littlecrazydaisy Intro

littlecrazydaisy

Jun 28, 2011
Poseyville
State / Prov
IN
Hello! My name is Tracy.. I am just stepping into this world of flowers.... looking for any advice someone is willing to share.

I am buying a flower shop and hope to have possession by the end of July.

I am very excited, but have so many things yet to accomplish. POS system.. ???? Wire service???

Welcome to the FlowerChat Community.... best wishes on your endeavor...

Do you have any shop experience?

As to POS... www.masdirect.com no need to look further...

Website... www.demoflowershop.com

Wire Service... I would not get involved with the slimy side of the industry if I were you...

Enjoy your visit...

Thank you BOTH! :) I have heard very nasty thing about wire services - thank you for your input. I have not looked into MAS Direct yet, but will do that now. I looked (quite extensively) into Floristware, they seem very helpful on the phone and the trial was quite impressive, cost of $150 a month was a shock (is that price to be expected?) I have NO floral experience. I did just return from a two week trip to Southern Florida (flower school) so that I wouldn't appear TOTALLY ignorant. I will (I believe) be retaining two of her employees, so if that holds true, that should be a big help.

Are you going to the South Florida School of design with Walter?......and yes, software for $150 a month with no contract is fair.

Are you going to the South Florida School of design with Walter?......and yes, software for $150 a month with no contract is fair.

No not South Florida with Walter.. but have heard about him. :) I went (the past two weeks) to the Center for Floral Studies in West Palm.
Good to know about the cost. Thank you.

Hi there Tracy, glad you found us. Welcome!

I have a couple of questions. Is the former owner going to be working with you for a bit or are you already working with her? I would suggest you get that as part of your package.

Are there any weddings or other events booked? If so make SURE you get the deposits that were made!!!!!

Is the shop already wire-service free? Keep it that way, do not fall for the seduction, everything they offer you can get on your own without the slave collar.

Is there a website? You want to have that.

Ask any questions you may have, somebody is almost always hanging out around here. :)

I think maybe she went to the school John Klingle has. He's a nice guy. And really good designer.

Hi there Tracy, glad you found us. Welcome!

I have a couple of questions. Is the former owner going to be working with you for a bit or are you already working with her? I would suggest you get that as part of your package.

Are there any weddings or other events booked? If so make SURE you get the deposits that were made!!!!!

Is the shop already wire-service free? Keep it that way, do not fall for the seduction, everything they offer you can get on your own without the slave collar.

Is there a website? You want to have that.

Ask any questions you may have, somebody is almost always hanging out around here. :)
Former owner is NOT going to be working with me. (I do not want that & neither does she)
Asking about any weddings or events booked is a WAY good thought that had not crossed my mind with all that is going on, I would have never thought about the deposit till owner was long gone - thank you.
The shop has telaflora and FTD -- I have told both that I am undecided and will not be using them at this time.
I got a domain littlecrazydaisy.com but I have not even started on a building it, do you have suggestions?

I got a domain littlecrazydaisy.com but I have not even started on a building it, do you have suggestions?
Best choice... www.demoflowershop.com is run by a 5th generation real florist, is floral specific and a dang good deal... he hangs out around here from time to time too ;)

Good choice on the wires....

Reactions: theRKF
Former owner is NOT going to be working with me. (I do not want that & neither does she)
Asking about any weddings or events booked is a WAY good thought that had not crossed my mind with all that is going on, I would have never thought about the deposit till owner was long gone - thank you.
The shop has telaflora and FTD -- I have told both that I am undecided and will not be using them at this time.

Every shop that has used Strider raves about their site and support.

can I ask what made you buy a flower shop when you have no training and have not worked in one?

Just asking as I find it interesting when people change jobs why they choise to change to that one?
I bought my shop 3 yrs ago this week .

Can anyone give me any suggestions as to where to turn for giftware? I am about 30 minutes from the nearest store, so I think we will get a lot of 'gift' shopping.

Reactions: littlecrazydaisy
can I ask what made you buy a flower shop when you have no training and have not worked in one?

Just asking as I find it interesting when people change jobs why they choise to change to that one?
I bought my shop 3 yrs ago this week .

It is something that I have always wanted to do... Ever since I can remember.. I wanted to work in a flower shop..ALWAYS. I was a banker and had made it as far up the ladder as I wanted to in the banking world ~ my husband suggested that I follow a dream.

3 yrs ago.. wow! How often do you regret it?

It is something that I have always wanted to do... Ever since I can remember.. I wanted to work in a flower shop..ALWAYS. I was a banker and had made it as far up the ladder as I wanted to in the banking world ~ my husband suggested that I follow a dream.

Well, good luck. Not to sound condescending, but I hope you know what you're getting into. We have hired many, many people over the years who had always wanted to work with flowers...only to have them quit a week or a month later because they had "no idea it was such hard work". While you won't be working banking hours, your banking background should help you out a lot! As far as gift vendors, here's a few we use:

www.creativecoop.com Very large selection with many different themes. A wide variety of price ranges.
www.myevergreenonline.com Good garden products like bird baths.
www.rootcandles.com Our favorite overalll candle line.
www.cnfei.com Great tabletop linens-we get lots of people coming back again and again for these....very good quality at a reasonable price.
www.tickledpinkgift.com Scarves, hats and jewelry. Great selection....we keep selling scarves!
www.allstatefloral.com Great selection of silk flowers and related accessories. Wide price range.

Hope that gives you something to look at for awhile.

P.S. I echo the sentiments of others....NO wire service.

Reactions: littlecrazydaisy

rarely do i regret it.. my regret right now is its SUMMER and my part time designer quit in april leaving me in the store 6 days a week. That is normally OK with my kids in school , but for the summer I liked my 2 days home with them.... I miss baking, and gardening and being "there" for my boys at home... BUT I am sticking it out. I knew going in this could happen....

Hi
Are you keeping the florists on that work at the shop at the moment or are you going to hire new florists.
I know 4 people who have bought shops with no proper experience as well and all have either killed the shops reputation off and failed or have struggled if the staff have left and couldn't find replacements. They have all since given it up either by closing the shop down or selling up. I worked for 2 sisters that bought the shop I worked at. I had already planned to leave when they took over. I was there for a month with them and they tried to pick my brains constantly about the stock pricing and availablity, wanted me to give them all my knowledge of the business etc. I told them if they needed me to manage the place they should pay me accordingly. They wouldn't - so I let them discover everything for themselves. They lost a brilliant team of staff in less than 3 months - there was 7 of use including sales staff and drivers.
I don't want to sound negative but if you can get good training or start it prior to taking the shop over it will certainly put you in alot better position with staff, customers and wholesalers. They can all be very critical if they are faced with someone with little or no experience - it can make your staffs life very difficult and can create a very negative vibe in the business. And wholesalers can be ruthless when faced with new blood. I would certainly see if you can go in and get a feel for the shop prior to signing on the dotted line and get some knowledge for the owner. You can always change things when their gone.

I wish you luck with your new venture and hope all goes well for you.