queennbm Intro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Queen, thanks for joining. Don't take comments personally, I'm sure people will get to know you and like you.

This is a pretty active forum with people just like you and me just trying to make it in the industry and requires participation for members to get to know you. You got voted in by people who voted yes right?

Welcome.
Thom

The questions are fine. People just don't expand and often they don't answer our queries. That's my frustration.

V
I thought this was the place to come and receive some insights, have some business related questions answered and meet some other nice florists. I guess because I don't have all the credentials after my name I am not qualified to be here. Never did I post negative things, I only answered the few questions that were on the sign up page. Nowhere did it say if I wasn't AIFD owning a floral store selling Valentine's candy, Boyd Bears and fruit baskets I could not participate in a forum. Shall I supply everyone with my accountant and tax attorneys phone numbers? Or maybe I'll post my tax returns? I am really shocked by the animosity found here. SproutFlowers thought she was helping me by sending me here. I hope I find what I am looking for, but my initial reaction is appall. Wow, just wow.

Hi Queen, thanks for joining. Don't take comments personally, I'm sure people will get to know you and like you.

This is a pretty active forum with people just like you and me just trying to make it in the industry and requires participation for members to get to know you. You got voted in by people who voted yes right?

Welcome.
Thom
I have no idea how this place even works. I didn't know about votes or anything. A fellow florist friend told me to register because I could find some answers to some questions. She thought I might benefit from a variety of answers. It's hard not to take a full frontal attack personally. Thanks for your kind words. :)

I have no idea how this place even works. I didn't know about votes or anything. A fellow florist friend told me to register because I could find some answers to some questions. She thought I might benefit from a variety of answers. It's hard not to take a full frontal attack personally. Thanks for your kind words. :)
AND, I didn't know I was required to be logged on all the time. I joined, and then proceeded to work on an event and then I had an industry event to go to. Just in case everyone was wondering why I wasn't online posting answers to their questions. Maybe this is the wrong place for me.

I thought this was the place to come and receive some insights, have some business related questions answered and meet some other nice florists. I guess because I don't have all the credentials after my name I am not qualified to be here. Never did I post negative things, I only answered the few questions that were on the sign up page. Nowhere did it say if I wasn't AIFD owning a floral store selling Valentine's candy, Boyd Bears and fruit baskets I could not participate in a forum. Shall I supply everyone with my accountant and tax attorneys phone numbers? Or maybe I'll post my tax returns? I am really shocked by the animosity found here. SproutFlowers thought she was helping me by sending me here. I hope I find what I am looking for, but my initial reaction is appall. Wow, just wow.

It has nothing to do with not being AIFD and all that stuff, it's because you didn't reply to the active members questions right away. With that said, I'd be defensive too if I came back and read these posts. When I first joined here, it took me awhile to catch on. In fact, after first applying I don't think I came back until 6 months later. Luckily for me there were no replies in my intro thread.

Don't take their questioning too hard, they are some of the few here that take the time to do the gatekeeping. If they didn't do it, then everyone and their mother would get in here. Spend some time on these forums and you will understand where they're coming from, I think you'll find it's not as bad as your first impression.

Wow. Hello. Yes I am licensed, legal and pay taxes. I don't have a shop because I don't do day to day arrangements, I only provide flowers and decor for events. Should I not be on this site?

Not that is not it, it was just a question to get to know if you do belong here, sorry you took offense to it...Part of the weeding out of people is the asking of question when answered very short...We have had people here that opened up a flower biz with an airconditioner in a room and asking questions like I bought these roses yesterday and today they are all dead what do I do....we don't have time for teaching the masses from ground zero to run their shops against us...we also do not want people here that are running biz out of their homes and not paying the proper taxes, because it gives them an unfair advantage over any florist paying these fees, it makes them able to undercut us and win the jobs that we spend many hours trying to get....

Answering these questions with an attitude will not win friends and makes you look less than professional and will not be tolerated...but you are already a memebr and a few here have vouched for you so I do hope that this can be turned around, but that will be up to you and your further remarks and how they are taken by the community....

Again we meant no disrespect in asking about your biz and very sorry if you took it that way..

Actually Sprout, i do have to interject here. Due to our weather conditions and our frequency of wholesaler visits (we are lucky that we have wholesalers within a couple of miles), a lot of Uk florists do not NEED a cooler to ensure a professional outfit. So, in this instance i am not sure that this was a very nice thing to say. Sorry but that's how i feel. :)

I am also not sure that a person's designs should be discussed so openly, we all know how upsetting it can be if someone out and out says they dont like what you do. I have been on the receiving end of this on here and it does not read very nice... just saying.

Listen, I'm the one who recommended flower chat - queennbm and I follow each other on Twitter and she called my shop yesterday out of the blue with a problem that I was sure she'd be able to find the answer to on Flower Chat. Silly me for suggesting help here. I didn't pre-screen her, I just know she shares lots of good info via Twitter.

If Flower Chat wants to weed out illegal home based businesses, then it needs to do a better job with the member application questions at the outset. The questions posed are very short and clear and lend themselves to similar responses, which obviously are not sufficient for everyone.

If you want to know if someone's business is located in a home with the proper zoning variances and permits, then you need to ask that. Same thing for business licenses and paying of sales tax. I know a lot of professional bakers, photographers, accountants, lawyers, who work out of their homes legally and I don't think it should be assumed that if a florist does the same, that they are automatically operating in the underground economy.

If having a cooler is required, you need to say so (and say goodbye to most UK shops).

If you need a degree or formal training, you should say so, and say sayonara to those who learned at the feet of their parents.

