Just saying Hi..!

Status
Not open for further replies.

geebf

Feb 21, 2007
brisbane
State / Prov
queensland, australia
Hi My name is Karla and my shop is located in Brisbane, Australia.

I have been a florist for 16 years and have owned my shop for just under 6 years. It is a "full service" shop but I specialize in Weddings.

I really love coming here and reading all your posts.. have learnt a few things too....!

What I love about the industry - Probably being able to be creative, and the fact that it makes people happy ( corny , I know.!)

What I hate About being a florist - Valentines Day.!!!!! - It's funny, when I first started I absolutly loved it - couldn't wait for it to roll around each year, really got off on the pressure of it all. ... now It makes me cringe, Hade a supplier last week send me an order form for Valentines stock - I just wanted to crawl into a hole and die.!! - It's only AUGUST for God's sake..!

Have ben a "lurker" here since about February and have been a little shy to say hello... Hopefully that will change and I will try to pick up the courage to join in the conversations.

Reactions: 3 people
Welcome Karla! I hope you feel very welcome here and free to post.

I am not crazy about Valentine's either. I wouldn't mind it if we had better control over the quality of the flowers. For some people, that is the only time all year that they buy flowers. I want them to buy any other time of the year when I can give them our very best service and quality.

Wanda

PS I have a friend from Alice Springs.

Hi Wanda.. Thanks.!

I think that the thing that really gets to me about Valentines Day and Mothers Day is exactly what you said... The quality of the flowers is Very poor. I am not sure about the ordering systems you have where you are located but here we place orders with the markets/ growers etc about a month before the date, but you are never quite sure about what you are exactly getting until you recieve it, Basically the theory is beggers can't be choosers and you have to take what you can get.

It is very frustrating and makes it very difficult to plan designs etc. Because of this I always feel the standard of the work is always down during that period.

The other thing is the HEAT... Valentines day is basically in the middle of our VERY hot Summer and it is always a worry about the roses lasting..!

Ugh.. Just hate thinking about it......

Hi Sandra...Thanks for replying to my post..!

Yes... After reading all of the problems you guys had this year with Valentines, I am sure you are not looking forward to it either...!

Karla, welcome and I'm glad you're not "lurking" anymore. Feel free to join right in. :)

V

Hey Karla,

I am also from Brisbane...Redcliffe City Florist:) I finally found a florist forum where we can all get together and chat about different stuff.

I hope we meet across paths one day because it is always great to meet other florists....

Sonya:bouncy:

Reactions: 1 person
Hey Karla,

I am also from Brisbane...Redcliffe City Florist:) I finally found a florist forum where we can all get together and chat about different stuff.

I hope we meet across paths one day because it is always great to meet other florists....

Sonya:bouncy:
SEEEEEE >>>>>> and you never would have had the opportunity to meet if you hadn't POSTED :>

welcome to you both!
tracy

Welcome you Aussies!!!!!

Welcome to flowerchat...you will most likely learn a lot here...and meet some interesting characters.

By the way, Australia is my favorite place in the world - and if I ever get kicked out of here - I'm going to try to get myself to the land down under.

I spent a few months in Australia, years back, and truly enjoyed it. Brisbane was one of the high points of the trip. But I enjoyed Sidney, Melbourne, Adalaide (sp), and Canberra as well. I have to admit Canberra was my least favorite.

Welcome again!!!

Wow... Texas flower Guy.. You have seen more of Australia than I have..!!!!

Thanks for the Welcome....!!!!!

Hi Karla,

Welcome to FlowerChat! Thanks for bringing up the Valentine Massacre memories...I was just beginning to put it behind me! I will vote to approve your membership anyway...just don't bring up the "V" word again, until next year!

I spend all my hard earned dollars sending my daughter to destinations like Australia! Jessica spent six months there studying. She came back to the USA smoking cigs! She absolutely loved Aussie and we were talking about moving there...then she met "Romeo" (Brett) and never mentioned it again! She will be marrying Brett in November!

Sorry Dianne.. Didn't mean to bring up the painfull past ...!:redface2:

Thanks for the Welcome..!

Karla,

Quick Question....have you been to any of Irene Brockwell's classes? I have heard they are super and I know there is one coming up in November and I am very interested in going to check it out.

Hi Sonya..

No, Not recently anyway.. Didn't actually know there was one coming up...Can you tell me the details.

I havn't been to any demonstations for about 2 years - should though, always find them VERY inspirational...

Are you still at work?? I am waiting on a Bride to come for an appointment, Not really in the mood tonight as I have been sick for 2 days and just want to go home...

Karla and Sonya, If you ever do get together over a coffee (or tea) let's know about it. And thanks both of you for replying to my handshake (introduction post). It's nice to meet you.

Reactions: 1 person
Hey Karla,

Yeah apparently there was a 4 week one starting in August...I missed it by 3 days and was slightly bummed...but I did read that there is another one coming up in November...here in the info for you:

http://www.southbank.tafe.net/course/DOM/FFS500.htm

Speaking of inspiration...I was lucky enough to go and see Neil Whittaker at Swanns a couple of weeks ago....talk about different! I was really quite impressed with him and even though what he showed us wasn't really practical....the ideas that I came home with I can use in everyday stuff without it taking me 50 million hours to do.

I am sorry you are not feeling well...it is always crap and especially if you have to talk to a bride....I hope she wasn't too fussy for you. Do you do alot of wedding work?

Thanks for that Sonya....

The Bride did end up booking so it was worthwhile....Feel a little bit better today, but I just hope I feel better by Tomorrow as I have 3 Weddings this weekend and I really need to perk up a bit.!!

Status
Not open for further replies.