Status
Not open for further replies.

twiggy

Jun 5, 2006
Yerington
www.yeringtonflowers.com
State / Prov
NV
Hi all..my website is now LIVE! tell me what you think, i'll be adding more pictures of the inside of the shop in the next couple of days.
mlou.. can you check it out? i'm NOWHERE on the search engines yet.. my competition (with NO website) is all over the place:confused:

I tried to post this in the web development page but 'I did not have permission'

twiggy - what's your URL? (web address)?

It will take a while for search engines to index your site, and longer to get them to display it at or near the top.

You competition has been listed in YP's, florist directories and other resources (for years?) so even if they have no site, they'll be mentioned on pages relevant to local search in your area.

You'll want to get listed on those same pages, too. :)

There will be more work ahead to earn your new site a place in top results.

Looks great! I love the logo - I sent you a customer service message.

:)

tracy

Looks good! Media99?

Who ever told you to redirect yeringtonflorist.com to yeringtonflowers.com gave you very good advice. :) Keep your ecommerce efforts focused on one site, especially to start.

The one thing I'd change is the way your wedding collections are displayed - http://www.yeringtonflowers.com/wedding_collections.htm They are all on an image so the words cannot be spidered by search engines. IMO the flower background also makes the text difficult to read, (esp with the curly font). Photos of the bouquet(s) would be a help - and I'm guessing you'll add those after you're up and running. :)

Good job on the product images.

Yes Media99, and i'll take care of that wedding collections page.
Cathy, the advice you have given on FC about the wedding collections and using the 4x8 piece of laminate for image background..helped so much in putting it all together! tytyty
Twigs first wedding (Sept 22) is actually a colleciton with more added!

SEO Advice

Some SEO tips:
  • 301 Redirects: Use a proper 301 redirect, not the tracking script, to point http://yeringtonflowers.com/ to www.yeringtonflowers.com. Google will see these as two separate sites. Your current tracking script uses JavaScript which Google doesn't follow. If anyone links to yeringtonflowers.com without the www. in front the link won't pass any juice to your site.
  • Same for yeringtonflorist.com and www.yeringtonflorist.com
  • Tidy the code:
    Move the JavaScript out of your page into a separate file.
    Make the Title tag the first item in the Head.
    Use the No ODP meta tag.
    Use the Prevent Smart Tag Processing meta tag.
  • Title: Change the title to something more SE friendly like: Florist Yerington Flowers | Twigs florist in Nevada (that's just a start). A very popular format among SEOs is "keyword : site title"
  • Your title and description should change with each page to something relevant to the page content.
  • Use Title tags on all your images and links.
  • Google Sitemap: Have Media99 create one that includes the dynamically created product pages. Then, submit it to Google through the Google Webmasters interface.
Is isn't a comprehensive review, but it's a start.

The site looks very nice! Once people find it, I think it should convert quite well. Do you have a blog as well? I think it would be neat to have a blog associated with the site with daily insights from a new shop owner. Just short postings on leading up to the opening, the excitement of the first few days, and specifically mention some of your favourite new customers (especially if they have a business). Make sure people know they are being mentioned on your blog. Everyone loves to be "on the net" and they might even link back to you!

Ryan

WoooHooo!

Yeah for you, Twiggy!
So excited that you have your site up and running.
Go to town with it!

May your business thrive and be successful for MANY years to come.

Cheers!:spintongu

# 301 Redirects: Use a proper 301 redirect, not the tracking script, to point http://yeringtonflowers.com/ to www.yeringtonflowers.com. Google will see these as two separate sites. Your current tracking script uses JavaScript which Google doesn't follow. If anyone links to yeringtonflowers.com without the www. in front the link won't pass any juice to your site.
# Same for yeringtonflorist.com and www.yeringtonflorist.com

No--stop redirecting these domains! This has been horrible advice from the beginning, and it's been floating around for years. Instead, update the DNS (or have Media99 help you) so that both are acceptable addresses to the same site. Then, create a Google webmaster account, and you can tell them to display all pages with or without the www. prefix. Google is aware of canonical domains these days, and by default considers both www.me.com and me.com to be the same site. Today, most registrars configure the DNS so that both www.me.com and me.com are allowable addresses.

Hmm ... got that horrible advice from Matt Cutts and Rand Fishkin.

Ain't nothing bad about doing a 301 in your .htaccess file for this. Actually, i think Media99 uses IIS so the procedure will be different but the goal is the same.

Ryan

Point me to Matt's post. That is bad advice--there are better ways to handle two canonical domains than a 301 redirect. My guess is, you'd only want to do a 301 if you did not have access to your DNS.

Hmm ... got that horrible advice from Matt Cutts and Rand Fishkin.

Ain't nothing bad about doing a 301 in your .htaccess file for this. Actually, i think Media99 uses IIS so the procedure will be different but the goal is the same.

Ryan

Point me to Matt's post. That is bad advice--there are better ways to handle two canonical domains than a 301 redirect. My guess is, you'd only want to do a 301 if you did not have access to your DNS.

Okay, guys! I'm more confused than ever. I have a site going live with Media99 in the next week and am wondering what I need to do.
(I know I'm hi-jacking your thread, Twiggy, but it's along the same vein. :)) I already confused since I have written keywords, etc. for my TF site and worried that I won't get the same ranking as before. This is confusing....we have to put on so many hats these days!

Ryan,

Follow the second article you linked to, and read the "post by Vanessa"

She says:

If I use this feature, should I still use a 301 redirect on my site?
You don't need to use it for Googlebot, but you should still use the 301 redirect, if it's available. This will help visitors and other search engines. Of course, make sure that you point to the same URL with the preferred domain feature and the 301 redirect.

Her whole post talks about a very cool tool Google added to its webmaster console last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.