same old same old websites...

Status
Not open for further replies.
(Point of clarification: They use WS products - affiliate images. If they use a WS template, most are highly customized and SEO'd far better than the off-the-shelf versions.)

Actually that is what I intended to say. I mispoke when saying template rather than product. I was thinking what Bloomzie would say and I got confused.

joe

I would love to see someone do a (fair) comparison test on how a unique design would outsell a (good) wire service best seller. Something like 800flowers Fields of Europe say. Can anyone create something that would outsell that?
Fields of Europe - $39.95 including local delivery

17565sz.jpg

I don't have the official recipe, but from here it looks like 3 st asiatic lilies, 3 Cherry Brandy roses, 1/2 bu wax flower, 1/5 bu lemon, 3 st lav daisy poms, 3 st green button poms, vase, river rocks, raffia.

IMO that's a high COGs for what's essentially supposed to be a $32.99 arrangement.

So the first step in developing a killer cookie cutter is to overstuff it and hope filling shops 1) make it just like the picture and 2) can't do math or can buy flowers for the same prices or less than wholesalers.

Make a very full picture, crop it close to look large and offer it at a very low price. That's what PF does, that's what the rest of national marketers do, too.

I only have one other true website competitor in my area. They're an FTD shop with a granny panties template. I get people on the phone who order from my site who said they chose me over them because they don't want 'that' look. Referring to the cookie cutter FTD look. So there is that plus that I didn't see anyone bring up.

I wonder why these corporations are so tacky? Why can't they hire some cutting edge web 2.0 graphic designers or web designers? I will say they have gotten better. But like most large corporations, they move........ so......... slow.

BUT those sites still sell flowers and that's all the corps care about. They day they stopped selling flowers is the day they would hire the best. It's my opinion that consumers don't know any better and settle with the mediocrity. This won't always be the case,mark my words. Floral Darwinism is just getting started..... in walks accountability.

I would love to see someone do a (fair) comparison test on how a unique design would outsell a (good) wire service best seller. Something like 800flowers Fields of Europe say. Can anyone create something that would outsell that?

In that image I see raffia. Come on people, this isn't the 90s.

JB, I can sell that price point (see image below - I know blurry, did it fast - $40) all day long vs the cookie cutter image from FTD, or wherever. Why? Because some people see flowers as something special, not a commodity. The people who see flowers as a commodity are not my market and you can still get rich selling them un-artful designs, but I'm just saying... :) .

12462972103091.jpg

I think my message sometimes gets lost.

My basic thought for starting the thread was NOT "our designs are better than cookie cutters" BUT RATHER "Customize your TF template site if you want to stand out"

Almost every site I went to the FIRST THING I SAW WAS the summertime splash cube arrangement.

MY point being....IF YOU HAVE A TF SITE MAKE THE PRODUCTS ON YOUR HOME PAGE DIFFERENT THAN EVERY BODY ELSES IN TOWN!!!
AND customize your "about us" message.

When a customer goes from site to site and sees the same thing each time... what's good about that?

When a bride comes into our shop we will show them all the selection guides we have, PLUS our own portfolios. Same difference.
Show your customer why they should shop with you. Give them the experience of going into your shop even if they are across the country, or the world for that matter.

here's another anology....
I'm taking a vacation this summer. Originally I wanted to rent a beach bungalow somewhere in San Diego. I searched and searched online for what I wanted and in my price range.
Couldn't find it. A lot of the beach houses that was advertised was the same condo complex. Finally I got frustrated and decided on a different agenda.
I found a groovy spot on Catalina Island. They had pics for me to check out and alls well.
My point is I kept thinking I was going to see a different place when I saw a different site, but it was just the same old thing over and over. What a drag.

Now, Mark this on the calendar because I have not gone totally wacko like Jacko with this statement.

In planning what product we put on the website to feature, we need to first of all, consider our customer base. It may be that this particular shop or that shop's customer base likes and purchases the 800TFTD "proven best sellers" - In that case, nothing wrong with featuring them if you have a selection of your own stuff on there as well.

Disclaimer: "Proven best seller" is claims made by the WS. Personally, I cannot vouch for the accuracy of their claim.

Reactions: Dazeal
Shannon, threads evolve, sorry to upset you. :( - I agree with you if it's any consolation.

Disclaimer: "Proven best seller" is claims made by the WS. Personally, I cannot vouch for the accuracy of their claim.

DING DING DING!!! Good call Ricky! - My market says this, your market says that.. who is wrong? No one.. flowers are selling.

Well, here is what i think for what its worth.

I think it depends a lot on your local competition. If you have a lot of people searching the same town and a lot of the same stuff comes up, then yeah, that is such a priority to get your own stuff. I would even go to get a professional photographer if this was the case for me. But the designs i would make would probably be similar to the relays as i let the big boys do the market research, they have more money than I. Of course it should also contain some more wacky stuff too but stuff that sells in your market.

However, in my personal case at the moment i am the only one with a decent site that features a mixture of my own gift and funeral designs and teleflora. All wedding designs in my gallery are my own.

I think a personal template is fab and in the Uk, as much as i like them there is a particular webdesigner who is offering the same template very cheap which means that there is a lot of florists with very very similar sites. I would rather pay the extra and have a bespoke one.

Shannon, threads evolve, sorry to upset you. :( - I agree with you if it's any consolation.

DING DING DING!!! Good call Ricky! - My market says this, your market says that.. who is wrong? No one.. flowers are selling.
You didn't upset me Daze, not in the least!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Again, I think what I mean gets lost...

Also-Keep cookie cutters up, by all means, just put DIFFERNT cookies on your home page than the shop down the street...

Reactions: CHR
Status
Not open for further replies.