If membership is based on artistic talent, well, I'm thinking that would eliminate a lot of members.

If membership is based on quality of workmanship, then I want to vote out all the florists who are too lazy to change the water in their glass vase arrangements - I'm embarrassed to be associated with them.

And if there's some deadline you need all your questions answered by, then I think you need to spell that out as well before you jump all over someone for not hanging out here 24/7.

Have all the rules you want, but be clear and up front with them right from the get go.

Thanks for your red dots in advance.

I am not really sure here and maybe it is because I have been a member so long, but the first 7 posts were non-confrontational, even mine was polite and I was just asking a few questions...V and some others were venting on their frustration for how the vetting system works not about the applicant or how fast they answered, but how fast she got registered...I think that sometimes we forget that not everyone says something but just votes, some knew of this person before they got here and got votes I am assuming because of this, which is fine...

I am fine with this person being voted in, I still did want to know more about the questions I answered and don't think I was rude in any way...I think that Tracy's comment may have been the first one that may have been taken a bit off, anf maybe not understanding the community frustration on the vetting process could be taken personally....

I don't know I don't have the answers...I just think that maybe people should be told that the community will ask questions, sometimes I do sometimes I don't, it depends on what kind of info I am given and what I see on the website....I think that you got a whole bunch of compliments in the first few posts and that the way these questions were answered says a whole lot, we shall see...I do hope you stay and prove that the people who vouched for you because of your sweet tweeting were right and you are a nice professional florist, it would be nice to have another one around...

Not that is not it, it was just a question to get to know if you do belong here, sorry you took offense to it...Part of the weeding out of people is the asking of question when answered very short...We have had people here that opened up a flower biz with an airconditioner in a room and asking questions like I bought these roses yesterday and today they are all dead what do I do....we don't have time for teaching the masses from ground zero to run their shops against us...we also do not want people here that are running biz out of their homes and not paying the proper taxes, because it gives them an unfair advantage over any florist paying these fees, it makes them able to undercut us and win the jobs that we spend many hours trying to get....

Answering these questions with an attitude will not win friends and makes you look less than professional and will not be tolerated...but you are already a memebr and a few here have vouched for you so I do hope that this can be turned around, but that will be up to you and your further remarks and how they are taken by the community....

Again we meant no disrespect in asking about your biz and very sorry if you took it that way..
Things sounded very disrespectful to me. If everyone had the impatient questions so that they could make sure that I wasn't scamming the government, well ok. I came on here quietly and felt like I was assaulted by people I've never met and don't know me. Attitude? Yes. Sorry.

Reactions: 2 people
Things sounded very disrespectful to me. If everyone had the impatient questions so that they could make sure that I wasn't scamming the government, well ok. I came on here quietly and felt like I was assaulted by people I've never met and don't know me. Attitude? Yes. Sorry.

WOW!!! OK, so sorry I want to know who I am sharing my info with better..again I am sorry you felt assaulted, I don't see it...I see some people welcoming you into a community, asking questions about the type of biz you have and trying to get to know you....but I am now all set...I hope you learn lots here albeit I think that all of this is less than a professional manner to respond....

I think people should be given a chance to breathe and check this place out a little bit before asking all the questions.

If I was grilled like that right out of the gate, I would never come back here! It's a big turn off! JMO

Welcome Queenb! (Another Philly Girl!!!)

Whoa... everyone take a deep breath here! This all got way out of control, and I hope it can be brought back into perspective.

Queennbm - the issue here isn't with you! Unfortunately, you got caught in the middle of a "family discussion." The questions asked of you were the same ones asked of any member that applies, especially those that don't have a store front. BTW, I'm in that group, and I was also scrutinized fairly heavily. I survived.

Unfortunately this applicant didn't check back to answer the questions right away, but was voted in anyway. The irritation here is not with Queennbm, but with the process. The frustration is that she was voted in so quickly without the questions being answered.

Please, let's give her a break. I think here defensiveness is completely understandable. She got drug into a family spat, and for some reason became the bad guy. Can we please address the membership issue in a new thread and welcome her properly to the forum?

Simmer down people!

Queen, you don't leave! I like your spunk, I like your style, and I think you have the makings of a great designer!

You don't know me, but I've said time and again, that there are lots of home based florists that design like rock stars just as much as there are B&M shops that design like 3 year olds.

But I do believe that home based business should be just as legit as B&M. There's a lot that aren't. I'm glad to know you're one of the good guys!

I promise you will benefit from all the knowledge you will find here.

I so do wish you would have told us that "Sprout" recommended you. She is well liked and respected here at FC.

I do hope you stick around.

Sounds like you know a lot about social network marketing, and I personally hope to learn a lot about that from you.
If you ever have any design questions, you can count on me!

why oh why does this happen again and again... we loss some great Home base business just because of things like this. Some make it in some don't and lately there have been some really good ones that don't, Back in the day when I was first on here many of you and some still do HATED me becasue of the way I run my business. I stood strong held my ground and took a bunch of crap..
most of you have come a LONG way in your thinking about us "basement Betty's". the way I see it here the past few weeks the threads are getting shorter and few and far between.. I think we have gotten some people Teed off at us. Like I have said before Last I knew this was free America and the last I knew we ALL had a right to make a living...you know as well as I do if a few of the BB get on here they never last long. Only the true pro and designer make theses boards what they are.. IMO

Wow, if I had had that kind of inquisition upon membership...I'd be gone!!! Good Luck & hang in here. There is alot of great information. Just read and only respond when you feel comfortable. Don't allow anyone to hit your hot-button and let them get you involved in their pi$$ing contest.

Status
Not open for further replies.