suggestions please,

Status
Not open for further replies.
It stands for Cascading Style Sheets Bob. Newer web design standards. Everything used to be laid out in tables and tables within tables within tables and the code tends to get "messy".

It results in much cleaner code and more applicable standards across the web to all browser types.

But not to worry - tables will be around for a long times yet - they are hardly a thing of the past. My site is a combination of both tables and an external stle sheet, which means basically for design elements such as font types background colors etc the site refers to an external .txt type file to tell it what to dispaly. CSS really separates design from content.

Again - I wouldn't worry about it for some time yet.

By the way - have I mentioned that I think Dreamweaver is unnecessarily complicated and quite hard to use and learn? (Ryan, how's the panties?)

It stands for Cascading Style Sheets Bob. Newer web design standards. Everything used to be laid out in tables and tables within tables within tables and the code tends to get "messy".

It results in much cleaner code and more applicable standards across the web to all browser types.

But not to worry - tables will be around for a long times yet - they are hardly a thing of the past. My site is a combination of both tables and an external stle sheet, which means basically for design elements such as font types background colors etc the site refers to an external .txt type file to tell it what to dispaly. CSS really separates design from content.

Again - I wouldn't worry about it for some time yet.

CSS2 Was established in 1997. Hardly new :)

It's been widely used since the early 2000's and the release of IE5 (along with other browsers of that vintage). Table-based design is certainly old-school - so it's easy to picture Bloomzie using it. After all, Dreamweaver is designed for the under-60 crowd.

Ryan

By the way - have I mentioned that I think Dreamweaver is unnecessarily complicated and quite hard to use and learn? (Ryan, how's the panties?)

Hardly new :)

It's been widely used since the early 2000's and the release of IE5 (along with other browsers of that vintage). Table-based design is certainly old-school - so it's easy to picture Bloomzie using it. After all, Dreamweaver is designed for the under-60 crowd.

Ryan

OMG:rolleyes:, LOL, you guys are so funny:rolleyes:!!! LOL, I just love our flowerchat family, this is just like siblings!!!! LOL:squish:

CSS2 Was established in 1997. Hardly new :)

Ryan

Geez - I guess I should apologize for trying to be helpful?

But then - I've been doing this a lot longer than Ryan has, :poke: so sure I learned with some older tools. My first web site was made with Microsoft Publisher in 93 (where all your content text were graphics) then Adobe Page Mill in about 94-5 - after which is when I switched to Front Page 98. Back then (93) there were about 25 flower sites on the whole web, and it was a slam dunk to have top SE listings about everywhere. AND - the top 3 things sold on the internet back around then were Travel, Computers, and Flowers. It was wide open. My first feeble attempt at ecommerce was an embarassing looking drop down choose the flowers then it got encrypted with pgp and emailed to me where if you were lucky you could figure out how to unencrypt it - a horrendous attempt.

But I digress: Some of the youngsters seem to think you have to have the flashiest tools - whether you need them and are easy to use or not. (Psst - you don't) There's a lot to be said for software usability. But you'll still find many of the older well established sites using tables, so like I said- there's no huge rush to eliminate them - they will be with us for many years to come.

Edit: Here's a suggestion for Bob - IF he is looking for an editor (possibly not since we hijacked the topic) - get demos of both and if you're used to Microsoft products like most of us are - I'd bet you'll find it way easier to use a product sort of modeled after Word for the web. If you're an Mac fan -probably DW since I do believe that's where it started, as a MAC program.

But then - I've been doing this a lot longer than Ryan has, :poke: so sure I learned with some older tools.

You wish, Grampa :)

When you were learning how to make scrolling hot pink marquees I was working for an internet provider :SUI: after school and on weekends. I remember trying to explain to customers the difference between SLIP and PPP access...

Reactions: 1 person
Ok - whatever, sonny. :spin That SLIP and PPP is some complicated stuff I know....

PS: opinions vary

PPS: How's them pantiez 'migo?

PPPS: I was really just trying to be helpful, really - dunno why it had to denigrate into a battle of the egos (is denigrate a word?)

PPPPS: I give

Thanks for all of the input everyone. It was most helpful. Ryan I will work on the list you gave me this week. I really appreciate the help.

Thanks
Bob

So, when Bloomzie got into this, the #1 Alta Vista search was "Britney Spears naked". Now, we all wish she's put her clothes back on!

Status
Not open for further replies.