Teleflora's new "cookie cutters"

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are coded for TF's Satin Collection and several of the colored cubes. As a result, I have more codified arrangements listed on my TF shop listing than I can possibly remember! I had to print copies of each one so that I didn't have to get online and look it up or dig out my TF Web catalogs everytime an order for one came in. Cubes are by far the best seller for me, probably because of the price point. I have not sold any Satin containers yet, but they look pretty sitting on my shelf!! The arrangents are very nice, but the price scares most of my customers away. lol We just recently added FTD as we will soon be the only shop in town with that WS. We took the promo rate until the end of August, so if it doesn't pan out we'll dump it.
Calli,

Are you lol because the price scares most of your customers away? Or because you signed up for a second wire service?

Well RC I think we're neither average, sub-par, or a Jimmy on a Shoestring shop, as MOF I make the claim to be one of the market leaders in our state. (Legend in my own mind you know...)

And if we're gonna sell nooooobody, who the hey is paying my rent? :kuddle:

My point is, and I'm yet to be proven wrong (but not by that one customer I once had who said "I don't want an FTD look") - they don't know who else has them and the consumer ASSumes that they're in house designs. Which they pretty much are, as once we make it, it is our arrangement, with our name on it.

Unless you have a wire service template site and there are many identical others in your area. And even then, I just can't see a consumer thinking along those thought patterns you are describing "mm, gee I'm don't like these bouquets because so and so also has them".

To which sir, I would have to say a resounding "Bah-loney".

So IMO - the point really IS whether the images are nice or not, and they are.

You're a unique animal, Mr RC, and your product mix is but only one part of your broad appeal, and my own guess, is not the primary one, as value has (as far as I can figure) been your #1 primary focus.

Bloomz,

You can make all the claims you want, but in reality you will never be anything more the typical if you offer your customers the typical.

There is a Pizza Hut commercial where Pizza Hut's lasagna is being served in a fine restaurant to the surprised patrons who thought the meal was delicious.

The message of the commercial is Pizza Hut's lasagna is good enough to be served in fine restaurants, not that fine restaurants should start serving Pizza Hut food. That would be disastrous for the fine restaurant.

RC

I can appreciate both sides of this debate.

In house custom arrangements vs TF custom arrangements.

However, the problem with this debate is florists are debating florists.

Besides some anactodal references to customers not wanting WS arrangements I have yet to see any analysis that customers prefer in house over ws arrangements.

I know, we all have customers who do not want WS arrangements, but in reality what percent is that of your customer base? Less than 10%. 5%, 1%???....

I know for me, customers don't care. They like what the see and they choose it. They don't particularly care where they see the images, rather it is what they like.... not where.

With new TF arrangements being pumped out like a puppy mill these days, without the TF coding, many people wouldn't know if those arrangements were generated by TF designers or my own designers.

I am not saying one side is right and the other side is wrong with this debate.

I am just making a couple observations.

Now, its' 9:27 Sunday morning and I am sending out TF190-2 Gentle Thoughts bouquet. The order came in last night and it is for a funeral out of my area.

the order comes from a person in STL who uses my website to send orders at least once or twice a month.

again just an observation.

joe

We are coded for TF's Satin Collection and several of the colored cubes. As a result, I have more codified arrangements listed on my TF shop listing than I can possibly remember! I had to print copies of each one so that I didn't have to get online and look it up or dig out my TF Web catalogs everytime an order for one came in. Cubes are by far the best seller for me, probably because of the price point. I have not sold any Satin containers yet, but they look pretty sitting on my shelf!! The arrangents are very nice, but the price scares most of my customers away. lol We just recently added FTD as we will soon be the only shop in town with that WS. We took the promo rate until the end of August, so if it doesn't pan out we'll dump it.
Use up those satin containers with bulb plants! Bulb plants would look pretty in those. They don't make any money sitting on the shelf!

Also, just want to say, we have both TF and our own stuff on our websites.

Joe,
is it good or bad that your work can easily be duplicated by nearly any other florist in the nation?

