Teleflora's new "cookie cutters"

Status
Not open for further replies.
As much as it would be nice 'migo...we don't stock hydrangea or phals on a regular basis, nor do many of the shops sending florists (OGs) like us (you and I) send orders to.

Bloomz,

You keep implying I'm an ordergatherer. Although flattering it's not a very accurate depiction of my business. My little site flowers99 accounts for about 0.002 of my business's revenue.

What percent of your business is ordergathering? Maybe that explains why you don't stock hydrangea.

This is the fresh inventory in my coolers available to my customers
Flower market Fresh Flowers

Now, what's in your Cooler?

RC

RC- you could fit my entire store in your cooler.....nope we don't even touch that, never mean to even imply we did.

But I'm glad you're flattered, coming from me it's what I consider a compliment and a sign of a progressive thinking florist.

Which designs are better? Teleflora or an individual florist's unique designs?

designs, this is an opinion exclusive from a comparison debate.

However, I do think a lot of them are hard to fill on short notice. The ones that I added to my website are those that I usually always have an adequate supply of the flowers and/or hard good in stock weekly. When a local customer orders from my website, I'm not forced to chase for the flowers or container. But for wire ins, chasing for the supplies can mean the difference in filling in the red or black.

Then again, we can invoke the "substitution clause" and do the same "look" of about any of them using flowers we have in stock.

I'd:kuddle: love to slug a baseball bat at one of those TF smiley face mugs.

Now THAT is possiby THE best example there is of a Proven Best Seller!

That one has sold consistently for about 10 years now, dumb as it may be - consumers love it. It would serve you well to buy the knockoffs from Burton & Burton and offer them, unless you're stuck in the "floral artiste" mode.

Had to groan you for that!

I urge all of you to START THINKING ABOUT WHAT APPEALS TO YOUR CUSTOMERS -- NOT JUST TO YOU, AS A FLORAL DESIGNER.

Start looking for images, and taking pictures that incorporate this type of look -- clean, often monchromatic. Happy flowers (like the smiley mug) appeal to those in the hospital, for instance. We are hearing more and more "budget pressure" questions.

Think like your customer!! It will pay off in spades!

Regards,
Cheryl

Often a large percentage of consumers prefer monofloral as well, contrary to the beliefs of most florists. Research has proven this.

Im getting more and more convinced over the years of this debate up in here, that this "Unique Designs" stuff is more about pleasing other florists than the purchasing public at large. Read as: ego.

I think we're now at 1.6 million Gorilla orders a year (without Teleflora in the mix) - take about half of that (generously) away for drop ship, and we're approching 1 million customers a year that like and buy these "cookies".

Anybody up in here have a million customers a year?

Anyone in here think these "cookie cutters" are done by substandard designers?????

Generally speaking (exceptions of course) 99% of the flower shops in the country do no better designs (likely worse) than the new stuff coming down the pike from the ones who do the market research. Okay make it only 98%.

If your ego tells you you do, well good on you. Go for it.

Me I'm gonna continue following the leaders. See here.

Rock on. :musical:

But Cheryl I really wanna knock it out the park! Just kidding (sort of)
I know its a big TF seller. And thats great if you sell them. We do tons of low cube arrangments and short fat cylinder vases etc. We're not TF so we could'nt stock the mugs anyway. I do like cute things, but sometimes I draw the line. Once, at a shop long ago, we had too much wine after work and went out in the parking lot to play baseball with Precious moments figurines. I know, its just wrong on so many levels, but felt kinda good.

I loathe the smiley mug, I loathe Joe Boxers smiley underwear, I loathe smiley soaps, socks, sheets, shovels. You get the idea. ;)

:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

And don't get me started on precious moments.

V

I can tell you first hand - put them on your web site and they do sell.

There's a danger in that kind of thinking though.

When you place a product in your store or on website, it will have many effects other than the revenue (or lack of it) that this product generates.

Firstly, more often than not, a popular product would cannibalize the sales of other less popular products.

The overall gain by introducing a new product is a difference between the sales of this popular product and the sales of several other less popular products whose sales are cannibalized.

So the end result is often not that impressive, even if the new product sells like crazy.

A more important point that is often overlooked is whether this product fits the image (or brand) your business is trying to convey.

Starbucks started selling pre-packaged coffee some time ago. The decision made sense at that time, because it saves money and is more suitable for mass production. By doing so, however, Starbucks lost a certain atmosphere of an authentic coffee shop. They now have to compete with McDonald's and 7-11's. You would note that Starbucks is now closing hundreds of shops.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that question of whether or not we should put a certain product online should not be made lightly. The decision should be based on, not just whether it sells or not, but on your long-term business strategy.

