Ontario Florists Conference 2004....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ryan wasn't the one who made a last minute decision to change the name and feel of the conference, due to a big cheque.

Used to be there WASN'T top billing ... it was the Ontario Florists Conference. Like it or not, the FTD Ontario Conference doesn't have the same ring. Neither does the TF OFC, or BN OFC, or the FlowerChat OFC ....

Tell you what ...

If'n I ever hit the Super7, I'm going to buy the whole darn conference, let Sandie do a design show and put Luc & Debbie in the honeymoon suite with the heart-shaped jacuzzi. No wire services on the brochure or letterhead.

Frank S can still buy the drinks :) :beer

I'll drink to that. Can we make it a 'hot tubs for florists who drive 10 hours or more'? I felt like I was bent in half by the time we got to the conference.

Audra

You've always been generous Ryan....

thank you for that!! One of our greatest obstacles, is getting a firm grip on the attendance of each florist, and ONCE we get everything in place, it MUST be paid for in advance...ESPECIALLY with resorts!!
Not one resort was willing to risk their "high time" revenues, with a "maybe there will be 125 florists" syndrome, so, in turn we HAVE to turn to "sponsors" to guarantee our expenses, or have ALL the monies from florists, 3 months in advance, non refundable, and whether you show up, or not, would no longer be an issue.
The "sponsor" of which you speak, openly called our OFC 2002 the best of all time, and most enjoyable, and STILL shortchanged us HALF of their promised funding, so, the following year, (last year) we had no choice...it's THAT simple!!

Mikey,

I'm not going into the funding issue of 2002 ... I've heard both sides, and both have a strong arguement - and neither fit for an open forum. I don't think it's as simple as you like to make it appear. Things seldom are ...

But it's interesting to hear you defend the actions of one board member who acted without committee concensus. You weren't so impressede last September.

I was not part of the

organizing committee, I was not overly impressed, and I DID NOT WALK AWAY from my commitment to this fantastic conference.
THE OFFICIAL OFC CHAIR, who has been doing this chore for many years, was faced with a "sponsor" that didn't keep it's promises, and decided to do what was necessary to make this past OFC a success, and along with the "event chair" and all the dedicated "event board", they pulled off a stunning success WITHOUT the help of "that sponsor", who's members decided to withdraw from fruitful participation.
Instead they chose to "sherk" their responsibilities, even in the face of not paying their bill from the previous year, and 'tried" the "withdrawl of support" psycholigy on the board, which didn't fall for it!!
So, FTD got top billing, and Flowers Canada joined the conference, and turned it into the success it was, because they PROMISED they would support it regardless of who attended, who participated, and who chose not to!!
Mike

That's what you've heard from someone on the committee ... as you said, you weren't involved, so I still say it's not appropriate for you to be discussing that issue in public as hearsay.

If committee members and those directly involved want to discuss this, it's their choice.

all "they'd" have to do is......

pay their committment, to end ANY more controversy...plain and simple.....
Mike

Ok , we are not going to acheive anything by discussing this all over again. I think enough is said ont he subject and I am for one going to put my heart in helping this year conference to make it successful. If there is any other members out there who would like to join or even help they should let the power to be known of their help. Seem Mikey is a middleman and can send us the name on who is in charge of this year conference so we can contact him or her and let them know of our intent.
Mikey, fo rme, If I can do anything please let me know.
Luc

I was there and I was involved

The funny thing is that you are all well aware of who was involved and who wasn't.
If you want the answers, the way it really was pick up the telephone and ask.
The fact that a shrinking group continues to push the conference forward the best way they see fit (writly or wrongly) is a testament to their commitment to the industry. The last thing most of the remaining committee members need is to spend valuebale time and energy putting up a worth while event just to get it thrown back in their faces. It is sickening.
You know how to reach me and I will be happy to pass along the chair persons name and number. She would be delighted to give anyone the facts.
What surprises happened last year that were so shocking??? Oh and just for the record, this conference was from day one an FTD event run by the FTD districts for the FTD florists. In recent years the committe had tried to open it up equally to all flroists and invited Teleflora, ETFA and FTD to all participate. We had hoped the same group would again participate equally last year. Some for their own reasons decided not to participate in the same way as they perhaps wanted to, or should have, or were willing to. Bottom line is that the music started and FTD was the only one willing to dance. For that it has now once again become the FTD Ontario Conference with the stipulation that it will be open to ALL florists.

Italo,
Very well said. THe sad thing is the florist who does not take advantage of this type of gathering. Some people when they see the word FTD or even Teleflora attach to a conference or gathering, they won't participate because of the sponsors.
If no sponsors was needed, then the cost of participating would be really high.
I would like to know who is the Chair person for this conference>?
Also contrary to some people beliefs, the people who organize this type of show pay just like anybody else. They volunteer their time & energy to make it successful because they like the results.
Luc

Status
Not open for further replies.