Teleflora and there $10 delivery, LOL

rodney

Jan 8, 2003
Dansville
Visit site
State / Prov
ny
This Christmas I received many orders for Teleflora's TFWEB251 Christmas Treasure for $29.99 from teleflora.com. All orders stated the price includes $10 for delivery. Lets do the math, $29.99 minus $10 for delivery leaves $19.99 minus 27% for clearinghouse fee (7%) and teleflora.com commission
(20%) leaves $14.59 for product and labor and $7.30 for delivery. After approximatly $9.00 for product and 9.00 for labor, you have $3.89 left and you haven't even bought gas for the delivery van or took into consideration the monthly fees to belong to teleflora. If you fill these $29.99 orders you will lose money on everyone. To make matters worse teleflora buts this same arrangement on our eflorist website for $32.95 which dosen't include delivery, $10 delivery is added on top of the $32.95 arrangement for a total of $42.95. For the florist we now can make a small profit on this arrangement at $42.95. Our customers go to our website and see they will have to pay $42.95 for this arrangement & delivery and then see the same arrangement for $29.99 with delivery included on teleflora.com. When we as a florist send a arrangement to another florist to fill, we are expected to send at the minimum the suggested retail price teleflora suggests and then a delivery charge on top of it. So I guess the $10 delivery fee only applies to teleflora.com orders and the rest of the time the florist is hung out to dry. The only one to get any treasure from telefloras Christmas Treasures was teleflora. I refused every $29.99 order I received from teleflora.com. Teleflora needs to level the playing field and include the $10 delivery on top of the suggested retail price not include it in the price.

Reactions: steve and Dee Dee
Best to NOT fill "company" orders... especially the under $50.00 ones... they are fighting for the bottom offering $29.99 designs... seriously, nothing good comes from that.

Why worry about

Had another shop in town call me to see if we were getting these $29 dollar orders. Stated no, we only accept orders from traditional florist, of which we have gotten a total of 18. Looked back to 2007 and we had 65 incoming during December. Our outgoing was up this year over 2007. Which bottom line means more profit for us. We will let the other shops in town fill $29 orders. As long as there are shops willing to fill (actually demanding more of) these orders they will continue to happen. After FEES and service charges, teleflora and OG make about $16-20. $10-14 service charge + 20% commission + another 7% and receiving fee for wire services. If florist could learn to spend real money upfront on effective targeted marketing they would more than double their profits in the end. Again I reiterate it dose no good to worry or complain about as long as 80% of shops DEMAND more incoming orders. The anger and energy should be directed at them (florist) for facilitating and encouraging this behavior. We are better served educating our peers. Join and promote FLORIST FOR CHANGE and educate rather than spew. When there were strong associations both local and national it was easier to get info and education, we as an industry went through a change and lost those, Florist For Change is trying to do just that. Right now it is attracting the same 20% that get it. We need to attract and encourage the other 80% to become effective.

Had another shop in town call me to see if we were getting these $29 dollar orders. Stated no, we only accept orders from traditional florist, of which we have gotten a total of 18. Looked back to 2007 and we had 65 incoming during December. Our outgoing was up this year over 2007. Which bottom line means more profit for us. We will let the other shops in town fill $29 orders. As long as there are shops willing to fill (actually demanding more of) these orders they will continue to happen. After FEES and service charges, teleflora and OG make about $16-20. $10-14 service charge + 20% commission + another 7% and receiving fee for wire services. If florist could learn to spend real money upfront on effective targeted marketing they would more than double their profits in the end. Again I reiterate it dose no good to worry or complain about as long as 80% of shops DEMAND more incoming orders. The anger and energy should be directed at them (florist) for facilitating and encouraging this behavior. We are better served educating our peers. Join and promote FLORIST FOR CHANGE and educate rather than spew. When there were strong associations both local and national it was easier to get info and education, we as an industry went through a change and lost those, Florist For Change is trying to do just that. Right now it is attracting the same 20% that get it. We need to attract and encourage the other 80% to become effective.
Soon...there WILL BE fewer shops in your town....

