Peonies in September

concord

Helen
Jun 3, 2009
Concord
www.concordflowershop.com
State / Prov
Ma
A Bride getting married next September wants peonies. What do you think the chances are of getting them? And why don't bride's ever pick the month to get married in, when their favorite flower is in season?

I think it was Mocha Rose that posted peony bouquets last month. I also think I read something about them being grown in Alaska??? I hate quoting brides like this - too high$ and they go elsewhere. But hate to dissapoint too. I really like it if they understand I will try my hardest and I may have to stick in a few silk peony to pull it off. I have to quote an all white anenome wedding with peacock feathers for New Years eve. No other flowers, i'm already stressing. She has a picture and isn't gonna be happy with anything less.

I've never been able to find peonies in Sept. (or even after July!) What is it about them that she likes? The look? The smell? I know sometimes we will use large garden roses to sub if the look is what they're going after. I also think that large white football mums look similar to peonies in a bouquet...if you don't need pink.

Good luck...even if you do find one source, you have Mother Nature to contend with so I wouldn't make any promises!

I usually offer garden roses as a substitute. There are several great varieties that open up very much like a peony (Yves Piaget, Helga Piaget, and Karmel Antike from Peterkort are three of my favorites). And they smell fantastic, too. When someone says they want peonies, I simply say that "There is a small window in the spring when they are available, and if you'd like me to price getting them flown in from South America I can do it. Expect to pay about 3-4 times the cost." I've never had anyone take me up on the offer! They ALWAYS go for the garden roses.

I also have used football mums for the kind of ruffly look, if that's what's important. Carnations grouped together also give a great look. Be sure to SHOW her what the carns look like, as she'll probably turn her nose up at the idea until she sees it.

These brides all wanted peonies in the off season, and garden roses were substituted.
badtram bouquet.jpgHarman bouq 2.jpgMosser bouquet.jpg1 maynor bouq.jpeg1 obrien bride presentation.jpg

I saw Mayesh posting pics of Peonies from South America on Facebook today, maybe ask them?