Rainbow roses

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a really cool idea.. I'm interested in trying to make them myself. Does anyone have any ideas about how to inject them? I mean.. 1 injection of each color in a ring around the stem? Or up higher? Multiple injections?

I think I'm gonna have to buy some dyes and syringes tomorrow!

I would maybe try the inkjet ink refillers. I think the needles on them would be stronger than syringes and you need a script for syringes.

Ok, so I've been experimenting today.. will get crazier with it after hubby brings me some syringes!

So far, I've sliced up 2 glad stems, a spider mum, and a rose. The stem slices are about 6".. Just long enough to fit in all of the test tubes I'm using. Hrm. Is it weird that I have tons of test tubes, and no syringes? LOL. I don't have actual flower dye, just food coloring. Once I get a good idea of the uptake and everything, I'll invest in better dyes. Right now, I'm testing them out with about 8 drops / 10mm water.

The first Glad is sliced in half, one half in Neon Pink water, the other half in blue. It REALLY seems to like the blue, not so much with the pink. The blue is coming through really nicely, the pink looks a little more vein-y.. and it's not really obvious what color it's supposed to be. Almost looks like a rusty red?

The Spider mum has NO color coming through AT ALL. It's been in about an hour, same as most of the rest of these. The stem is split in 4 - Neon purple, neon pink, neon yellowy green, and neon blue.

The rose *just* went in, no results yet.

The second glad is looking REALLY cool! I split that one in 4, colors the same as the spidermum. WELL. Every second flower is bicolored blue/yellowy green.. fairly uniformly, too. The top part of each bloom is blue, the bottome yellowy. The alternating blooms are just veiny rusty-red like the first glad. Really cool how it divided it into alternating blooms like that - I just randomly slit the stems. Maybe I got lucky!

I'll wait a few hours and then take some pics. They're really pastel right now, though the blue is gorgeous.. hopefully it'll brighten up later.

When I get the syringes, I'll experiment around with how much dye/water, where I stick it, etc. I'm gonna try to get each bloom on a single glad stem a different color.

Ok, so I've been experimenting today.. will get crazier with it after hubby brings me some syringes!

So far, I've sliced up 2 glad stems, a spider mum, and a rose. The stem slices are about 6".. Just long enough to fit in all of the test tubes I'm using. Hrm. Is it weird that I have tons of test tubes, and no syringes? LOL. I don't have actual flower dye, just food coloring. Once I get a good idea of the uptake and everything, I'll invest in better dyes. Right now, I'm testing them out with about 8 drops / 10mm water.

The first Glad is sliced in half, one half in Neon Pink water, the other half in blue. It REALLY seems to like the blue, not so much with the pink. The blue is coming through really nicely, the pink looks a little more vein-y.. and it's not really obvious what color it's supposed to be. Almost looks like a rusty red?

The Spider mum has NO color coming through AT ALL. It's been in about an hour, same as most of the rest of these. The stem is split in 4 - Neon purple, neon pink, neon yellowy green, and neon blue.

The rose *just* went in, no results yet.

The second glad is looking REALLY cool! I split that one in 4, colors the same as the spidermum. WELL. Every second flower is bicolored blue/yellowy green.. fairly uniformly, too. The top part of each bloom is blue, the bottome yellowy. The alternating blooms are just veiny rusty-red like the first glad. Really cool how it divided it into alternating blooms like that - I just randomly slit the stems. Maybe I got lucky!

I'll wait a few hours and then take some pics. They're really pastel right now, though the blue is gorgeous.. hopefully it'll brighten up later.

When I get the syringes, I'll experiment around with how much dye/water, where I stick it, etc. I'm gonna try to get each bloom on a single glad stem a different color.

This will get better with better flower specific dyes....

Mums and Carns usually have to be dry when you start to dye. They are not as thirsty as some flowers, so once hydrated they slow the water uptake. Try it with a spider mum that is straight out of a dry box. They drink like crazy after being shipped.

I would be interseted to see pictures and how the syringes work out. The whole one flower at a time seems like a whole lot of labor. If they really take off, you wouldn't want to be taking your whole day to prepare a dozen roses for one order....

I would be interseted to see pictures and how the syringes work out. The whole one flower at a time seems like a whole lot of labor. If they really take off, you wouldn't want to be taking your whole day to prepare a dozen roses for one order....

