Votes: 22 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Rosiescenario said:
This is exactly the kind of project that can make a difference. !!!!!!!!!

Couple thoughts, however...

1) I believe there has been discussion on some of the webmaster forums that Google is devalueing links from pages title www.my-florwer-shop-url/links/ . Better to call it /Great-florists/ /Real-forists/ /Other-florists-we-recommend/ or similar.

2) Not sure the includes page will spider as well as HTML on your own site. Maintenance would no doubt be easier, however.

3) I have seen TF sites with outbound links but never to other florists.

1) Excellent point - those with an inependent website or who act as their own web master will be better suited to arrange this.

2) I have found Google spiders PHP pages fairly well. Just my personal experience, can't speak for the majority.

Here's a friend of mine's teleflora site - they do allow outside links on the main page
http://www.olsonflorist.com/

Let's be sure that everyone understands what type of link Ryan is suggesting...

The outside links in Blooms' example are known as Banner ads or banner links.

Normally text links are listed on a link page more like this:
http://www.donreynoldsflowers.com/links.html

Mary Lou Nix (mlou)
http://www.ilocalflorist.com/
Your Internet Local Florist Directory
[email protected]

Don't get mad... Get SERPS!!!

Wow, that was easy! So far, 19 people have indicated that they want to particpate but there are only a few links ready to go.

Get registered so that we can get you on our link page and everyone, please check back on a regular basis to make sure that you have everyone included. That is the only way this will work. Right?

Smiles

Here is the message I have received so far from Tele. webmaster.. e-mail from TF about the link request:

We'll spec this out and review the content before adding this.
Realistically, with the holidays upon us, it could take a week to 10 days.
[What is it supposed to do?]

Thanks, and happy turkey day! Geez what da ya think I should tell them?

Knife's Wife

flowerknife+us said:
What? No advise as to what I should TF this link does???

Knifes wife
I assume yoou mean what to "tell" TF this does... tell them to add it, and "It's none of their biz" what it does... :)

Have a SUNday!

I listed with dmoz 1 years ago, Checked back a month later and was surprised to see I did get listed right away. Was checking my listing at a later date and found when I entered my URL I did not show up. So for months I thought I was removed. Checked today and it stills shows me as not showing up in the project, anywhere! So as I was browsing around to see what shops were listed I found I am listed under the following:
would anyone here be able to tell me why I don't show up when I specifically enter my URL directly. WWW.colemanflorist.com

This makes no sense to me.

Regional: North America: United States: New York: Localities: S: Syracuse: Business and Economy: Shopping

flowerknife+us said:
I listed with dmoz 1 years ago, Checked back a month later and was surprised to see I did get listed right away. Was checking my listing at a later date and found when I entered my URL I did not show up. So for months I thought I was removed. Checked today and it stills shows me as not showing up in the project, anywhere! So as I was browsing around to see what shops were listed I found I am listed under the following:
would anyone here be able to tell me why I don't show up when I specifically enter my URL directly. WWW.colemanflorist.com

This makes no sense to me.

Regional: North America: United States: New York: Localities: S: Syracuse: Business and Economy: Shopping

I can answer that. It seems that one or more of the editors at dmoz thought that having a template site like Teleflora or FTD sites were not different enough. So they were booted. Now if you have any unique content on your site like arrangements from your own shop or such you might not be booted but I don't know how they graded these things.

Also if you use just wire service images on YOUR OWN site you got booted. I got booted because of this even though I also sell cheesecakes on my site. I also got booted from my local listing (I have not even checked to see if it is back) because they said they couldn't find my reall address. Well they obviously didn't look very hard because on EVERY page there is a link to our contact information.

And by the way it was a FLORIST that instigated this. One that I have lost respect for because of this move. I have worked hard making my site and what a blow this was esspecially since they have a TELEFLORA site themselves with just a few added pages of their own items and such.

I am sorry but for some reason this really smacks as self serving.

Please do not even try to ask me who this florist is because you will not ever get an answer from me. This is something that is done and knowing who was involed will not change anything.

Count me in...sounds great! I have TF website too and I am bascially lost when it comes to websites. Give me a computer problem and I can usually understand or fix it, but websites...whewwwwwwwww
I will just need to know in basic English what to do.

THANKS!

sweetscented said:
I have TF website too and I am bascially lost when it comes to websites. Give me a computer problem and I can usually understand or fix it, but websites...whewwwwwwwww
I "googled" you shop name and your site didn't appear on the first page of results. http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&q=Shirl+K+Floral+Designs,+Inc. . Not good.

Google does know it exists - http://66.102.7.104/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&q=cache:www.shirlkfloral.com but since there's no local address and only a toll-free number, and the products and text are virtually the same as every other template, you probably won't get much traffic via the search engines until you:
  • Add more personal information about your own business
    Add your location-identifying information on the page in as many places as possible
HTH

You and I are on the same page with eachother. Establishing a good link exchange program may be one of the most effective strategies we have. Please visit my site. I started putting this together a few months ago. It's a low cost way for florists to advertise and get links pointing to their sites. The site is:

http://www.bloominbee.com/flowershops/bloominbee.local.florist.directory.htm

Please keep me in the loop on this one I am very interested in working with other florists.

[email protected]

Buzz said:
You and I are on the same page with eachother. Establishing a good link exchange program may be one of the most effective strategies we have. Please visit my site. I started putting this together a few months ago. It's a low cost way for florists to advertise and get links pointing to their sites. The site is:

http://www.bloominbee.com/flowershops/bloominbee.local.florist.directory.htm

Please keep me in the loop on this one I am very interested in working with other florists.