I had an internet order the other day for the Cream Prophyta Arrangement. The customer was sending it to Tennessee and made the comment please tell the florist to make it just like the picture. Unfortunately, this will never happen. That florist in TN surely doesn't have the Italian terracotta pot, probably doesn't have poppy pods, nor the glass balls, and most doubtfully has the prophyta roses. I know very well even if the florists had those items they wouldn't make it for $29.95.
attachment.php

After explaining the situation the customer chose not to make a purchase, but from the card message "I just wanted to surprise you with these beautiful roses" I don't think I really lost a sale because he wasn't interested in sending a TF190-1. Over a few day period I sold nearly 100 of those arrangements. I got to choose the container, the flowers, the glass balls, the poppy pods etc, all from stock I already had in my cooler and inventory sitting on the shelves.

When I make flower purchases I can take advantage of special pricing because I'm determining what will be sold. I'm not allowing the wire service to do it for me.

Randy,

In one of your posts in this thread, you suggested to bloomzie to stock more and diverse product.

Then in your most recent thread, you inform the customer that this order will not be filled the way it looks in your picture.

Why doesn't that florist have those flowers or that clay pot?

I generally find outgoing ws orders are easier to send out and have filled when the order allows the filling designer some flexibility with flowers and or colors.

Do you agree?

joe

Randy, the customer chose TF190-2 via my website, had I spoke with her on the phone I would have told her to make a second choice, something more generic.

I too would not have lost that sale, had she chose something else.

joe

Joe,
is it good or bad that your work can easily be duplicated by nearly any other florist in the nation?

I had an internet order the other day for the Cream Prophyta Arrangement. The customer was sending it to Tennessee and made the comment please tell the florist to make it just like the picture. Unfortunately, this will never happen. That florist in TN surely doesn't have the Italian terracotta pot, probably doesn't have poppy pods, nor the glass balls, and most doubtfully has the prophyta roses. I know very well even if the florists had those items they wouldn't make it for $29.95.
attachment.php

After explaining the situation the customer chose not to make a purchase, but from the card message "I just wanted to surprise you with these beautiful roses" I don't think I really lost a sale because he wasn't interested in sending a TF190-1. Over a few day period I sold nearly 100 of those arrangements. I got to choose the container, the flowers, the glass balls, the poppy pods etc, all from stock I already had in my cooler and inventory sitting on the shelves.

When I make flower purchases I can take advantage of special pricing because I'm determining what will be sold. I'm not allowing the wire service to do it for me.

I suppose what you are saying here is that when filling orders for you local customers, make it your own in house specials, but when sending out of town, send something generic.

If that is what you are saying, then yes, I agree.

joe
btw: I like the arrangement

Earlier it was said that Tf has some of the best designers anywhere etc..but I think if a local WS member has to fill one of these new cookie cutters at the price given them without the help of photoshop and still make it look great, then, they are perhaps just as talented as the designer and photo team that put up these new choices to begin with.
And TF probably had all day to design it, create it, photograph it & photoshop it. We have sometimes minutes to create and get something out the door to arrive on time. Also, if you look at a site like Bachmans, they will specify on each design if it can be delivered locally or nationally as they have their own designs as well that can not be duplicated for the price by all shops in all areas.

Reactions: CHR
Earlier it was said that Tf has some of the best designers anywhere etc..but I think if a local WS member has to fill one of these new cookie cutters at the price given them without the help of photoshop and still make it look great, then, they are perhaps just as talented as the designer and photo team that put up these new choices to begin with.
And TF probably had all day to design it, create it, photograph it & photoshop it. We have sometimes minutes to create and get something out the door to arrive on time. Also, if you look at a site like Bachmans, they will specify on each design if it can be delivered locally or nationally as they have their own designs as well that can not be duplicated for the price by all shops in all areas.

Hey Chez,

are you suggesting we send photoshopped photos in place of the real thing? ;)

joe

I really need to get back to funeral work.

