Poll For Teleflora Users

Would you pay a one-time amount to buy FlowerClub?

• Yes

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • No

Votes: 5 45.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

theRKF

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2002
striderseo.com
State / Prov
DE
This should be a simple Yes / No type question.

Would you, as a Teleflora member, be willing to pay a one-time payment to effectively "purchase" FlowerClub (which Teleflora is trying to sell) and have FlowerClub merged into Teleflora.com, with all FlowerClub orders being sent to florists at 100% value?

I voted yes because it was a simple question but if it happened in real life there are many concerns I would have. First of all what happens if I leave Telefora? Is someone new joins Teleflora will they be able to get these orders?

These questions are never simple.

MOOT point....the way things have been going...FlowerClub will probably end up FTD :eek:

Wonder why TF wants to dump the orders generated by FlowerClub outa their system ??

Boss,

It's not a matter of dumping the orders .... (and I doubt FlowerClub will go to FTD). TF wants out of the order gathering business - they've been trying to unload FlowerClub since they bought FloraFax, but to anyone except FTD (to the best of my knowledge as a lowly florist).

If FlowerClub was merged into the TF.com system, the orders would still go through the system, just not as an OG-generated order.

What if McCann wouldn't pay fair value? There has to be a reason they haven't sold it to him already.

Flowerclub and TF

Ryan,

Where do you get the idea that TF wants to unload Flowerclub? That's the biggest cash cow they have. That early stuff about buying it to sell it was corporate fluff, spin, cover for the grand plan. If they wanted out of Order Collection they would have dumped USAA MANY moons ago.

They NEED flowerclub now to replace all the orders they have recently lost to FTD (flowersusa, flowerdirect, etc) and people they have alienated like the MAS users group. Those FC orders are ALREADY "merged" into the dotcom system. They will have WELL over a million orders by year's end.

Three months running now, one month my Mastercard statement had Flowerclub discounts in it, last month FTD.com, this month 800Z. They are in this race to win it. Who can blame them, 90% of their florists WANT orders and can't get them for themselves, measure the effectiveness of a WS by the number of incoming orders they get, so they're just making those florists' day by competing for orders. They're ramping that puppy UP, not down.

just my opin...as usual

Originally posted by Infinite
What if McCann wouldn't pay fair value? There has to be a reason they haven't sold it to him already.

That's true, perhaps no body else wants it so it lessens the value. It would fit nice with his existing business, call it 1800 Flowers - FlowerClub, or he could have consumers pay more to become a Premium member of 1-800 flowers, called FlowerClub for his clients who make a lot of purchases per year. etc.

If FlowerClub was merged into the TF.com system, the orders would still go through the system, just not as an OG-generated order.

Beg to disagree...it would just simplify things....TF owns Flowerclub..thus TF IS already an OG..IMHO....

Originally posted by BOSS
Beg to disagree...it would just simplify things....TF owns Flowerclub..thus TF IS already an OG..IMHO....

The problem is a company getting 20% + rebate to collect orders that should go to us.

Now, if TF did this and sent the orders at 100%, as they do with TF.com, doesn't that help the situation? (or perhaps at 93% so they get their 7% clearing?)

Thats millions of $$$ going to TF REAL FLORIST shops that might not otherwise be floral purchases (have you SEEN the crap that comes with your VISA bill??).

My problem is when a NON-florist gets 20% + rebate for answering a phone, or checking their email.

Ryan and Mark...

you are "polarizing" over WS's again!!
Each point is moot, we're FLORISTS FIRST,and since we CANNOT "convince" the towers of what it is we NEED to be helped with from a wire service perspective, we'll do it without them!!
Order gatherer's are commission thieves, no more,and no less, whatever their stripes,and as I've said before...
"IF you're a legitimate florist, with a highly performing web site, I'll fill your orders, as if they were my own!"
"However, IF you are NOT a legitimate florist, start looking over your shoulders!"
We must start somewhere, dismantling this floral gathering monster,and SINCE it was FTD that FIRST attempted to REDUCE commissions to SENDING FLORISTS/GATHERERS', it's FTD that gets the points,and NOT TF!!
Teleflora would NEVER have the nerve to reduce SFO's structures,and is attempting to mask this, by trying to eliminate them from their stable, HOWEVER, as much respect as I have for some of the hierachy of TF, TF is NOT a company that MUST answer to it's members and shareholders!
I re-iterate...WS's days are numbered,and the ONLY thing accomplished by being the biggest NOW, is that when the @@@@ hits the fan, the WS with the most members, will piss the most off!!
Mike:(

@@@@, I was wrong .....

