Status
Not open for further replies.

kt4ye

Oct 15, 2007
Charlotte
www.flowerhut.com
State / Prov
NC
Yesterday, an older customer (my age) came in to ask about a product that she said she used to buy about 20 years ago. As she described it, the product was somewhat like a snow globe.

The bottom either screwed or snapped off. The bottom had something like a FROG on to which a florist (or consumer) could stick a rose head. The globe was filled with water (plain?), the bottom attached and the whole thing was inverted onto a table.

The result was like a snow globe with a rose in it. The Lady said that a rose inside would last for weeks if not months.

I've never seen such a thing. But I'm a newbie -- started in '88.

Is anyone familiar with this and/or knows where to buy them?

Bill

I do not know where to buy them, but I think we have one in a closet here somewhere. Your snow globe concept is correct. Kind of 70's though. I'll look for mine and maybe we can send it to you. :)

Oy - thank you - that was gonna drive me crazy! I couldn't get their site to come up, though Perry remembered the name and company info. I remember my mom having one of these on her coffee table, in the living room us kids weren't allowed into.

I still see these at Flea Markets, and Flower Shows, with the same folks who sell that colored jelly for plants/flowers.

tracy

I remember those. We sold them at the shop I worked at in the late 70's and yes the roses lasted forever, but you really had to seal them tight

I remember something like that called Bowl O'Beauty but they were sealed. Big sellers in the 70's.

A customer brought one in for us to 'fix' last year. :wide: The rose had turned black. We opened it up and the contents smelled like a combination of compost and kerosene.

She decided to just save the glass and base.

Oh, the kind of living room that has plastic on the couches and the vacuum marks in the carpet cause no one ever walks on it? LOL
No, that was my aunt's house ! With the Naugahide furniture, too! What is a Nauga anyway, and what kind of hide does it have?

We had velvet flocked wallpaper, and antique brocade fabric couches and chairs, with a giant oval marble coffee table. We used to sit at the top of the stairs, on the landing, and watch TV in the gold framed huge mirror during their grown-up parties.

Ah those were the days - children we rarely seen, and certainly not heard. :rolleyes:
Memories .....

tracy

Did your mom have some of those glass grapes that seemed to be on everyone's coffe table? Next to the naugahyde recliner, on the varigated carpet, in the room with paneling? :)

Bill, I'm sorry, I can't find mine. It's been moved around so many times, it must have went in last month's cleaning spree. A customer brought it to us after she received it as a grab bag gift. Talk about the gift that keeps on giving!

Did your mom have some of those glass grapes that seemed to be on everyone's coffe table? Next to the naugahyde recliner, on the varigated carpet, in the room with paneling? :)
No,that was my Grandma - geeze, you guys must know my whole family!
:tongue
tracy

seriously, though, that was my grandma - orange shag all the way, with wood paneling, orange naugahide recliner, till she sold in 2000. Maybe I became a florist as a rebellion to their terrible taste ...... :confused:

Bill, I bought one through Gardeners supply catalog. Go to home accents, then look up flower aquarium. Used it once, flowers turned brown and looked horrible after one day. Gave it to one of my designers and she loves it.

If I remember correctly those roses were dipped in wax - a heavy coating. Some looked kinda clumpy in spots. I hated them because the rose would detach and the customers would bring them back in to replace. Hope they don't make a comeback!

I remember those things....

All I can say is... RUN FORREST RUN.....

They were a PITA

Snow Globe

They were marketed under the name of Bowl-O-Beauty
manufactured by Lifesake. May have been a subsid.of
company that makes the Rosary for us to add roses to for funerals.The rose was dipped in wax to hold the petals to the calyx and the bubble was filled with a treated liquid not water.The company recomended customer return to manufacturer for re-furbishing or if the rose floated to the top of the buble.
We could not keep them in stock fast enough in Cherry Hill, NJ. Back When ?????

Perry

I must have brain fade. I HAD one of these, I think my Grandma gave me one to match hers! lol. (grandma was a HUGE rose grower, She didn't need a fence around her back yard, she had rose bushes. some of the canes were bigger than your wrist!

I don't remember her dipping the rose in wax, but I don't think I put roses in mine either. I remember doing lake superior agates and other various rocks.

to each their own. I wonder what happened to it?????

Some day some civilization will dig up a land fill and wonder what the heck some of that stuff is - lava lamps, mood rings, chia pets......

I have seen this item on Ebay once or twice - It was sold heavily on one of the home shopping channels a few years ago. I'll look and see what I can find.

The Bowl-O'Beauty is still manufactured by Lifesake - part of Fasterform. They are also with the Harding Container group and Diamondline.

Status
Not open for further replies.