Status
Not open for further replies.

queennbm

Oct 22, 2009
Philadelphia
State / Prov
Pa
www.royaldesignflowers.com
I've been a floral designer full time for 1 year.
I was referred by a fellow florist from Twitter.
I hope to learn more about the day to day business of being a floral designer.
I work from home currently, but hope business builds up enough to get a studio.

Reactions: 3 people
Hello, welcome, I just have a few questions about you...

How did you come into the floral business and do you have any formal training either through a school or mentoring through a florist?

You mention that you are working from your home, right now, do you have a business license and is your home zoned for business or are you running it hoping fly under the radar of the appropriate athorities?

Do you pay propr business taxes like a regular business would?

Thanks for answering....

Hi and thanks for answering some of the questions on the intro page.

Where did you get your floral training?

V

Hello, once again the applicant has NOT answered pertinent questions and has been voted as a member.
This is a residential "event" florist with questionable mechanics - plain and simple............. who has not answered whether business taxes are paid, are in a commercially zoned area and adheres to business laws.
?????????????

Sigh....

V

It is too bad that some over zealous people approve applicants before questions that some members ask have been answered.

Now with that said, I took at look at her work.
For only doing this for ONE year, I say the girl has potential. She needs polishing, but she definitely has an eye.
I've seen designers who've been designing for 40 years and their stuff don't look as good as hers.
I applaud her willingness to learn and grow.

It is too bad that some over zealous people approve applicants before questions that some members ask have been answered.

Now with that said, I took at look at her work.
For only doing this for ONE year, I say the girl has potential. She needs polishing, but she definitely has an eye.
I've seen designers who've been designing for 40 years and their stuff don't look as good as hers.
I applaud her willingness to learn and grow.
Yep, seems to happen a lot too. Saying welcome in the first post... but who am I to judge? I'll wait on the rest to answer or ask...

I just always appreciate when the applicant answers the questions asked, even just as a courtesy.

V

V - You and I are on the same page with there. With this being a 'PROFESSIONAL' forum, made up of individuals, entities, businesses involved in the RETAIL/WHOLESALE FLORAL INDUSTRY, I take the membership process seriously.

Perhaps the introduction questions need to be more comprehensive in their scope.

The questions are fine. People just don't expand and often they don't answer our queries. That's my frustration.

V

Listen, I'm the one who recommended flower chat - queennbm and I follow each other on Twitter and she called my shop yesterday out of the blue with a problem that I was sure she'd be able to find the answer to on Flower Chat. Silly me for suggesting help here. I didn't pre-screen her, I just know she shares lots of good info via Twitter.

If Flower Chat wants to weed out illegal home based businesses, then it needs to do a better job with the member application questions at the outset. The questions posed are very short and clear and lend themselves to similar responses, which obviously are not sufficient for everyone.

If you want to know if someone's business is located in a home with the proper zoning variances and permits, then you need to ask that. Same thing for business licenses and paying of sales tax. I know a lot of professional bakers, photographers, accountants, lawyers, who work out of their homes legally and I don't think it should be assumed that if a florist does the same, that they are automatically operating in the underground economy.

If having a cooler is required, you need to say so (and say goodbye to most UK shops).

If you need a degree or formal training, you should say so, and say sayonara to those who learned at the feet of their parents.

If membership is based on artistic talent, well, I'm thinking that would eliminate a lot of members.

If membership is based on quality of workmanship, then I want to vote out all the florists who are too lazy to change the water in their glass vase arrangements - I'm embarrassed to be associated with them.

And if there's some deadline you need all your questions answered by, then I think you need to spell that out as well before you jump all over someone for not hanging out here 24/7.

Have all the rules you want, but be clear and up front with them right from the get go.

Thanks for your red dots in advance.

Hello, welcome, I just have a few questions about you...

How did you come into the floral business and do you have any formal training either through a school or mentoring through a florist?

You mention that you are working from your home, right now, do you have a business license and is your home zoned for business or are you running it hoping fly under the radar of the appropriate athorities?

Do you pay propr business taxes like a regular business would?

Thanks for answering....
Wow. Hello. Yes I am licensed, legal and pay taxes. I don't have a shop because I don't do day to day arrangements, I only provide flowers and decor for events. Should I not be on this site?

Status
Not open for further replies.