Status
Not open for further replies.

Memo

I Suck Cuz I'm Banned
Oct 17, 2007
Richland Hills
State / Prov
Texas
We provide wedding floral arrangments, rental and fresh. We also provide quality digital DVD photo memories for all those party's and events we serve.

Do you work out of your home? Have a studio? Have a shop? How long have you been in business?

Hi Memo,
How interesting to provide the florals and photography for weddings! I tried to look up your business but didn't find any results. Do you have a studio, or store or office that you work from? And what types of arrangements do you design for weddings?

tracy

Hi Memo,
How interesting to provide the florals and photography for weddings! I tried to look up your business but didn't find any results. Do you have a studio, or store or office that you work from? And what types of arrangements do you design for weddings?

tracy
Tracy, we are always changing with the times and locations that we do our sub-contract work. We have become mobile and that seems to be the standard today within this USA industry. It's no secret that anyone can design fresh flower arrangments for a wedding at a profit as long as one has a supplier of the fresh flowers and the mechanics with low prices. Our work is the package deal and we do not operate out of a stone built shop. In today's world of Martha Stewart TV we adapated to the concept of what she was telling brides to be on TV, we went after the scraps. We work for ourselves and we will not get into websites or facts about our operation. I joined this forum because someone told us about it. We feel that were being scrutinized for just joining this site? Is this board friendly? or not?
All we wanted was to see what others are talking about. I guess we as non brick are not welcome?

Hi Memo,

tracy
Tracy, we are always changing with the times and locations that we do our sub-contract work. We have become mobile and that seems to be the standard today within this USA industry. It's no secret that anyone can design fresh flower arrangments for a wedding at a profit as long as one has a supplier of the fresh flowers and the mechanics with low prices. Our work is the package deal and we do not operate out of a stone built shop. In today's world of Martha Stewart TV we adapated to the concept of what she was telling brides to be on TV, we went after the scraps. We work for ourselves and we will not get into websites or facts about our operation. I joined this forum because someone told us about it. We feel that were being scrutinized for just joining this site? Is this board friendly? or not?
All we wanted was to see what others are talking about. I guess we as non brick are not welcome?

Are we supposed to welcome you with open arms with a comment like this? This forum is for floral professionals, we ask these questions because we want professional with a professional attitude. We have many non-brick and mortar florists here, they conduct their business here with dignity and respect and are professional at all times. I find that your answer is defensive and disrespectful and that will be the reason you would be voted off the island far sooner than from being a non-brick and mortar shop.

I joined this forum because someone told us about it. We feel that were being scrutinized for just joining this site? Is this board friendly? or not?
Hi Memo,
Yes, the board is very friendly, and extremely hepful. Yes you are being scrutinized, though not in the malicious way you may think. As you are in the wedding business, you must realize that there is information here shared among professionals that we prefer to not disclose to the general public. Part of that protection involves asking new member applicants to tell us something about themselves. I apologize if the questions seem terse - your original post did not give much information, and came off as giving a very perfunctory answer. This lack of communication leads to a natural tendency toward doubt and suspicion.

We work for ourselves and we will not get into websites or facts about our operation.
Interesting. This place is not anonymous. We all share our actual business names, locations. If you are hestiant to do this, this also leads to a natural tendency toward doubt and suspicion.

All we wanted was to see what others are talking about. I guess we as non brick are not welcome.
Not true. The very same day you posted, another studio shop posted a lot more information, answered questions about her experience and her business and is now a registered user. We have many members who are studio shops, who have coolers, websites, business licenses and all the legal mumbo jumbo that is part of being a business. We've seen our fair share of folks who know nothing of the floral industry, and yet claim to be professional florists. Nobody's asking to see a P&L or business plan - pretend we're clients asking you for your 30 second elevator speech.

So answer some questions, tell us a little more about your experiences in the floral industry. If you don't like the rules, then you don't have to play - but you won't be welcomed into the sandbox.

regards,
tracy

Reactions: 4 people
Hi Memo,
Yes, the board is very friendly, and extremely hepful. Yes you are being scrutinized, though not in the malicious way you may think. As you are in the wedding business, you must realize that there is information here shared among professionals that we prefer to not disclose to the general public. Part of that protection involves asking new member applicants to tell us something about themselves. I apologize if the questions seem terse - your original post did not give much information, and came off as giving a very perfunctory answer. This lack of communication leads to a natural tendency toward doubt and suspicion.

Interesting. This place is not anonymous. We all share our actual business names, locations. If you are hestiant to do this, this also leads to a natural tendency toward doubt and suspicion.

Not true. The very same day you posted, another studio shop posted a lot more information, answered questions about her experience and her business and is now a registered user. We have many members who are studio shops, who have coolers, websites, business licenses and all the legal mumbo jumbo that is part of being a business. We've seen our fair share of folks who know nothing of the floral industry, and yet claim to be professional florists. Nobody's asking to see a P&L or business plan - pretend we're clients asking you for your 30 second elevator speech.

So answer some questions, tell us a little more about your experiences in the floral industry. If you don't like the rules, then you don't have to play - but you won't be welcomed into the sandbox.

regards,
tracy

Thanks for your responce Tracypieface. If I'm understanding you correctly this flowerchat board is open to people working in the floral industry however one must be approved by a board of directors to be welcomed into the sandbox?

We did the brick and mortar thing as you folks call it years ago and moved on with today's times and went after the dollars that are flowing outside the box. We call it targeting those brides who want and need low prices without the troublesome of huge overhead operating expensives. One must reinvent their specialty service qualities they love to do and we did that. Martha Stewart sure helped with her monthly publication magazine and those shows on TV everyday. One must not sit around and operate on the old school floral standards that worked back when. The most important thing to remember is you also have to put food on your table and pay bills. It does not matter to us if we are not welcome here or cannot "play in the sandbox" we just visited and applied to see what this site was all about. We were never told that we might be in front of a firing squad to be accepted into an on-line chatboard on the internet.

