shavonsweddingsilks Intro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Sharon
Welcome to the site. It's kind of hard getting to know everyone. I only signed up several days ago and have made a few pretty good contacts.

One word of advise: Caution. I don't think the nature of this sight is to offer advise. There seems to be a certain amount of aggression coming from florist who are threatened by out of the box people within the industry. I think that people who can relate to your type of business will find you.

This site is set up for traditional florists who want to talk about things that pertain to their type of business.

I would like to invite you as a friend. I am in the wedding business as well. I would like to know more about you as well as share some of my successful ventures.

This is a great site and if you dig around, there are lots of useful tidbits.

Good luck,
Thom
www.dragonflyevent.com

Reactions: 1 person
Hi Thom:

I'm sorry you see this site in that particular light. Most of us are more than happy to share our knowledge with anyone who asks. Perhaps, after you've been here awhile you will see that for yourself.

Sharon, ask away... those who have the answers or suggestions and choose to share most definitely will.

Again, welcome.

V

Do we not all want to improve our companies? I think just being on this site is proof enough that we are all seeking the same thing: a more profitable future.

I don't think that every florist in the state is on this forum site, I know my competition isn't. So while it is fun to read peoples threads and responses, I have already found several gems of wisdom that I can implement in my company.

We all want to share and come off sounding important and full of knowledge and experience, but that doesn't parlay into sales. What can help all of us is our combined trial and error experience in all aspects of the industry. It's a shrinking economy and unfortunately some of us who are on this forum and perhaps reading this now will not make it to the end of the year.

I don't want to be one of those people, so I sign up for these forum sights and start connecting with people who feel the same. I'm not afraid to try new things. I don't believe we as a industry can survive if we aren't willing to move in new directions. So when someone comes along and states that she does 7 or so weddings a week with the help of one assistant, don't you want to know how she does it? Are you so successful that you can shut any chance of getting to know her? And with that in mind, is that the kind of mindset you portray to your market?

Don't be fooled by new ventures that pop up from time to time. Look at their website, talk to them, research their market, and see if it something that you can implement to your own company. If you are happy with the way things are than by all means, discourage everyone.

Do we not all want to improve our companies? I think just being on this site is proof enough that we are all seeking the same thing: a more profitable future.

I don't think that every florist in the state is on this forum site, I know my competition isn't. So while it is fun to read peoples threads and responses, I have already found several gems of wisdom that I can implement in my company.

We all want to share and come off sounding important and full of knowledge and experience, but that doesn't parlay into sales. What can help all of us is our combined trial and error experience in all aspects of the industry. It's a shrinking economy and unfortunately some of us who are on this forum and perhaps reading this now will not make it to the end of the year.

I don't want to be one of those people, so I sign up for these forum sights and start connecting with people who feel the same. I'm not afraid to try new things. I don't believe we as a industry can survive if we aren't willing to move in new directions. So when someone comes along and states that she does 7 or so weddings a week with the help of one assistant, don't you want to know how she does it? Are you so successful that you can shut any chance of getting to know her? And with that in mind, is that the kind of mindset you portray to your market?

Don't be fooled by new ventures that pop up from time to time. Look at their website, talk to them, research their market, and see if it something that you can implement to your own company. If you are happy with the way things are than by all means, discourage everyone.

I absolutely want to know how successful florists are successful!
Just because one works from home, or from a studio, does not
necessarily make them less professional. And...

Just because one has a retail store front, does not necessarily make
them a professional.

I have a retail shop. I like having it! I love the people who come in
every day. I would be lonely working from home and not interacting
with people. But, not everyone is that way.
I know, working from home or a studio is harder to plan an event.
all the more reason to find out just how they do it successfully!

Reactions: 1 person
Hello Sharon
Welcome to the site. It's kind of hard getting to know everyone. I only signed up several days ago and have made a few pretty good contacts.

One word of advise: Caution. I don't think the nature of this sight is to offer advise. There seems to be a certain amount of aggression coming from florist who are threatened by out of the box people within the industry. I think that people who can relate to your type of business will find you.

This site is set up for traditional florists who want to talk about things that pertain to their type of business.

I would like to invite you as a friend. I am in the wedding business as well. I would like to know more about you as well as share some of my successful ventures.

This is a great site and if you dig around, there are lots of useful tidbits.

Good luck,
Thom
www.dragonflyevent.com

Can i ask how there would be useful tidbits if no-one offers advice?? I found your post really negative.

Thom and Dore,

Both of you are very new to this community. The reason we ask anyone who states that they work from there home is just to be sure they are a legit business. We have had, on this board, some people who "play" with flowers for fun and are hobbist. That is all good, but this is not the place for them.

We, this board, has had some real hard times with certain people who are no longer here. The reason for the whole intro thing and the fact that this board is not open to the public is, in part the problems we faced way before you came here.

I'm sorry if some of our intro questions sound harsh, but we are trying hard to keep this board filled with professionals only.

Thanks Carrieann for taking the time to explain the whys and wherefores... much appreciated.

We all reap the benefits of maintaining vigilance... we have learned that from experience.

V

Status
Not open for further replies.