[email protected]

I have to disagree with you... You and REAL FLORIST are not on the same page. Real Florist is about getting back the business that we have allowed to be taken from us by the wire services and the Ordergathers. Your site is about improving your link rating not others. Even the opening page attempts to persaude the consumer to order online with you before they have even attempted to located a local florist. I am not implying that you are deceptive, to the contary you spell it out pretty plainly that consumers will be redirected to your site if no florist has listed. We do not need another directory to join that will bring us a few orders a month, or year but will greatly benefit one individual, YOU. Real florist is about moving away from the wire services to form a new world of united florist that will enable us to provide the best service to our customers at a reasonable cost to both them and us.

Stick around and learn what we are about, we do really want you on the same page!

Thanks for the feedback Flowerknife. Although it is definitely not my intention to be deceitful, the text your referring to "Can't find a local florist in your area? Bloom'in Bee can take your order here at www.bloominbee.com or call Call 800-421-9811" could definetly be counter-productive given my true intentions. I will be removing it very soon. If you really look at the site closely, you'll see that my intention is to provide consumers a way to reach a real local florist direct. My site gives other florists the opportunity to increase the # of links pointing to thier sites which other online directories may not.My site is also designed so that the florists who do join, are not competing with other florists in the zip codes that they choose. If I were in this soley for my own benefit, why would I limit the # of florists per zip code and deny the internet florists without a real physical establishment the ability to join? Trust me, I really am with you on this one. Thanks!

While I agree the last thing we need is ANOTHER florist directory I must say the price is ridiculously right! $5.00 a year per zip code is a great fee.

BUT, and this is a BIG BUT, once you click on a non-member city it is ALL about YOU.

The page says, "We have Rio Roses". That is very misleading as you can only guarantee Rio's to people who are having something delivered in your local delivery area. That's anti-directory and full self-promoting! Arrangement of the month club and Voted #1 - both self-promoting and anti-directory! Order from one of our two sites is self-promoting and anti-directory!

Am I off the wall in a ditch in my thinking or what here? This site appears to be a huge order gathering attempt. Perhaps not, but just appears so.

As far as your own website as a florist - no problem. Two very good sites and why not promote Rio's and Voted # 1 and Arrangement of the Month for YOUR florist, but not on a florist directory site!

Would love to know your comments bloominbee. Thanks for reading! Happy New Year!

Lady Biker Florist said:
While I agree the last thing we need is ANOTHER florist directory I must say the price is ridiculously right! $5.00 a year per zip code is a great fee.

BUT, and this is a BIG BUT, once you click on a non-member city it is ALL about YOU.

The page says, "We have Rio Roses". That is very misleading as you can only guarantee Rio's to people who are having something delivered in your local delivery area. That's anti-directory and full self-promoting! Arrangement of the month club and Voted #1 - both self-promoting and anti-directory! Order from one of our two sites is self-promoting and anti-directory!

Am I off the wall in a ditch in my thinking or what here? This site appears to be a huge order gathering attempt. Perhaps not, but just appears so.

As far as your own website as a florist - no problem. Two very good sites and why not promote Rio's and Voted # 1 and Arrangement of the Month for YOUR florist, but not on a florist directory site!

Would love to know your comments bloominbee. Thanks for reading! Happy New Year!
Thanks for your comments Lady Biker. I can see how it might appear that way. The primary reason I have the non-member city/zips pointing toward my own site is so that other florists can get an idea of the way the site works. Once another florist wants those zip codes I simply change the link so that it directs the shopper to that florists site. For example, click this page and choose one of the Albuquerque zips: http://www.bloominbee.com/flowershops/newmexico.flowershops.htm
You be taken to Accent Floral & Gifts web site. At this point the shopper is directed away from the Directory to the Florists site. The local florist can promote products ,and services anyway they wish on their own site. Isn't that a lot better than a 2 or 3 line ad with a little contact information? I do realize I need to change my personal page to clarify that only I can offer the Arrangment of the month club in my local area, and that other Florists may not sell Rio brand roses, and will do so very quickly. Now then, is this an order gathering attempt? You bet it is! Isn't that why we are all in business. It's an attempt to help other florists as well as myself. The other big advantage this directory has is for the other florist who do not design or manage their own sites. Most florists have only a site designed by "the Big 2, or 3" . These companies don't optimize, these sites so that they are search engine friendly. You can search all day long and not get some of their sites to come up. You'll frequently get one of their corporate sites to come up but thats the way they take our profits. I am constantly trying to optimize each and every page of the directory to achieve higher rankings. This way at least the directory sends them customers. More comments are welcome. It helps me improve the site! Thanks

you can improve it by deleting all the areas you do not personally serve instead of trying to get florists like me Millinocket, Maine to pay you (along with every other @@@@ed directory service) to get a listing.
THEN and only then will the non internet savvy consumer probably actually find the shop they want to do actual business with. Wasting time wading through page after page and finally ending up sending through just another gatherer.

Just wanted to remind folks (and myself) about this thread. If you are new to FlowerChat, please read from the top and consider participating in this effort. Inbound links definitely help search engines find your site.

Note: My main site is hosted by a WS so I be placing the FC shop links on a page from http://www.floralsunique.com which has the same PR. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.