not been paid yet.

And I had a like situation. I kept hearing about a florist nearby that was doing numerous weddings every weekend. We were doing weddings but nothing like the number I kept hearing about this florists from vendors. They too showed the signs of success, right up to the day they closed their doors.

It's not always what it seems.

Luc

In the industrial park where we are there was a fancy schmancy place thats whole business was to customize corvettes. The company appeared to be flying high. Until a few weeks ago when the landlord changed all of the locks due to the company being so behind on their rent. The landlord has now seized all of the property (rumor has it there were 12 Corvettes in the building) and is auctioning it off to pay the back rent.

Things are not always as they appear.

Maybe it's the 100% orders they're getting from consumers finding them on search engines. (see attached)
attachment.php

Great point Cathy. If a person is going to go through the trouble to search for a florist in Corvallis he probably doesn't want FTD and Teleflora flowers. If he did he could have gone directly to the source, FTD.com or Teleflora.com.

Maybe, Twila should update the website so it shows they can do more the wire service designs. :)

Reactions: marvin and CHR
Or maybe the have gained local market share because their prices are seen as a better value to local customers (since they don't add outgoing WS delivery charges to them). (see below)

One can latch onto all kinds of 'reasons' why a shop succeeds, especially if it feeds into a position for which one is predisposed. ;)

Yikes, not only is Inbloom 45% more expensive their arrangement looks smaller.

Reactions: theRKF
It's just simple math... unless you are reading your Teleflora statement?

Always been a problem with small businesses. The owners don't have a clue about their costs of doing business.

Breakeven = Fixed Costs/(1-variable costs)

If you don't understand and apply this little formula you could be in for the demise of your enterprise.

You can make money filling DOT.CON orders!

There's NO SECRET in being able to make money when filling the HIGHLY DISCOUNTED incoming for any of the OGs, dOGs, and DOT.CONS.

Just fill to VALUE!

Gross sale = $60.00 less 30% (-$18.00) less cost of delivery (-$10.00) = $32.00 Floral Arrangment.

In the end, the recipient gets a product worth $32.00, the sender looses $28.00 from the $60.00 they spent less the $ervice charge, the filling florist makes money, and VOILA, everybody's HAPPY!

OOPS! Wait a minute! Maybe NOT? That's CURTAILMENT and it isn't allowed in the GAME, right?

SHHHHHHHHHHHHH! That's supposed to have been this industry's dirty little secret, so just forget what I've said. It SIMPLY ISN'T TRUE!
:rofl: :spankmecu

I don;t know about curtailment - but the shop I freelanced at is METICULOUS about staying within the posted recipe for that wire order.

Could that make a difference?

I got a new delivery vehicle about a year ago - A Honda Pilot - Nice new pink signs.. and all...

It was because the engine on the old delivery vehicle blew up... My husband groaned.. but I said yea! New Delivery Vehicle!

Status
Not open for further replies.