Status
Not open for further replies.

felicityflowers

Aug 4, 2005
Felicity, Ohio
www.felicityflowers.com
State / Prov
Ohio
In case you were thinking about purchasing the new JHC Everyday images I just revamped my entire website to include them. There are a few I didn't include such as Christmas, Valentines and Fall. But, the majority are there.

I'm testing the site right now so it may be a bit slow and buggy but, at least you can see the images if you're interested. On the everyday page you'll only get to see thumbnails because I'm starving and going home but, you get the idea :)

www.felicityflowers.com

Enjoy :)

Reactions: 1 person
Thanks for the info on the pictures. I have been condidering them for our site as we are not affiliated with a wire service(don't want to be either-so don't call tf/ftd).You are the first person I know that bought them. Great web site.

Thanks for giving us a peek! I've also been considering it. are those your clever names and descriptions?? great job..on your entire website!
are the containers easy to find? I just talked to a rep from JH yesterday she mentioned a pricing guide.. what's that like?

It's very nice.
I am not trying to be rude, but, why are you not using your own images of your own designs?
I'm sure you are a fantastic designer. Don't you want the world to see that?
This is the fabulous opportunity our web sites give us - to show the world what we do. To showcase our strengths and differences.

For years, I thought our industry was immune from the "Walmart Effect" of big business stamping out small. That we, as florists, were so individualized, our design work so person and different, that a consumer would use me because of my designs - or, the florist down the street, because of their designs. No big business could possible capture the essence of what we do. But, the internet and the order gatherers have changed all that, and degraded what we do to boot.

My site is constantly a "work in progress". Not perfect or polished or remotely finished by any standards. But, for the most part - it's MINE, and it's my work (I do have a few TF images on it, trying to get rid of them). And, it does it's job. I get phone call, after phone call, after phone call daily with customers telling me they picked my site because it was different from the other sites, with different designs.

If a consumer cares enough to scout out a "real shop", not to have flowers dropped shipped, then they want a florist with an individual sense of style - just like in the old days. I think we are coming full circle again. Thank goodness!!!

So, John Henry is now in the internet business. I always have admired John Henry, how they create such a necessary niche for their products.

But, even though the designs are very nice, if we would all use them.....
We would create the same monotony that we are currently seeing with the TF and FTD sites.

I know that it sometimes seems that I can't possibly do one more thing for my shop. I am so overloaded with work - like we are all.
But, it's not that hard to set up a picture station and keep it ready for shots. When I moved into my new shop a few months ago, the first wall I painted was white, for picture backdrops. I bought a tripod for my camera (absolutely necessary). I have made it easy to take a quick picture. I recently bought a tripod light with an umbrella from Amazon, for $53.00. This helps do away with shadows. I also have an inexpensive version of photoshop, which I still don't understand.... I use a mac at home to download my pictures - iphoto makes basic editing very easy (I love macs!!!!!)
This fall, I plan on taking a digital picture taking class at the college I teach at. I know all of this is more work, but the opportunity of the web is where all of our futures lie. At least, this is what I believe.

I ultimately agree with Cherrie - and yet the new JH images are a great step to move away from the sameness of widely distributed WS pictures.

JH did a really good job on these, with a lot of style variety, a cleaner look, decent price points and better colors (although some bear a strong resemblance to 1-800's product photos.)

In reality, one of the reasons more florists don't move from WS hosted sites is that they don't have the time or resources to design, photograph, clean, upload, price, title and write descriptions for their own product catalogs. It's a big job.

This new tool from JH will help remove that barrier.

Heather, thanks for sharing the new photos with us.

P.S. I LOVE your new logo!

RC,
I think that your website is about the best out there for a traditional florist. I was exposed to your site long before I joined flowerchat.
When I was starting the process of building my site.
It was shown to me by my salesperson at flowerbuyer.com.
They thought it was the best site in the US.
Thanks for the inspiration.

Heather - thanks for sharing those!
I was on the fence after seeing the promo (too couture for our sleepy town for the most part), but will probably end up ordering it, so we can get further away from TF images.

I agree about the images needing to be our own, but find it hard to really commit time & space when we're busy getting everything out. It's a goal for this year - we've started already with a few here and there on our site. Encouragement and the detailed ideas to make it happen, provided by everyone here, keeps that goal in mind.

I really love the new look. I don't know where I have been, I didn't know about the new JH images.:loopy I guess I will check with them next week.
Sharon

Thank you all for the compliments on the site, it's not why I posted this thread but I still appreciate all the compliments.

Cherrie, Lol, when I read your reply I was thinking "I know, I know!" Of course I don't take your comment as rude but I will explain why I don't use my own images right now.

First of all, anyone that knows me knows that I am a perfectionist. Once I start messing with something I can't leave it alone. I made about 14 logos before I settled on the one that I chose.

Next, I run the shop all by myself with the exception of a little help with deliveries. I do the work of 4 or 5 employees PLUS I have two other jobs as well. I don't have the space or the time to create a catalog of my own images that look professional. I wouldn't be happy just slapping hurriedly taken images up on my site. You can easily look at my photos in the gallery here at FC to see how hurried I am when I take shots. When I'm running out the door with 30-40+ deliveries there is no time for a photo session.

