steven Intro

Status
Not open for further replies.

steven

May 14, 2008
bristol
State / Prov
stockwood
7 weeks- How long have you been in business?

an advanced course
- Do you have any formal floral education?

google- How were you referred to FlowerChat?

insight and like minded friends- What do you hope to gain from membership?

my sense of humour and a passion for flowers- What do you feel you can contribute to the community?

a commercial building- Do you operate from a commercial building or your residence?

Reactions: 4 people
Hi Steven,
Do you have prior experience in a flower shop or is the course it?

What position do you hold at your company besides owner ie. designer, sweeper, driver, bookeeper all of the above?

Do you have a website??

hi lori, well firstly let me thank you for the message. ok so where do i start i own the shop and i am also the main designer. my partner is the delivery driver, the book keeper and he keeps me tidy lol. i did do a 1 day course in london the day after i closed my very successful hair salon. then opened the flowershop 1 week after that. i am sooo glad that i did too its fun and a lot more chilled than hairdressing.
we have now been open 7 weeks and it is getting busier each week. whats your tale???
steve

Hi Steven: You are obviously into artistry in most aspects of your life. I think you may change your tune about floral being more "chilled" than hair styling after you've dealt with your first crazy bride. ;)

Welcome to the world of flowers, but what possessed you to open a shop after a crash course in design?

Thanks for answering. :)

V

i am sooo glad that i did too its fun and a lot more chilled than hairdressing.

steve
Ha...funny, last night when I walked into the kitchen after another "fun" day, Emily (Daughter #2) was cutting Erika's (daughter #1) hair, and I commented on how much "fun" that looks like, "I bet I could do that"...!

Steven welcome to the community...not sure about the "fun" part, but it's always interesting, even after 37 years of doing the do (and I ain't talking "up do's" either ;) )

Hey Steve!!!!

Welcome -
You can and will learn a lot here....its almost unavoidable.

Keep us posted on your trials and trivails in the Flower Biz. And don't hesitate to ask for help and ideas from all the smart folks here.

All the best

Steve,

To answer your question, I have been in the biz for 26 years and own my own shop a bit over two years. I attended a two year college course for floriculture. I am always amazed by people who just leave one profession and jump right into another without ever skipping a beat. How are you finding the transition??? Are you having problems with any of the everyday ins and outs of a whole new field?

Crazy brides?? Brides get crazy??

Oh Steven, Look out buddy! Get ready 'cause she's a comin'

I can see however, how both professions could run neck and neck with the crazy factor.

anyway, So Steven, Why would you walk away from a successful salon? Why open a Flower shop? Why not a bistro, a kennel, a book store? What exactly about the flower shop business was appealing.

A word of advice, "I just thought it would always be fun to work in a flower shop" is not the best answer! :)

You have 7 WEEKS of experience in the industry? And you have owned your shop for all of the 7 weeks? WOW!!

This is a give and take kind of place, you are expected to give as much as you take.
I would like to know what you think you can contribute to our community here.

HEY... I was talking about the KENNEL thing....I love DOGS!

Used to breed Irish Setters...nothing like having 16 (yes true number) running around the house at the same time!!!!!!!

BOSS ROTFLMAO

Welcome to FC .
Looking forward to hearing a whole lot more on your progress,
real time edumacation, ( <<-- not a typo ), etc......

Welcome to FlowerChat...Seven weeks...God bless your heart...

There is so much information available here to help you in your quest. Remember the street runs both ways and we look forward to your input based on your previous business owners experience. My oldest daughter is a cosmotologist and I see many parallels between our businesses.

Best wishes!

thanks guys

right i have to let you know that i had no prior experience in floral design but i do however have a creative and artistic flair, as well as MAD MAD brides go doing the all important updo and also making tiaras i am well ready and prepared, i have my first and second weddings confirmed and deposits paid for july. i had an aunt who was a florist and when my nan passed away 10 weeks ago i decided that the time was right! all too often i had conversations with clients who would say how they wish they could try something different but due to comitments (family, motgage etc) they couldnt follow their dream. i feel fortunate enough to be able to follow my dream, i grew up in a very rough housing estate and didnt come out of the closet until i was 21, by which time i had been hairdressing for a year, flowers was just not a job for the boys!!!!! now as i have grown in confidence in myself and my abilities i say stuff you to anyone who says i cant do what i want to do, dont get me wrong i am under no illusion that it will be an easy ride, but compared to hairdressing it is definately more satisfying. i have already provided the main floral tributes for 2 funerals and recieved praise and compliments as well as more work from the families that used us. i understand that alot of people who have studied at college and gained proffesional qualifications in floral design may frown upon me and people like me, but i urge them to understand that waiting just isnt always an option? i hope to learn and share my experiences with you all, my contribution to the industry is a raw outside of the box look at floral design. it might not alwayswork but i will always learn from it!

Reactions: 2 people
Oh my dear Steven... those who frown up on you will never have the pleasure of getting to know you... decidedly their loss. Besides none of us needs that kind of person in our realm.

Good for you for following your dream or passion. May it bring many rewards and lessons and fun.

V

Status
Not open for further replies.