Tracy wasn't being confrontational. I believe she was merely trying to get a better handle on what it is you folks do and how you do it. I too find your answers to be rather vague.

Kind regards.

Victoria

Personally I take your words as anyone can design wedding flowers for a profit given the right contacts for lower prices on materials as an affront.
I also personally take negative tones with you insinuating you take "the scraps" from the Martha generation. Those scraps are those who may need a little more direction on what they actually can produce given the "Martha" approach. That is what a florist does and can do. To avoid posting your quality designs on a web site for others to see (including prospective clients in your area) or not offer information regarding such designs, sends a darker message. Many others have come here with a much more open mind and are willing and eager to share their work. You seem to have reservations. If so, then so do I.
That is my humble opinion.

Reactions: 1 person
We provide wedding floral arrangments, rental and fresh. We also provide quality digital DVD photo memories for all those party's and events we serve.

In the new member intro section, there is a stick at the top with new member requirements. The requirements state that you need to make apost stating who you are. your business name and how and/or why you got into the business. The small blurb that I quoted does not say any of this. There is no way to check you out to see if you exist. This is why the questions ensue. This board is one of the friendliest I have come across. We have fun, make friends and discuss business. If you are running a legitimate business and would like to share in our wonderful community, the key word would be share. You must share with us if you expect us to share with you. Just treat it as if you were trying to get new friends. It wouldn't work out to well if you wouldn't tell a group of new people your name and what you liked. They wouldn't know how to make conversation with you. This is in effect what you are doing. We don't want to attack you, but if you get defensive right away it doesn't give anyone here that warm fuzzy feeling of boy, I'd really like to get to know that person....Loosen up and see what we are all about I bet it is not as bad as people are saying about us....or maybe it is, but I can tell you with the attitude you are currently flinging you will not find out..

In the new member intro section, there is a stick at the top with new member requirements. The requirements state that you need to make apost stating who you are. your business name and how and/or why you got into the business. The small blurb that I quoted does not say any of this. There is no way to check you out to see if you exist. This is why the questions ensue. This board is one of the friendliest I have come across. We have fun, make friends and discuss business. If you are running a legitimate business and would like to share in our wonderful community, the key word would be share. You must share with us if you expect us to share with you. Just treat it as if you were trying to get new friends. It wouldn't work out to well if you wouldn't tell a group of new people your name and what you liked. They wouldn't know how to make conversation with you. This is in effect what you are doing. We don't want to attack you, but if you get defensive right away it doesn't give anyone here that warm fuzzy feeling of boy, I'd really like to get to know that

person....Loosen up and see what we are all about I bet it is not as bad as

people are saying about us....or maybe it is, but I can tell you with the attitude you are currently flinging you will not find out..

Well said lori! take it from me I had a hard time in the first part of my flower chat getting to know people or rubbing the wrong way.but I slowly have been excepted back into the "sandbox" These man and women and myself are passionate about this biz and just want to know a little more info.. ~Tracy

Thanks for your responce Tracypieface. If I'm understanding you correctly this flowerchat board is open to people working in the floral industry however one must be approved by a board of directors to be welcomed into the sandbox?
Not the board of directors, the members - people who work in the flloral industry. As I said, we have many studio shops, as well as wholesalers, event only florists, traditional florists, freelance designers, employees, owners, students, teachers ...
Now it seems like you're interviewing me! And look at that, I'm not defensive in the least.

We did the brick and mortar thing as you folks call it years ago and moved on with today's times and went after the dollars that are flowing outside the box. We call it targeting those brides who want and need low prices without the troublesome of huge overhead operating expensives. One must reinvent their specialty service qualities they love to do and we did that. Martha Stewart sure helped with her monthly publication magazine and those shows on TV everyday. One must not sit around and operate on the old school floral standards that worked back when. The most important thing to remember is you also have to put food on your table and pay bills.
You'll find that the varied members here have changed with the times, some over the course of four generations of shop ownership; some in a few short years as a new event florist. You're not the only person who realizes that the vast changes in our industry require quick thinking and the ability to change on demand/need. That's part of the beauty of this place - feedback and sharing of ideas for just that very reason.

It does not matter to us if we are not welcome here or cannot "play in the sandbox" we just visited and applied to see what this site was all about. We were never told that we might be in front of a firing squad to be accepted into an on-line chatboard on the internet.
The site is about the floral industry - technology, design, marketing, news, wire services, website development, design galleries, florist directory. We like opinions here - there are spirited debates regularly.

If you'd like full access to the forum, you need to be a registered user. To be a registered user, you need to provide basic information about your connection to the industry this forum pertains to. Business Name, Location, Type of Floral related Business. If you wish to be a registered user, then answer some questions. No one here is a firing squad.

tracy

Ok, I ask the moderators of this board to please remove our registration from this board.
I wish all of you the best, Thank you Memo.

Ditto.....

rude secretive introductions don't work well I'm glad to see.

Just how was I rude Mr. Bloomz? or should I call you Jon? like I said we visited here via a friend who told us about this site and they were absolutely right...this place is viscious and rude. Mr. Bloomz is the one who once said he didn't like registered chat boards because it shows a resistance of open thoughts? Well Mr. Bloomz, your tune sure has changed with your reply. We guess Jon and others have found a place to not have to worry since they registered in 2003 before the stringent application requirments were set in place. What joke this place is. Please remove our registered account. We have nothing to share within this community since we do not fit into this private club of liberals.

Status
Not open for further replies.