Status
Not open for further replies.

David

Jan 21, 2003
Cambridge
www.centralsquareflorist.com
State / Prov
Massachusetts
I look at lots of florist web sites and do not see a page of cash and carry prices on almost any of them. I have thought of doing this. I wonder why more don't do it? Would it seem to show that are arrangements are over priced? If I did it I would show some of our typical cash and carry prices. Tulips 8.00. Roses 12.00 a dozen, Orchids 20.00 for a 10 stem bunch etc. An exception is Oberer's Flower Market Page.

Reactions: Mocha Rose
I think its a good idea but hope that people don't ask why a bunch of 10 Tulips is $7.95 and a vase with 10 Tulips & greenery is so much more. Then you have to explain the whole, vase, labour, greens aspect to them. Still, its a good idea for a "Fresh Picks" for Pick up only at our store" sort of thingy.

Reactions: floraldesignson99th
I already did this on an info page HERE

I see it under your wedding section. Do you think your customers
know it's for everyday purchasing. Should you place it in a more visible spot? Are you getting any traffic to the page?

I agree completely! Great idea, that Oberers... One to emulate for sure.

So much local traffic, how many are looking at what you offer as a whole. $60 vased roses won't get them in, which is why before valentines we added the Winnipeggers page geared towards walk in customers.

We offer $14.99 bouquets, (not on valentines) they need to see that. I believe it helped our walk in huge on VD. GET THEM IN THE STORE, then upsell when they see the great stuff the girls are creating.

Was just checking out the bunches page from Oberers the other day. Totally going in that direction with our stuff too. Absolutely great idea.

I think it's a great idea- and it will be on my back burner until I can figure out a way for it to work for me.
I want people to think of me first when they need ANYTHING floral- not just birthday flowers.
this is a step in the right direction- I don't carry lots of fresh inventory as some of you do, but I could have a special order page- just having a list available on my site is one more thing I can have for my customer that my competition doesn't have. :)

I think it's a great idea- and it will be on my back burner until I can figure out a way for it to work for me.
I want people to think of me first when they need ANYTHING floral- not just birthday flowers.
this is a step in the right direction- I don't carry lots of fresh inventory as some of you do, but I could have a special order page- just having a list available on my site is one more thing I can have for my customer that my competition doesn't have. :)

Although, with so many great sites here, i don't like to do this, but check out www.dragonflyflowers.com I placed it very prominently as "walk ins". Not much on the following page, but it gets them thinking about coming in I would hope, rather than, bouncing due to prices, when they see our ordering page (as local customers, I would think that non locals would hit it, and really know that we are B&M)

Biggest problem is my updating time. Spend too much time on FC!!!!!

I already did this on an info page HERE

I got the idea from Darrel (LJVF)"Buy the Bunch"

Yes, it worked pretty good, I temporarily took it down, it wasn't SEO friendly. After I finish with some projects on my table I will have it up again.

BTW, I got the idea from Randy.

I look at lots of florist web sites and do not see a page of cash and carry prices on almost any of them. I have thought of doing this. I wonder why more don't do it? Would it seem to show that are arrangements are over priced? If I did it I would show some of our typical cash and carry prices. Tulips 8.00. Roses 12.00 a dozen, Orchids 20.00 for a 10 stem bunch etc. An exception is Oberer's Flower Market Page.

David,

I did it for several reasons.

One, there is someone in town selling a good amount of flowers to do-it-yourself-brides. I thought there was a good opportunity to sell to do-it-yourselfers as well.

Two, we recently opened two new stores in Columbus and Cincinnati. Both are in very high rent districts so I want to find a good niche for people who want nice flowers for their homes, hopefully driving a good walk in business.

Three, we already have people come in to buy loose flowers. This public display of prices not only aids the customer but my sales staff as well. They no longer have to ask how much can I sell a bunch of this or a bunch of that for?

Four, All stores combined we have over 5,000 sq ft of cooler space, and we carry a huge inventory. We have a buying advantage over most shops so our pricing is aggressive. So, I figure that's an advantage for us so why not flaunt it.