I dunno.. if it ends up being just one jab per bud, it shouldn't take all that long. For the roses, I'm thinking 4 jabs per.. in theory. If I have 4 syringes each loaded with the colors, it shouldn't take all that long.

These mums were already hydrated, so I'll keep your idea on that in mind for next time.

My FAVORITE BRIDE OF ALL TIME (so much so that she deserves caps on that title!) is getting married next weekend, I was telling her about the rainbow roses last night. If I can manage to get 3 distinct colors into a rose, her toss bouquet will be Magenta/Orange/Turquoise tie-dyed roses. It'll be cool!

My FAVORITE BRIDE OF ALL TIME (so much so that she deserves caps on that title!) is getting married next weekend, I was telling her about the rainbow roses last night. If I can manage to get 3 distinct colors into a rose, her toss bouquet will be Magenta/Orange/Turquoise tie-dyed roses. It'll be cool!

Wink....NOOOOOOOO ;) Pretty, diamond white dress, orange, magenta and turquoise dripping dye....I'd think twice unless her bouquet is created in a holder. We all know how bad those dyed stems drip!!

Otherwise that would be soooo cool! Just something to think about :)

Just talked with my fresh salesman...he can get the roses...20 in a bunch, 80cm, $4.50 each. Comes in ocean, tropical, rainbow or pastel.
I think we'll try them at Sweetest Day.

Ok, here are the first set of pics.

The first photo was taken at 1 hour, the other two were taken at hour 3.

Attachments

• multiglad1.jpg
    multiglad1.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 31
  • multiglad2.jpg
    multiglad2.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 19
  • multiglad3.jpg
    multiglad3.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 40
This thread is toooooo much. Love the glads (kinda reminds me of 60's rainbow ribbon) and love the banter.

I'm not wild about colored flowers but this post makes me wonder about several possibilities. How would green or yellow-green look on white flowers? Could darker dyes make the a natural color more saturated?

Can't wait the see the effect of the syringe-injected colors. :)

Michelle,
Thanks for the info. I signed up for June.com. I thought of doing an ad for them, since I'm in Santa Cruz. ; )

Okay, now I sold a DOZEN to one of our top spenders. Tomorrow is his baby girl's birthday (she's 26), and $$ is no object. Lucky for me, I get to hopefully wow some customers, on someone else's dime. Cool.

Sold one more to a regular customer, who routinely places a single rose on her deceased life partner's grave. I had thought of these in terms of the "rainbow flag" idea, but didn't think it would amount to anything ....... she was really excited about it. Hmmm, more to ponder for these silly flowers.

Cathy - I'm not a fan of dyed stuff usually, but they were an impulse buy for me. Maybe I need to get over it, since they're selling! Maybe the next time someone wants blue tipped carnations, I won't try to talk them out of it ......
I can smell the designmaster already! :hammer:

tracy

CHR,
Where do you get your rainbow roses? My local supplier doesn't have them.
Thanks,
Sharon

Rainbow flag idea

We recently had the big gay pride march here and after reading this thread I wished that I had these roses! I sold tons of rainbow balloons, cards, teddy bears etc the roses would have been perfect.

I am already signed up with june but never ordered, I guess this thread will prompt me to order now!

Thanks everyone, I really enjoyed reading this thread.

Dianne, not much cheaper from June - they range from $2.94 - $3.66. They offer several colors in this week's list - rainbow, pastel (like that oldy ribbon Cathy mentioned), ocean (all purple, blue, green petals). The rainbow was the cheapest. Then shipping, etc etc.

DV says they'll probably have them regularly, and for special order - you have to buy 2 bunch minimum. Hopefully that will change after they've been around a while.

tracy

For West Coasters in particular (due to freight) - Mellano on the LA Market carries them and ships them, too. (Mellano is a CA grower as well as wholesaler and has great local flowers & greens - esp. their seeded euc and ramnus.)

The rainbow roses were $2.50 last week but as listed at $3 each (bunches of 20) this week. If interested, call Anna at the LA Market - 1-888-MELLANO (635-5266). Note: If you mis-dial and use 1-800, you get their farm.

We brought them in for prom both in primary and pastel colors. The are called "HAPPY" roses from Holland. Then are injected with the color and they are pricey! But believe it or not our kids were willing to pay the extra $20 a corsage to get those silly things. We only brought in a few for the biggest of our 4 proms and sold 75% of them with only owrd of mouth advertising. We have had 2-3 requests since then for them. We probably will only carry them at prom/homecoming.

Status
Not open for further replies.