Toto DID sign up, under Mikey's name!

Tel. is between a rock and a hard place with flowerclub. They can't operate it without being at odds with their claim to having the best intrests of its members at heart. But then, they can't really sell it without taking a loss. Some of their marketing with this entity goes to their own branding efforts that do benifit the members in a general way.
I can't see them doing all this work for free, but 10 % with (0% to the filler would be alot easier to swallow. Even I would fill those orders. How many times have we been told that about 10% of our gross revenues should be spent on promotion and advertising? Sure beats the pants off the current 27% rake currently being taken. I would even lower any fees associated with the privilage of placing ones order. Rome wasn'tbuiltin a day. Neither was its decline. Whoever helps the FLORISTS make money will servive.

When our local funeral homes are demanding (and getting from some shops) a 20% commission, I can certainly get behind the idea of getting $.90 on the dollar for this. At least you get to have a happy recipient, and the advertising $$$ come from someone else's pocket (atleast on the surface) so if the ads don't work, you're not out the ad money - if they do work, we're getting orders.

There is little repeat business from funeral work :(

When our local funeral homes are demanding (and getting from some shops) a 20% commission, I can certainly get behind the idea of getting $.90 on the dollar for this. At least you get to have a happy recipient, and the advertising $$$ come from someone else's pocket (atleast on the surface) so if the ads don't work, you're not out the ad money - if they do work, we're getting orders.

There is little repeat business from funeral work :(

Ryan:

The new changes to the funeral Act for Ontario, says Directors are supposed to have "ethics" I wonder if this includes trying to collect a bonus for business.

That's an old law by now......at least 10 and probably 15 years.....and it is disclosure, which only means that the funeral director must diclose to the consumer that he (she) makes a commission when selling flowers or other services!:rolleyes:

Originally posted by BBJ (Big Bad John)
That's an old law by now......at least 10 and probably 15 years.....and it is disclosure, which only means that the funeral director must diclose to the consumer that he (she) makes a commission when selling flowers or other services!:rolleyes:

The act is old yes, but there changes. Third reading of the Bill took place in the house yesterday Dec.10/02.

Passed into law yesterday is the Funeral, Burial and Cremation Services Act, which governs cemeteries, crematoria, funeral homes, and market and casket retailers. Among the new rules are better price disclosure, increased access to "no frills" alternatives, a clampdown on pre-paid services, a code of ethics, and a 30-day cooling off period.

====================================
TORONTO, Nov. 20 /CNW/ - Minister of Consumer and Business Services Tim Hudak today introduced a bill to modernize and strengthen consumer protection in the bereavement services sector, including cemeteries, crematoria, funeral homes, and marker and casket retailers "It is important to ensure a high standard of service and ethics in the sector, given the value of the expenditure and the vulnerability of a person whose loved one has just passed away," said Hudak. "The proposed Funeral,
Burial and Cremation Services Act, 2002 aims to help consumers make informed decisions, while promoting a fair marketplace for businesses in the sector."
The bill proposes to consolidate Ontario's two key bereavement statutes,
the Cemeteries Act (Revised) and the Funeral Directors and Establishments Act
in a modern legislative framework to improve consumer protection and provide
clearer and more consistent regulation of the sector.
"The proposed legislation, part of the most comprehensive review of
consumer protection ever undertaken in the province, is based on the important
objectives of fairness and responsiveness to the needs of consumers and
businesses, and flexibility to adapt to the future needs of the Ontario marketplace," said Hudak.
Joan Huzar, President, Consumers Council of Canada said: "All the stakeholders were represented in the consultation sessions and agreed to a consensus document that is closely reflected in proposed legislation to provide excellent consumer protection."

