Rose Designs: Surprise Them With Your Style

Joe Guggia AIFD

Sep 6, 2010
Santa Maria, California
www.joeguggia.com
State / Prov
California
I have a love/hate relationship with roses. The horticulturist in me embraces their beauty and wonderful aroma, while the floral designer in me fights with the fact that so many clients expect them designed in a vase, convinced this is the only way roses should be arranged. I DON”T WANT TO DESIGN THEM TRADITIONALLY, no matter what they expect. It goes against my passion for design and the ability I treasure to create in a way that is unexpected. In my floral world that is what gives the rose more value.

I can hear you all saying that “behind the scenes” florist comment: “But they want those roses arranged in a vase with those long stems; we CAN’T change their minds!”. as if change is something we florists are forbidden to engage in. I feel your pain…..I know clients fight that change. But as floral artists it is our right, no, our duty, to implement different designs to capture interest and increase awareness of our value in the retail world.

95% of the time I design roses in floral foam. Yep, you heard me right, virtually all my rose designs are created in floral foam. I started that years ago when certain customers wanted something different, a rose arrangement with unique styling that said “you’re the most awesome person I know!”. With the floral foam I can make a visual design statement with possibly a garden styled creation, or a contemporary/Asian design that has wonderful architectural lines, inviting the use of unusual foliage such as equicetum (horsetail), foxtail fern, stacked galax leaves, and such. Never have I had a complaint or problem with the stems not absorbing water. The key is to cut the stems at a larger slant to take up as much water as possible, while making sure they are placed well into the foam. Using a good chunk of foam is important as well. Of course, continued foam saturation is the key, as well as extremely fresh roses. This also eliminates the cloudy water that ends up in the vase. How many clients pour out the cloudy water and refill with fresh? Very few (if any) are going to go to that trouble.

How cool would it be to design a rose creation for a guy that is totally not frilly but encased with architectural willow, different stem heights that say “your my stud”, clustered lotus pods, without the guy feeling embarrassed? You’d make a great statement at the business location, while keeping the profit margin you deserve. The same for a lady, a rose arrangement that has creative styling with feminine touches of wax flower nestled here and there around the flowers rather than all filled with babies breath. Think what you might be able to charge for something more creative by selling yourself and making a visual “splash” at the same time with these roses.

tNNFgqi5HBqlLsDmXI3ItYxl5rY5IieP9DZ7al4RtzpilWCHghAAkSG2Wbf4hFio_CJqqHc5t3e--xUhmr6sBmtug_d-JDuK1ILTFLhL7nK-yZliIFLea25C5Q

It’s time roses got back on track to becoming the valued romantic flower for current and upcoming generations. We can have their floral future secured by giving our public a unique design spin on these special flowers, a spin that excites the designer in us while gaining a larger client base who sees the artful designs we can create with their roses. I’m all for a win/win and I know you are too. With Valentine’s Day in our near future, let’s give them something creative and unusual to say “I love you” in a way that’s never been said before. Just see how those 20 to 40 year old professionals appreciate your willingness to go the extra mile to create their rose arrangements into something unique that will last in their memory for many years. And that, my friends, will bring them back for more!

About the author
In a floral world that can sometimes be scary and tiresome, Joe Guggia, AIFD, works to reinvent himself and keep his floral passion alive. With beginnings as a delivery boy at Sandyland Nursery (Carpinteria, Calif.), he progressed to assistant grower and helped launch the first nursery contract with a supermarket chain. Later, Joe moved on to take ownership of Camfeldt’s Flowers and Gifts (Santa Maria, Calif.).

Today, Joe continues to gather knowledge in all phases of the floral industry with his business, JP Designs. He admits that putting himself “out there” to keep the dollars flowing has been a challenge and isn’t always easy. But sticking to it and realizing that “We’re only as good as our last design” has brought him to a place of industry sharing, both of his experiences and those of others.

Joe’s expertise includes staging, indoor/outdoor decor consulting, custom permanent designs, plant installations, landscaping, custom sympathy and everyday shop designs. He is a mentor to the student chapter of AIFD Cal Poly and promotes the motto of “Educate, motivate and create.”

Thank you. This is awesome. I noticed every time we have a different rosé design in the cooler 20-35 year olds grab it. Dozen in a vase is safe convenient choice for people - but if you show them something different quite a few people will go for it.

I am surprised by your 95% figure Joe. We are probably closer to 50/50. Truly fresh roses at valentines day is pretty much out of our control....unfortunately. I was wondering if you think "long stems" is important to the consumer anymore? While we usually carry 60cm, I can't remember the last time a comment was made about length.

I have to admit, i never tire of roses..........but when i do-i drink dos xx, just kidding; actually a couple of weeks before valentine's day a young lady came in and wanted something darker for boyfriend, she is what the teenagers call Emo, as was her boyfriend. For those who gew up in the 80's with the Goth culture this is an off shoot 0f that. So i suggested a more masculine influenced arrangement utilizing dark red ( not dyed ) dark red Baccara roses as they can mean mystery,hope and passion,and curly willow as well as weeping pussy willow for a waterfall effect. She loved it! and surprisingly so did her boyfriend.( Yes i was a little nervous! ) He had never gotten a flower arrangement, but because it was so unique he treasured that she would think enough of him to express herself in such a way. It was a great opportunity for me to research the current youth cultural trends and use a rose that is rarely requested to bring her vision to fruition with a uniquely masculine take on her aesthetic.

@Hailey do you have any pictures for us? That sounds great! (From a guy who once had more than a passing experience with black nail polish)

Reactions: Toddxxx and concord
@Hailey do you have any pictures for us? That sounds great! (From a guy who once had more than a passing experience with black nail polish)

Sadly no, but thank you for requesting them, i really should have started a new portfolio but the request caught me so off guard and i was so excited to do something so different, (as i had grown up with the goth culture back in high school) that i completely forgot to take photos. Having been nervous about my first full blown valentine's with my own shop i imagine the nervous tension made me lose sight of the innate marketing opportunity of taking/posting photos of recent work!

Reactions: theRKF
I Love this look and think it would really be a game changer from the Norm.

SO Question:
How do you think roses hold up in foam? I've always been nervous because foam means you can't see the water level and most people don't add water no matter how many tags you use.

I Love this look and think it would really be a game changer from the Norm.

SO Question:
How do you think roses hold up in foam? I've always been nervous because foam means you can't see the water level and most people don't add water no matter how many tags you use.

I took home two foam arrangements after local presentation: One had carnations and another had roses, and the one with roses outlasted carnations. But presenter was really insistent on MaxLife. She claimed to have tested different foams and that MaxLife is worth those few extra pennies. The roses were cut just normally - no deeper angle or such.
I keep planning to do similar test on foams, but have never really got to it :(