Teleflora delivery confirmation part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think delivery confirmations are most helpful in just this kind of situation. If I send flowers to my wife and then get a delivery confirmation explaining that they were left with the next door neighbor my next call is to my wife asking her to get them as soon as she can.

I'll take it a step further, I get much gratitude from my customers who appreciate at least letting them in on the status of their order. Here is an unsolicited review of our service (not a good FTD.com promo, but good for us nonetheless):

Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 Outstanding Customer Service!‎ - Katy‎ - Mar 31, 2009

This is the first time I have used this florist and, although the order has not been delivered yet, I had to write a review to say this is an outstanding florist from a customer service perspective at the very least. I order flowers all the time for my company and have typically used FTD.com. Recently, FTD started to fail performance-wise, so I decided to go direct to Google to search for local florists. I chose La Jolla Village Florist at random and perused their website. Being well pleased with both the selection of arrangements and prices, I decided to order with them. Although I ordered later in the day, delivery was scheduled for the same day. Now, I figured I would hear nothing back - because that is what I am used to from other florists and FTD. However, I just received an email from this florist apologizing that they were unable to deliver today; that leaving the arrangement would have been "unsafe" but they left a note for the recipient and they will let me know when delivery has been made. Never, and I mean never, has a florist done this. To say the least, I am quite pleased with their level of service. I can only assume that their floral arrangements are as exceptional. Any time I need flowers in San Diego, I will use none other than La Jolla Village Florist.

The customers do appreciate the most information we can give them on the status of their orders.

Some of the POS systems send out emails with precisely that info (left with neighbor at 'this address', left on porch, etc...). Do the 1-800 DCONS indicate more than just 'delivered'?

Adding the fields and requiring florists to provide the precise info via a WS would be far more tricky.

Cathy, 1800 DCONS do require the information of who signed for the flowers or if they were porched.

Reactions: CHR
Where'd you get that fact? Once again, both FTD and 1-800 reported being DOWN in consumer floral sales nearly 25% in the first quarter.

You've been providing DCONs to your customers for several years and neither TF not FTD have. Why are you not experiencing growth if DCONs are so important to consumers?

Could it have more to do with the deep discounting, affiliate marketing, affinity marketing programs and large ad budgets of the big 3?

Oh, they're not taking orders away from local florists? Florists are not dropping like flies?

Never mind then!

I'll sleep much better now, it must have all just been a bad dream.:headbang:

Joe, interesting angle. But I think there is value in giving the sender the information of what the status of his/her flowers are. Ideally the recipient will sign off for them, but it's still useful for the the both the sending florist and the sending customer to know if it had been porched, left with a neighbor or not confirmed at all.

Exactly why we currently have 3 different customer/florist Dcons - LOP, LWN, NAH - I've asked Abner for a couple more - but we have unlimited delivery status codes (user controlled) (gate locked, quit job, patient discharged, bad address, etc etc) we have about 30 of them.

And thank you for that most excellent example of a customer being delighted at receiving status updates. From a customer who didn't want, need or ask for one. Florist-1, FTD.COM- 0!

OK, after this one...

This is all a moot point if all consumers deal directly with the local delivering florist.<period

Yea, but they'll all still want D-cons as they have been poisoned by the DOG's already!

:thumbsup

I do agree, though.........................................

I was thinking about this issue this morning.

What is the value of a Confirmed Delivery if the flowers are left at the door of a recipient or left with a neighbor?

There is no guarantee that those flowers will reach the recipient. The deliveryman and the florist are making an assumption that the flowers will reach the recipient.

Therefore, there is no or little difference between a Delivery Confirmation made by a neighbor and the OG/WS sender assuming delivery was made without a delivery confirmation.

There is value when the recipient, signs off on the confirmation, but otherwise it looks like wasted effort.

Ding- Ding- Ding!!! Was WAITING to see if this little "issue" would be brought up.

Joe, you a SOOOO correct. We have the tech to do D-cons with our own orders, but decline to do so (pool aside). Many times, we leave packages at the door, under cover, etc. With some of the big homes in Chestnut Hill, you HAVE to! The details as to where the order is left are all on the driver log. Yes, PDA - Smart (i)Phones are out there that can do this. [inject pool packages here].

I prefer to use "Status Reports" than anything else. Mercury X.1 has a nice new order lifecyle thingy - old news to you MAS users, but new to an old Advange/new Merc. X user. I see us using this more than anything else.

As Ryan said - "no report by 5:30 = done" equates to me, no news is good news and the order was delivered to the recip. without any issues. It was NOT left with a neighbor, at a door, with a receptionist, or ANYTHING ELSE but a Person At That Residence.

- H.

Show me the data that supports that the CONSUMER is after a Dcon.

You are correct that consumers, right now, don't request dcon. That's because it's the norm that florists don't provide dcon.