Five, I think it gives us credibility to the public who sees the list. I think many consumers feel like florists are hiding something from them by not pricing their product. It gives us more transparency to them.

Eventually, I'd like to offer the product for sale online, but that's another project.

RC

I see it under your wedding section. Do you think your customers
know it's for everyday purchasing. Should you place it in a more visible spot? Are you getting any traffic to the page?

I did have it on it's on info category for awile but took it down before Vday....for now I have it with the wedding section..
I will put it back on it's own category eventually...
thx David
PS- I did not get traffic or inquiries about the page even when I had it on it's own...

I agree with RC, wold be interesting to be able to purchae the bunches online. but thats another whole project!

I was sitting here reading your posts, and a PEAPOD (peapod is a company that delivers groceries from grocery stores) truck drove by. A thought came into my head: Has anyone ever thought about developing a fresh flower market direct to your home. Im thinking for shops that have little or no walk in traffic.

I too plan to add a list of by the bunch items, probably not everything but maybe...

Randy, I'm curious, do you repackage everything like your Roses in the Raw or do you leave farm sleeves on?

If many of us did this, it might make a hit on places like Costco (don't have one here) as we can advertise "Florist Quality Stems by the Bunch!" or something.

I too plan to add a list of by the bunch items, probably not everything but maybe...

Randy, I'm curious, do you repackage everything like your Roses in the Raw or do you leave farm sleeves on?

If many of us did this, it might make a hit on places like Costco (don't have one here) as we can advertise "Florist Quality Stems by the Bunch!" or something.

There are some cool paper sites I found on some blog sites that you can create your own labeling etc. I'll dig em up.

Ok, I am confused. What is the advantage of selling my flowers to my customers at a wholesale level? Does that not just give the basement bettys an easier way to operate? I guess for me the biggest cost for us is labour, so therefore I want to sell design. Thats what makes me different than the other shops, great design and great service. I save my cash and carry for just that, a loss leader to get people in my store in hopes that they buy something else while they are here. I am not sure I would make that same offer on the net??? Am I way off in my thinking here?

I think this idea has a great deal of potential. It brings in a new DIY customer, someone who is not going to purchase a designed piece because s/he likes to work with flowers.

It also allows a shop to buy in quantity, at a lower cost. If these DIY flowers are wrapped in brown kraft paper, not gift wrapped, it would not be a gift option either and wouldn't take away from your gift sales. It's a whole different customer.

I want to be THE place to go for flowers in my town. I don't want the DIY to go to the supermarket for a wilting bunch of alstromeria when they could be shoping in my store. If you can build up that customer as a secondary market, I think they will also come to you for their sympathy, funerals, gifts, etc., the stuff you make some real money on.

Ok, I am confused. What is the advantage of selling my flowers to my customers at a wholesale level? Does that not just give the basement bettys an easier way to operate? I guess for me the biggest cost for us is labour, so therefore I want to sell design. Thats what makes me different than the other shops, great design and great service. I save my cash and carry for just that, a loss leader to get people in my store in hopes that they buy something else while they are here. I am not sure I would make that same offer on the net??? Am I way off in my thinking here?

Hey Missy:
I agree that selling design makes u stand out in the crowd...but how may of those great style customer go to the big box store to get those loose flowers (and there are many, spend time at the grocery or target and see who is buying these loose bunches).
This might add the advantage of increasing sales, larger in shop invetory, and walk ins...people may feel that your "brand" may not include them.
It is a great way to force youself into todays consumer trend of loose cut flowers, and important they see that B & M store fronts are ready to sell their flowers also, and they have the style brand you are working towards.
DO NOT lose an opportunity to have those sales within your store.
JMO!

Reactions: sandytf
goldfish really does a good job with his "todays inventories" section. He literally updates it almost every week.

http://www.flowers-insolita.com/todaysflowers.html

Thank you! :)

"Today's inventories" page is our third most popular page actually. I think every florist with web site should this. Since most inventories are unchanged, it takes only 30 min to update.

I'm pretty sure that showing what flowers we have today is very important to most call-in customers. I believe it gives them a confidence, enticing them to call us rather than moving away from our site.

Status
Not open for further replies.