Advantages of the proposed legislation include the following:

- Broadened disclosure, including the availability of information through
educational brochures and standardized price lists;
- Increasing access to alternative or "no frills" services. The bill
allows for new business models, which will lead to more consumer
choice;
- Expanded trust requirements for prepaid services;
- Licensing of marker retailers and casket retailers;
- Permitting interment and scattering rights holders to sell rights they
no longer require;
- Providing that all licensees comply with a Code of Ethics. Currently
only funeral directors are subject to a set of code of ethics;
- Offering a 30-day cooling off period in which consumers may rethink
their decisions;
- Providing for the creation of a compensation fund scheme for all
licensees, where consumers would be compensated for financial loss if
the licensee fails to provide the good or service purchased. Currently,
only funeral directors have a compensation fund;
- Providing for the combination of cemeteries and funeral homes; and
- Levelling the playing field regarding property taxation.

"Our modern, multi-cultural society, as well as changes in social
attitudes, require that bereavement sector legislation ensure access to
alternatives and increased consumer protection, said Pearl Davie, of the
Federation of Ontario Memorial Societies and the Funeral Consumer Alliance.
In addition to the proposed Funeral, Burial and Cremation Services Act,
2002, Ontario's consumer protection initiatives include the proposed Consumer
Protection Statute Law Amendment Act, 2002, which would amalgamate nine
current consumer protection statutes into a single modern legislative
framework.
For further information on the government's consumer protection
initiative, contact the ministry at (416) 326-8800 in Toronto or toll free at
1-800-889-9768. The TTY numbers are (416) 325-3408 or 1-800-268-7095.

Peter...you're getting a little more...

valuable each time you take the time to do this research, post it to the proper locations,and inform florists and other industry affiliates of changes and legalities of the business we are in!!
I MAY be time to also start looking at REQUIRING Professional Florists to be licensed with a code of ethics and apprenticing!!
To make this a TRULY professional field, we gotta start acting it,and the days of just ANY "Jenna" coming along and setting up shop, are numbered,along wire services,and order commision thieves!!
We've turned away EVERY 1800flwrs order this holiday, EVERY Sears order this holiday, EVERY non florist generated order..and if YOU do the same, soon, they're zippo, UNLESS we get this commission structure changed..and REAL QUICK!
Thank you PETER, for staying on top...it'll help build YOUR dream business...BlossomsNetwork!!
Mike:)

Re: Ryan and Mark...

Originally posted by Mikey the Flower Guy
you are "polarizing" over WS's again!!
Each point is moot, we're FLORISTS FIRST,and since we CANNOT "convince" the towers of what it is we NEED to be helped with from a wire service perspective, we'll do it without them!!
Order gatherer's are commission thieves, no more,and no less, whatever their stripes,and as I've said before...
"IF you're a legitimate florist, with a highly performing web site, I'll fill your orders, as if they were my own!"
"However, IF you are NOT a legitimate florist, start looking over your shoulders!"
We must start somewhere, dismantling this floral gathering monster,and SINCE it was FTD that FIRST attempted to REDUCE commissions to SENDING FLORISTS/GATHERERS', it's FTD that gets the points,and NOT TF!!
Teleflora would NEVER have the nerve to reduce SFO's structures,and is attempting to mask this, by trying to eliminate them from their stable, HOWEVER, as much respect as I have for some of the hierachy of TF, TF is NOT a company that MUST answer to it's members and shareholders!
I re-iterate...WS's days are numbered,and the ONLY thing accomplished by being the biggest NOW, is that when the @@@@ hits the fan, the WS with the most members, will piss the most off!!
Mike:(

FTD only needs to answer to its shareholders. Ultimately the "members" have no say, and have had no say in its operation for several years. There ARE reasons some 6000 members left. And their ARE reasons they need to offer FREE membership.

If Teleflora unloads F.C. Good bless um. Let the order gatherers marginalize the FTD membership.

Status
Not open for further replies.