Bloomz,

You can make all the claims you want, but in reality you will never be anything more the typical if you offer your customers the typical.

RC

RC you again assume too much. With 40% of our local business being walkin and around another 25 being telephone orders - do you really think there's nothing in our cooler besides selection guide arrangements?

And, my entire point is, the rate of release (monthly) and newness of these "cookies" (yum) is what makes them not so "typical". This is where Teleflora is stepping up to the plate.

Your own post showed the two edgedness that featuring things that can't be fulfilled elsewhere can actually cost you orders. We can't afford to lose any order, or at least choose not to.

And, pretty tho it certainly is, my impression is, the price point had a huge amount to do with it.

Price this at $29.95 and you'll also have a runaway best seller.

http://www.teleflora.com/flowers/bouquet/spring-sonata-210533p.asp

I've got one in terra cotta that I don't care for a bit, but the dang thing sells, likely the price

tf-f4_small.jpg

So I should probably quit typing up in here and get to work adding some more of these items to my site huh?

There must be something more productive I can do with my time.

ooo ooo ooo, it sunny outside and I got a huge motorcycle in the garage!!!

Great day to all!

An observation from reading this thread.....

Two business philosophies emerged: The leaders and the ones who follow the leaders. I think both are necessary in this industry. I admire RC because he is a leader, a innovator, thinking outside the normal flowered box. He didn't hit the "copy" button in developing his business but instead created his own image and was successful. This philosophy sets comfortably with me and is my path and process. There are others who duplicate themselves to mirror the already successful and become successful as a result. They are more comfortable with that path. This could be said the same for many industries. I see an ever so subtle change happening in the flower industry towards seeking new leadership, especially with the newer florists. That is where the frustration lies with florist such as myself. Toto can give us the best examples of the years of transition and where we should go and I respect his experience. We all learn from each other and every aspect of the industry. I think we should all follow our comfortable path and let the industry follow those paths and results whatever they may be down the road. My prediction is a new florist's model without WS and OG. I hope....

We have a set of assumptions, concepts, values, and practices that constitutes the way we view how we think our industry is supposed to be.

All I have tried to do is point out to those willing enough to have an open mind is that things don't have to be that way. Reading these boards, listening to others in the industry, and following that few statistics available, it is apparent that things aren't all that rosy for our industry. I'm suggesting there is going to be a shift in the assumptions of how our industry is supposed to be. It's better to be on the leading curve rather that being lost in the way things used to be.

RC

Goldie:
Sometimes I just don't know where you are coming from, really!!

I'm coming from a restaurant owner's perspective. We started from scratch, invested a lot more than we have done (so far) on this flower shop.

I really don't care (call me a floral bore if you want) what product sells, as long as it sells!!

A lot of restaurants went out of business precisely because they started offering whatever people are willing to eat.

I understand the temptation, though, because when a restaurant starts selling a popular meal (cup cakes, hamburgers, etc), it always increases cash flow in the short term.

People order these items (they "sell"). In the meantime, sales of your original offering will decline a bit, because people order cup cakes instead of (as opposed to, in addition to) your regular meal.

You might not even notice this cannibalization, because you most likely gets excited by the sudden increase of sales. As you said, "who cares?" if other meal doesn't sell...

But any restaurant owner should care, if you are losing identity (we call it "concept") of the restaurant.

When restaurant owners start chasing only a short-term gain, they tend to lose identity. Once a restaurant lost its identity, it no longer has any loyal clients. This restaurant has to compete for random customers, just like an OG compete for largely random Internet customers.

It might work, if the restaurant is located in a high-traffic area, serving quick meal. But that's very hard to do. So most restaurant owners try very hard to establish their own identities in their local areas. Create "fans" of your establishment and go from there.

I think what's happening is that many florists are getting impatient. That's what I see.

If I have one product that takes sales away from every other product on my site - so be it, as long as I get that sale.

If the overall revenue stays the same, there really is nothing to be excited about the hit product, don't you think?