Question is, does this norm continue? Is it possible that consumers will expect it in the near future? If the answer is yes, then we should be better prepared for it, I think.

In our experience (also see below), when we ask if they want delivery confirmation, the majority (I don't track the exact percentage) of callers say 'yes.'

On phone orders it's a different animal. You have to ask the customer for their email address so you can confirm delivery. It's my experience that overwhelmingly the customer say, "No thanks, not necessary."

That's exact opposite to what we've been experiencing.

But I think there's an explanation.

No doubt that the majority of your customers have been your loyal customers for ages. So they know what your shop does and trust you.

That's not the case for new shops, like us, whose revenue growth primarily relies on capturing and retaining new customers. In fact, ~50% of our orders are placed by customers who never called us before.

So naturally, they are a bit anxious about who they are dealing with. Offer of dcon, at least for us, will give these new customers peace of minds.

In other words, dcon may not be that necessary for existing, loyal customers. But it is one of the effective tools for any florists, new and establied, to give peace of minds to new customers.

Joe, interesting angle. But I think there is value in giving the sender the information of what the status of his/her flowers are. Ideally the recipient will sign off for them, but it's still useful for the the both the sending florist and the sending customer to know if it had been porched, left with a neighbor or not confirmed at all.

I think delivery confirmations are most helpful in just this kind of situation. If I send flowers to my wife and then get a delivery confirmation explaining that they were left with the next door neighbor my next call is to my wife asking her to get them as soon as she can.

yes, i can see this as a reason, however, the fact remains.... the recipient still doesn't have the flowers and now you are entrusting a stranger to make sure the recpient receives the flowers. I have been burned too many times with neighbors delivering the flowers.... but that is a different topic.

More importantly and I reiterate, when you leave the flowers with a neighbor or on the porch, you run the risk of non-delivery and a dissatisfied customer. In some markets and some instances, non delivery and having the flowers set in your refrigerator until the you make contact with the recipient is preferable to entrusting your flowers in the hands of a stranger.

Dcon won't eliminate this problem and many computer systems have a delivery instruction window and a delivered comments window. Visual Ticket has both, so if the customer does call we have documentation of the delivery status.

But to suggest or imply that (and i am not suggesting that either of you are) Dcon will solve these inherent floral delivery problems is wrong.

After all these pages, Dcon is still a WS sender's way of CYA.

joe

Goldfish,

Is the issue whether DeCons are good idea or not? Or is the issue whether there should be a mandate by a wire service without providing an efficient seamless way to accomplish them?

I'll gladly give you, Doug, Bloomz, Prestonway, a delivery confirmation. All I need is your or your customer's email address so it can be done without a hassle.

I kind of resent you guys telling me what I need to do and telling me this complicated task will only take a few seconds. If you'd ask me what I did at work yesterday I'd have a tough time telling you as I spent the day doing a bunch of little tasks that only take a few seconds. Come to think about it I should have been done by 9:00 AM. Why was I still at work at 7:00PM!!?

RC

Have to agree with you Luc!!! In shop time would be a problem as it would be with the driver(s). Are they supposewd to phone in after every delivery is dropped off? Or do they drop off a dozen and then come back and fill in a report form on each order? How significant are non-deliveries? 1%. 0.01%. NOT A LOT WHATEVER PERCENTAGE. Who can estimate the man-hours spent just to say everything went as planned? If we are going to make a rule let's make it for the exception. Require fillers to report to senders orders that ARE NOT delivered as requested.

Reactions: Dorothy
minor thread correction - The issue with this thread is not whether or not DCONNS are needed, warranted, mandated, etc. That is covered in the other thread. This thread is all about trying to come up with solutions for delivery pool situations.

Remember - in our illustration given at the start of the thread - Flower Shop A took the order from a WS or a customer - It is out of Flower Shop A's delivery area.....but it is in Flower Shop B's delivery area - Both Flower Shop A and Flower Shop B are separate businesses ( not branch stores ), both are members of the delivery pool.

The issue of this thread is - How does Flower Shop A send the DCONN when Flower Shop B is making the delivery for Flower Shop A ?

Reactions: 1 person
Is the issue whether DeCons are good idea or not? Or is the issue whether there should be a mandate by a wire service without providing an efficient seamless way to accomplish them?

Primarily the latter, because no one has argued dcon is bad. Rather, some florists, including yourself, take a position that benefits of dcon are not great enough to justify the hassle.

They are in a sense correct; I do agree that, especially for florists in delivery pool, hassle and expense of providing dcon would be, currently, prohibitive.

Therefore, making dcon mandatory would be unfair. I like Darrel's compromise plan.

I'll gladly give you, Doug, Bloomz, Prestonway, a delivery confirmation. All I need is your or your customer's email address so it can be done without a hassle.

That's not going to happen, as you know it.

I kind of resent you guys telling me what I need to do and telling me this complicated task will only take a few seconds.

