Rainbow roses

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think these came around less than a year ago or so - still very new. There is more info about them HERE. I've seen them at design shows, but haven't tried them in our shop yet.

tracy

I've had them several times.. get them from Holland...yes they are expensive but the kids love them.. they sell by the ones & twos.. not by the dozens.. we charge $12.95 us..each.. sets us apart from others..
and they last longer than a normal rose..due to the dye I guess

If you would like to attempt these yourself. Get 80cm white roses, have 4 different colors of stem dye ready in votive short vases. You have to slit the stem in 1/4ers, up far enough to bend into the vases plus enough for a fresh cut on the stem before you put into dye. Each of the 1/4ers will suck up the dye to the correlating flower petals. Wala multi-color roses.

If you would like to attempt these yourself. Get 80cm white roses, have 4 different colors of stem dye ready in votive short vases. You have to slit the stem in 1/4ers, up far enough to bend into the vases plus enough for a fresh cut on the stem before you put into dye. Each of the 1/4ers will suck up the dye to the correlating flower petals. Wala multi-color roses.

Have you tried this?? I was told it was done another way.. Ithink they inject it..judging from the looks of the stems

Sounds like alot of work. Now we know why they are 2.50 a stem cost.....

Quite possible Carol, yes I have done some, they turned out pretty good. You are right the stems show some color. But alot cheaper than buying.

It's not a big thing here, but in a higher Mexican population area I've heard it is a huge hit.

That injection way is very intriging. Thanks.

Jerry's Idea

Perfect idea, Jerry. Sounds a little timely, but I'm still going to try it. I saw the show on JTV and have thought of how fun it would be for a unique option for kids on our website!

Fascinating!

What kind of stem dye are you using for this? This is intriguing.

I was asking my wholesaler about dying roses since we needed the purple ones, they also said that the flowers need to be left dry in the cooler for a time so that they are thirsty when put in dye, they will have a more vibrant color. We never did do it, chickened out, we just ordered them instead. We were surprised at how long they lasted, looked a bit burnt at first, but looked gorgeous a week later.

I think we need to think about the Rainbow roses for Homecoming this year.

This is a really cool idea.. I'm interested in trying to make them myself. Does anyone have any ideas about how to inject them? I mean.. 1 injection of each color in a ring around the stem? Or up higher? Multiple injections?

I think I'm gonna have to buy some dyes and syringes tomorrow!

Does anyone have a supplier I could contact? I am in central California.
Thanks,
Sharon

We got ours from june.com. They overnight direct from Holland (we are in Central ORegon). They have the dyed blue Vendelas, dyed green and they call these "rainbow dyed". They also have red white & blue, pastel easter mix, cool mix, warm mix and the list goes on....

The kids loved the tie-dyed roses (as they called them) at prom. We found that they did not last as well for us as the blue dyed, but that might have been just the one batch.

Give 'em a try, at least once!

Reactions: 1 person
Okay, so I caved and bought some - mostly to see them, to send a few out to some very special customers who would love to see them, and would probably spend the $$.

They're so cool! I feel like a big flower dork, but I really like the silly whimsical look of them, all cut and pretty in our cooler. Just sold six to one customer, which I didn't expect to do. So they're half paid for already. Cool.

tracy

Status
Not open for further replies.