There will come a day when I can afford to hire someone to take some of the burden off of me but, it's not right now. Obviously, the busier I get the worse it gets. Cherrie, I do agree with every thing that you said and I think that having non-WS images on your site is very important.

Twiggy, Yes the images come with a pricing CD and a recipe list for each design. The CD comes with descriptions for the images but I didn't use them.

Cathy and Randy - neither of you know how much your compliments mean to me. And if you think you do multiply that by a million and you'll be close ;)

I'm not a WS member so using those images isn't even an option for me. I think it's great that JHC is offering a fresh solution for those of us who are in my position.

Slap Em On

Next, I run the shop all by myself with the exception of a little help with deliveries. I do the work of 4 or 5 employees PLUS I have two other jobs as well. I don't have the space or the time to create a catalog of my own images that look professional. I wouldn't be happy just slapping hurriedly taken images up on my site. You can easily look at my photos in the gallery here at FC to see how hurried I am when I take shots. When I'm running out the door with 30-40+ deliveries there is no time for a photo session.

Let me tell you my friend, we know we are in the same boat, (except the 30-40 deliveries, LOL) I thought the same thing about the photos, and one day I just got over it. They are not perfect, far from it, but I tell you, my photos sell compared to the 1800 stock photos I am still removing. If nothing else, take a photo of your daily designs and start a google photo album, then have the link on your website to view your portfolio, I am constantly getting calls from the google album. Either way, the site looks great and you rock!:headbang:

Tracy,

Sounds like we are in the same boat! My town is the same way but, I find that it's the people from out of town that are finding my website and calling direct. My site is more for them- the locals just call or stop in for the most part.

Jean,

Lol, I have 30-40 deliveries for funerals/holidays and things like that, it's not an everyday occurrence but- it's when I have the most unique items being delivered. Lately, we've had about two big funerals a week but that's the exception not the rule. Oh and...thanks! :yourock: too :>

Tracy,

Sounds like we are in the same boat! My town is the same way but, I find that it's the people from out of town that are finding my website and calling direct. My site is more for them- the locals just call or stop in for the most part.
That's a very good point! Thank you!

I'm all for my own images and have many of my own on my site (about 90%) but having this as a resource, would let me have a break now and then.. especially when the holidays approach. It would let me get a few things up for early shoppers. Last christmas season I had to make my specials up WAY ahead of time so they would be on the website when customers started looking.
I'm not with a WS either and I do get the occaisional customer who wants to send something and needs to look at 'the book', I don't have a problem making them feel comfortable with their order without them looking at something.. but I think it would be very helpful to people working with me.

Tracy-- go for it.. even for your sleepy town. I'm surprised at what type of designs and flowers my local customers are choosing!! some of these customers i've known before my shop(at the other place) and 'thought' i knew thier style... NOT! ha ha
you just never know till you put something out there and see what happens!

I ultimately agree with Cherrie - and yet the new JH images are a great step to move away from the sameness of widely distributed WS pictures.

JH did a really good job on these, with a lot of style variety, a cleaner look, decent price points and better colors (although some bear a strong resemblance to 1-800's product photos.)

In reality, one of the reasons more florists don't move from WS hosted sites is that they don't have the time or resources to design, photograph, clean, upload, price, title and write descriptions for their own product catalogs. It's a big job.

This new tool from JH will help remove that barrier.

Heather, thanks for sharing the new photos with us.

P.S. I LOVE your new logo!
I too love the new images. BUT there is a down side for getting the floral products with the attributes noted above.....example, here is a list of Vendors that you would need to purchase the containers used in the John Henry Everyday Book;
Brody
Accent Decor
BloomNet (??)
Syndicate Sales
Western Pulp
SNK Enterprises
St George Crystal (now out of business)
Container Source
John Henry
Giftware Co., Inc.
Haeger
Oasis
OHN Floral
Regency
Vacuum Ornamental

Additionally, I need to round up the following items that do not have a vendor source for (I guess I will make trips to Hobby Lobby, Walmart, Target, and Lowes to get all of this);
Hot Pink 8x8x5 Faux Leather box
Wooden Recipe Box
Blue Ceramic Mug
Red Ceramic Mug
Gal Tin Watering Can
Galv Rectangle Cointainer
6" Clay Pot
3" Clay Pot
Soda Glass
Glass Beer Mug (not problem of us!)
Chocolate Ceramic Pot
5" Ceramic Pumkin
Red Ceramic Pot
Large Cappuccino Mug
Lime Green Ceramic Container
Mint Green Latte Mug

Of course the strong resemblance would come from J and The John Henry Company designing/producing the BloomNet Everyday Book.

I'm excited to hear the JH has a new book! We have been using their previous images on our website & they have gone over very well with our Webclients! In the day and age of website competition, JH has helped us remain different from the other shops in town. Check out what we've done with the JH images at www.asecretgardenflorist.com

Thanks for the new info!

Status
Not open for further replies.