I don't know what other pro-dcon'ers think, but I don't demand dcons from filling florists. If they choose to not provide dcons, that's their choice.

As a sender, however, I would definitely prefer a florist who provides a timely dcon. Picture proof is even better. I want to know if a particular shop provides dcon or not, before sending our order to them.

Reactions: LJVF
Question for dcon avocates:

If you went to a town and there was 2 choices of florist, one that you knew was not all that great(maybe you had problems in the past with them) they are listed to provide dcons. Florist B you know is excellent and you have been using them for years with great success, but they will not provide a dcon. Would you ever select the florist that provides the dcon over the florist that is tried and true???

Joan

Reactions: LJVF
TIME FOR A SUMMATION OF THE ABOVE EIGHT PAGES.......HERE ARE THE SOLUTIONS ESPOUSED SO FAR......

1) require all member florists of said pool to have active twitter accounts. Each driver at end of delivery sends a 'tweet message code confirming delivery' to the originating shop twitter account.

2) Colored sticker on pool ticket/envelope indicating that this order requires a DCONN.

3) Separate plan as yet unknown/undescribed by Herb ( PhillyFlorist )

4) Homing Pigeons to fly back and forth between individual shops in pool

5) Dconns mandantory for delivery in Shop's own delivery area - not mandantory for deliveries out of shop's delivery area.

6) As pointed out by Joe - put the sender's phone/contact on envelope/pool ticket/delivery stub so the delivering forist can contact the sender.

--------------------------------------------------------------

OK - Any more suggestions from the collective knowledge and wisdom of FlowerChat members to help solve this dilemma? - If not, then we need to move to working out the kinks/details in the listed solutions.

Do we need a restatement of the dilemma/problem ?

Reactions: 1 person
Just going through our FSN reviews, and found a 4 star review. (Out of 5)

Name: Mary
It would be nice to know when the delivery was completed and received.

Thought it was relevant for the discussion.

Here's another example... Note this customer is in Spain.

(snip) How wonderful of you to send a photo of the bouquet with your confirmation of delivery. You may now call yourselves an international company with customers in Spain !!

In an effort to keep problem solving solution hunting on track....let's define the information that has to be present on a DCONN message.

I would assume that it needs to me more than ..... "arr del at 4pm " or similar

Here's another example... Note this customer is in Spain.
Quote:
(snip) How wonderful of you to send a photo of the bouquet with your confirmation of delivery. You may now call yourselves an international company with customers in Spain !!

To take it one step further.

I am not a wire service nor an OG, I have no incentive to promote dcon's. My opinion on the matter mostly comes strictly through personal experience and observation.

I operate what I consider a small to mid sized shop. I monitor all emails and personally answer a good percentage of phone calls on a daily basis. I am not exaggerating when I say I get at least one request on the phone (during the order taking) and one email request per day for a dcon. On top of these, I get at least two requests per day asking for the status of a delivery. In my world, there is a definite demand for dcons.

What I'm getting at is I think for some of us, we recognize that there is a demand for dcons via our own personal experience; this is why we do not frown upon the concept of the mandatory dcon. For those of you that feel it is unnecessary, I believe it is because you haven't recognized any demand for them. If we all were experiencing the same demands, I think there would be more incentive for all of us to embrace the dcon concept and come up with a viable plan.

To be fair, I must admit, that I rarely receive a dcon request from a sending florist other than an OG or wire service.

TIME FOR A SUMMATION OF THE ABOVE EIGHT PAGES.......HERE ARE THE SOLUTIONS ESPOUSED SO FAR......

1) require all member florists of said pool to have active twitter accounts. Each driver at end of delivery sends a 'tweet message code confirming delivery' to the originating shop twitter account.

2) Colored sticker on pool ticket/envelope indicating that this order requires a DCONN.

3) Separate plan as yet unknown/undescribed by Herb ( PhillyFlorist )

4) Homing Pigeons to fly back and forth between individual shops in pool

5) Dconns mandantory for delivery in Shop's own delivery area - not mandantory for deliveries out of shop's delivery area.

--------------------------------------------------------------

OK - Any more suggestions from the collective knowledge and wisdom of FlowerChat members to help solve this dilemma? - If not, then we need to move to working out the kinks/details in the listed solutions.

Do we need a restatement of the dilemma/problem ?

You missed one. Give the filling florist the customer's phone number so we can confirm delivery.

This is far and away the most efficient use of everyone's time AND it is providing the service that OG's are demanding.

Plain and simple. Give me the phone number of the customer and I will take care of the rest.

joe

Anyone??? Anyone?????

Question for dcon avocates:

If you went to a town and there was 2 choices of florist, one that you knew was not all that great(maybe you had problems in the past with them) they are listed to provide dcons. Florist B you know is excellent and you have been using them for years with great success, but they will not provide a dcon. Would you ever select the florist that provides the dcon over the florist that is tried and true???

Joan

Status
Not open for further replies.