Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigted

Feb 4, 2006
Anaheim
www.vissersflowers.com
State / Prov
CA
During the recent debate over B&M vs home based, I learned about this red dot thing, where if you don't like what somebody says you give them a red dot? I have to tell you, this kind of juvenile stuff trivializes what we are trying to do here. Some of you have taken a very serious debate and turned into a third grade popularity contest.

For goodness sake people--this industry is facing some very serious issues. Enough already.

btw, I expect a red dot for this. Does something tell me when I get one?

Reactions: 2 people
Bigted,

If you click on userCP in the green navigation bar you will see a box that lists all of your "reputation points". Red is negative, green is positive. I do believe it shows the last five and the givers comments.

What the hell? I have a few green.. and a brand spankin' new GREY one??

Gray is neutral...it doesn't add or take away but, I've never seen a place where you could choose neutral. I had one once...still really don't know where they come from :)

Gray is neutral...it doesn't add or take away but, I've never seen a place where you could choose neutral. I had one once...still really don't know where they come from :)

Maybe the moderators do it to neutralize asinine reasoned red dots...

This is the craziest thing I have ever encountered...it's like are you smarter than a third grader...

During the recent debate over B&M vs home based, I learned about this red dot thing, where if you don't like what somebody says you give them a red dot? I have to tell you, this kind of juvenile stuff trivializes what we are trying to do here. Some of you have taken a very serious debate and turned into a third grade popularity contest.

For goodness sake people--this industry is facing some very serious issues. Enough already.

Why in the heck did you get a red dot??? Did you even post in on the fiasco?? I am feeling left out that I did not get one.......I had some pretty strong opinions on that stuff...

This is the craziest thing I have ever encountered...it's like are you smarter than a third grader...

Yes, and no. For all ADULT and MATURE purposes it's a way of saying "attaboy" without having to post a thread or send a PM. If I really like something that someone says I just click on the reputation scales and send over a little "love your post" note.

Seriously, how many of us have EVER used the negative rep? I know I have ONCE and it's been in the last week. Here lately (and I mean the last few days) it seems that a lot of the working and useful functions here on FC are being disrespected and used for the wrong reasons.

Yes, and no. For all ADULT and MATURE purposes it's a way of saying "attaboy" without having to post a thread or send a PM. If I really like something that someone says I just click on the reputation scales and send over a little "love your post" note.

Seriously, how many of us have EVER used the negative rep? I know I have ONCE and it's been in the last week. Here lately (and I mean the last few days) it seems that a lot of the working and useful functions here on FC are being disrespected and used for the wrong reasons.

Ditto here, I have sent one negative and many positive although not enough....

Ted below is your commentary on the Home Based Marketing thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinkDesign
Another point I'd like to make:

Most wedding shows I've been at, there have been a handful of florists.. maybe more - but nowhere near the number of florists in any given area. Do you really think EVERY B&M florist out there spends a ton of $$$ in the wedding industry? I can crack open any local wedding mag, and compare the list of florists there to the phonebook.. pretty big difference there!

Many, MANY florists don't have the same overhead *I* do when it comes to weddings. Do every one of you B&M florists advertise in wedding magazines? Every one of you participate in multiple large wedding shows? I did one last January that cost me almost $3000, all told. Many come in at the $700-2000 range. I do them because it's just a cost of doing business my industry - the wedding industry. Should I be pissing and moaning because of all the money I invest, when B&M florists have walk in business, and probably get some "by default" weddings, without investing as much in the wedding industry as I do?

Additionally, how many of you have gone from just flowers, to offering gift items.. and hey, recently, FUDGE? Do you think maybe you're being just slightly hypocritical? I mean, I'm sure there are candy shops and other gifty stores that are being hurt by your decision to hone in on THEIR area, right?

But you do it, because you have to evolve your business. You see what is needed in YOUR area, in YOUR shop, for YOU to make it. It's survival. You wouldn't give your stuff away, and there's no way in hell you'd say "Well.. I COULD offer gift items / fudge/etc.. but I shouldn't, because there's a shop across town that specializes in candy....

Good post wink! The whole argument is silly.

Which is more silly? The debate or the red dots?

and is Home based businesses and unqualified floral people a serious issue or not?

I suppose you are directing these comments at me Ted.

First the issue of unqualified floral designers damaging certain floral businesses is a important issue and that is why I went after it.

At the time you said it was silly and I repsonded back that maybe for a large flower shop in a large metropolitan area it might be silly, but not for small town florists.

Secondly, the post that earned me a Red Dot had nothing to do with the reason given for that Red Dot. I wanted to show everyone that some of these posters were pretty irrational.

Now, i have to get back to work and finish some Cemetary silks, checking on some poinsettias, ordering flowers for a couple funerals in my small town brick and mortar flower shops and greenhouses.

If it is such a bother, turn the @@@@ green dots off completely and lets do away the GD reputation points and the other statistics up top on the home page.

Gee Ted - you've been here a while, and must have posted some good stuff to get some atta boys, and never knew why!

I think the rep thing is beneficial, unless of course there's rep stuffing going on. It lets people know who might be more knowledgeable, of those who choose to post. This is not to say that someone with no rep is stupid - they might only choose to read.

Red rep, well I haven't given any, though I've been tempted lately. I explained to my husband that a red dot is the equivlaent of a teacher or parent or friend smacking you in the back of the head for a stupid mean thoughtless comment you make. *SMACK* To me it has the same effect. I think some kind of consequence is necessary for such comments ..... just a shame that they can get handed out incognito.

tracy

Ted below is your commentary on the Home Based Marketing thread.

Good post wink! The whole argument is silly.

Which is more silly? The debate or the red dots?

and is Home based businesses and unqualified floral people a serious issue or not?

I suppose you are directing these comments at me Ted.

First the issue of unqualified floral designers damaging certain floral businesses is a important issue and that is why I went after it.

I have done a flip flop on the silly thing. What I meant was that home based people are a part of our industry and we have to run our business according to the reality of the world, not like we would like it to be. B&M florists cannot segregate themselves from the changes going on--the competivie threats coming in from several directions. That's not the path to success. However, I have since changed my mind and now believe that we are two separate groups and trying to co-exist will tend to limit the free and open communication. AND, I still think the red dot thing is silly.

You can only give rep if your own rep is above a certain level. Grey indicates someone with a low or negative rep tried to give you rep but was disqualified.

Ryan

You can only give rep if your own rep is above a certain level. Grey indicates someone with a low or negative rep tried to give you rep but was disqualified.

Ryan

Hmm, well now isn't that interesting? It actually surprises me that someone who has been on this board for awhile would hand out negative rep to some of our most contributing posters...I guess you learn a little more about people everyday.

Status
Not open for further replies.