We are thankful every day that we canceled out of Teleflora this year - October 2012. We missed the hassle of getting $29 orders to reject. How about if everyone cancels out of Teleflora? Let's just do it!

Again wire services are not the end all of the problem. When 80% or more of shops demand more orders.... leaving the wire service will not change them.
Amen Vic....

This Christmas I received many orders for Teleflora's TFWEB251 Christmas Treasure for $29.99 from teleflora.com. All orders stated the price includes $10 for delivery. Lets do the math, $29.99 minus $10 for delivery leaves $19.99 minus 27% for clearinghouse fee (7%) and teleflora.com commission
(20%) leaves $14.59 for product and labor and $7.30 for delivery. After approximatly $9.00 for product and 9.00 for labor, you have $3.89 left and you haven't even bought gas for the delivery van or took into consideration the monthly fees to belong to teleflora. If you fill these $29.99 orders you will lose money on everyone. To make matters worse teleflora buts this same arrangement on our eflorist website for $32.95 which dosen't include delivery, $10 delivery is added on top of the $32.95 arrangement for a total of $42.95. For the florist we now can make a small profit on this arrangement at $42.95. Our customers go to our website and see they will have to pay $42.95 for this arrangement & delivery and then see the same arrangement for $29.99 with delivery included on teleflora.com. When we as a florist send a arrangement to another florist to fill, we are expected to send at the minimum the suggested retail price teleflora suggests and then a delivery charge on top of it. So I guess the $10 delivery fee only applies to teleflora.com orders and the rest of the time the florist is hung out to dry. The only one to get any treasure from telefloras Christmas Treasures was teleflora. I refused every $29.99 order I received from teleflora.com. Teleflora needs to level the playing field and include the $10 delivery on top of the suggested retail price not include it in the price.

if $19.99 is not enough for this bouquet what is it then? Is it not enough because of the precentage or would it of been enough if you got $19.99 at 100%?

All the wire services have one goal in mind: making money. Not making YOU money. As more and more shops dump the wire services and become more Tech savey by operating their own web sites the wire service become more and more desperate to make money on a shrinking customer base (flower shops). Thats why 800 flowers and FTD are making such a huge effort to ship direct to the end-consumer non-floral products and bypassing the floral shops alltogether. Shops that look real close at their financials may find that they are actually losing money by being a member of wire services and doing damage to their brand at the same time. It's the end of the year and worth a closer look.

It's funny that you mentioned the "Christmas Treasure". We received an order for one today for the same amount. This is below our minimums so we refused it. About 4 hours later, someone from "The Flower Shop" called and asked if we could do a deliver in our area for today and asks for the "Christmas Treasure". We say we don't have the flowers to fill that order even if it was the "deluxe" or "premium".

Later on, my BP was delivering an order and arrives at this house the same time another shop. The driver tells her that this is the second time he was at this house....it was the "Christmas Treasure"! LOL

This is a perfect example of Teleflora competing with their own members, which is something they said they would never do.

This is a perfect example of Teleflora competing with their own members, which is something they said they would never do.
Wire services always tell the truth.../sarcasm........

it's not their fault, silly filling florists want more orders... and that's the truth.

Another truth, is that because of the above fact, it's really the filling florists fault they do the things they do. Without filling florists, there would be no company orders.<period

Reactions: KABERS
Our last day with TF is the 31st because of their policy of 3 month notice. Yeah!! Sick of ordergatherers. We will take Florist to Florist 80-20 split between ourselves. Why let TF run our business at our expense? We tried the $50 min but they still send us orders under and then we have to waste our time going back and forth. So now we are out!! We also quit FTD Jan 1 and bloomnet last spring, and found a difference in our profit, we have profit now!! More direct orders more money for shop. The consumers are looking for local, we are getting the word out, they've been stung too many times by order gather companies.

So now we are out!! We also quit FTD Jan 1 and bloomnet last spring, and found a difference in our profit, we have profit now!! More direct orders more money for shop. The consumers are looking for local, we are getting the word out, they've been stung too many times by order gather companies.
I hear that all the time... especially the part in bold