Problem is that, if a website consists of a whole bunch of cookies, you almost have to add new cookies as they come in. Because people prefer new cookies to old cookies and, if you don't offer new cookies, other OG sites would take sales from you. It's a vicious cycle with little upward potential.

If you are offering unique products, you won't have this problem.

I'm coming from a restaurant owner's perspective. We started from scratch, invested a lot more than we have done (so far) on this flower shop.

A lot of restaurants went out of business precisely because they started offering whatever people are willing to eat.

I understand the temptation, though, because when a restaurant starts selling a popular meal (cup cakes, hamburgers, etc), it always increases cash flow in the short term.

People order these items (they "sell"). In the meantime, sales of your original offering will decline a bit, because people order cup cakes instead of (as opposed to, in addition to) your regular meal.

You might not even notice this cannibalization, because you most likely gets excited by the sudden increase of sales. As you said, "who cares?" if other meal doesn't sell...

But any restaurant owner should care, if you are losing identity (we call it "concept") of the restaurant.

When restaurant owners start chasing only a short-term gain, they tend to lose identity. Once a restaurant lost its identity, it no longer has any loyal clients. This restaurant has to compete for random customers, just like an OG compete for largely random Internet customers.

It might work, if the restaurant is located in a high-traffic area, serving quick meal. But that's very hard to do. So most restaurant owners try very hard to establish their own identities in their local areas. Create "fans" of your establishment and go from there.

I think what's happening is that many florists are getting impatient. That's what I see.

Thanks goldfish,

It's unfortunate; most florists don't have many fans. They rely on random customers. It's not that customers don't want to be fans. It's that most florists don't offer anything special to give them reason to be.

It's my opinion that random customers are too expensive for brick and mortar shops. They aren't loyal, they shop out of convenience and price, and they are more willing to purchase from established national brands such as FTD or 1-800. We all know how expensive YP and pay-per-click advertising is. This type advertising is to capture random customers. It is expensive and heavily controlled by Ordergatherers and wire services.

Fans on the other hand don't generally like the status quo. They aren't interested in ordergatherers or wire services. They are looking for something unique and special and aren't willing to be a fans without good reason. Very few florists ever rise to the level of developing fans. Instead they continue to fight in the overcrowded random customer arena.

RC

Some random observations; I can see merits on both sides...

One tempting thing to me about WS images (really doesn't matter since I'm not a tf or ftd member) is the fact that someone else took the darn picture! I do use John Henry and SAF images.

Ugh I have a hard time w/floral photography. Yes I know there are threads and articles on the topic, I just hate the putziness of trying to do it. It takes me a long time to get it just right and I never really feel I do. That is this weeks project, suffer thru the boringness and get some darn pics of my own cute arrangements on my site!

Having said that....In my little bit of experience I notice that custom photos of your own work seem to be of more importance to brides than everyday customers.

I like what RC said about fans. I agree!!
Don't we all have our "people" who think we do great work and like our style? I'd like more of those. I aspire to have one of those stores and websites that people remark over and love (and buy from!)
Still a lot of work to do there but that is the goal.

Totally agree about creating fans

But you create fans by how you treat them, not where you get your images.

Two things - some og's (us) have many fans - many customers who go nowhere else for their flowers - and these are not local customers. Several that have used us over 100 times send flowers - back to their own cities.

why? I think we're proviing something unique - a special service they don't feel they get elsewhere. (But - like Toto says you're only as good as your last order)

We're also concerned with and have many local fans. and it's all about how we treat them and schmooze them, while providing quality fresh flowers in appealing long lasting designs. We have a very large percentage of walkin customers - close to 40% - our task is to make how we treat them memorable to every one of them, and we do a very good job of that.

Here I'm gonna toss out something somebody up in here is bound to disagree with, just cuz I'm bloomz:

In order of importance -

Service (Schmoozing and treatment)
Freshness
Design

Point #2 - what makes John Henry or SAF images not "cookie cutters"?????

The point that they are not Proven Best Sellers perhaps? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.