If a Teleflora florist (we are not) starts putting every arrangement TF came up with, this shop has no product strategy. Eventually (I don't know how long it takes), they will pay the price for the lack of thinking IMO.

There's a danger in that kind of thinking though.

When you place a product in your store or on website, it will have many effects other than the revenue (or lack of it) that this product generates.

Firstly, more often than not, a popular product would cannibalize the sales of other less popular products.

The overall gain by introducing a new product is a difference between the sales of this popular product and the sales of several other less popular products whose sales are cannibalized.

So the end result is often not that impressive, even if the new product sells like crazy.

Huh???

That made zero sense to me Goldie.

If I have one product that takes sales away from every other product on my site - so be it, as long as I get that sale.

He-ll with the unpopular ones.:hammer:

You can have 'em...

I'm just sayin'

I loathe the smiley mug, I loathe Joe Boxers smiley underwear, I loathe smiley soaps, socks, sheets, shovels. You get the idea. ;)

:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

And don't get me started on precious moments.

V

V, gasp!---I would have NEVER thought!! Chez, I'm with you, I couldn't stand seeing those happy face mugs on the shelf. I would love, love, LOVE to play ball with you one day! I couldn't do the Precious Moments though...

Goldie:
Sometimes I just don't know where you are coming from, really!!

I am a retail flower merchant.
My mission in life is to sell flowers -- product if you will.

I really don't care (call me a floral bore if you want) what product sells, as long as it sells!!

I find that generally people choose based upon:
1. PRICE, first and foremost
2. Delivery Options -- can I get it today??
3.. Type of product (roses, or tulips or iris, etc).
4. Appealing color -- (brights vs pastels; monochromatic vs multip color)

We have done some testing.....and reight now especially, products are very, very price sensative to buyers.

Cheryl

Ok, had a chance to check some of them out, I do happen to like the sympathy sprays...they are a step up from what they have done in the past...it's not easy to take your own pictures of standing sprays...

IMO, I still think florists should have at least some of their own images on their site however I won't deny, that some of these TF images are very nice looking...

I attached some TFWEB images below....

Attachments

• 260807.jpeg
    260807.jpeg
    45.9 KB · Views: 25
  • 260805.jpeg
    260805.jpeg
    44.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 260105.jpeg
    260105.jpeg
    41.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 260116.jpeg
    260116.jpeg
    42 KB · Views: 26
  • 260810.jpeg
    260810.jpeg
    48.1 KB · Views: 22
The point isn't whether the TF images are nice or not.

They are good selling tools for average and sub par shops, but they are a disadvantage to florists who want to differentiate themselves as better.

Better shops must separate themselves from the Jimmy on a Shoestring shops. This cannot be done if they are selling their customers the exact same items as Jimmy on a Shoestring, or Betty in her Basement, or Phoneyflorist.com.

This is very apparent with brides who shop at several florists only to be shown the exact same images from the exact same wire service books.
Who you gonna sell that way? Noooobody!

RC

Here's what Goldie is talking about:

Can Companies Grow From Micro to Mass and Remain Special?

If the secret of becoming big and successful meant staying small, would you stay small?

Making a company bigger has a way of changing a company for the worse. There are few experienced-based retail brands that have successfully gone from small to big without losing their brand identity and specialness.

Growth requires the introduction of new priorities that often work against founding priorities. Scarcity makes a brand special. Growth - even too much of a good thing - makes it feel less special.

The secret to long term success?

Stay small, simple, and focused.

Starbucks Coffee Company has been a case study for successful, non-traditional growth. Now, they're not only challenged with the economy, but are also trying to figure out what the Starbucks brand is. What makes it special? What does the brand stand for? A few issues seem to cause brands like Starbucks to lose what makes them special, they are:

• Going Public Changes Priorities
  • More Isn't Merrier - Scarcity Keeps Its Special
  • Passion Can Only Be Spread So Thin
  • Quality Trade-Offs For Efficiency
Going Public Changes Priorities

When a company goes public, its purpose no longer is to only please their customer. Shareholders now share priority. Inevitably, decisions are made to please Wall Street often with the result of watering down the experience of your customers.

The experience at a Build-A-Bear Workshop retail store is the magic of lovingly, handcrafting your own custom stuffed bear. First, choose the bear exterior you want. Then a small, red fabric heart is handed to you to kiss before putting it inside the shell. Next, your bear is filled with as much or little stuffing as you want to make it softy or firm. It is then gently stitched up, given an air bath, and registered with its own birth certificate. It is an amazing experience worth the higher price than an average off-the-shelf bear.

Build-A-Bear, to build awareness as it went public, launched an off-the-shelf line of bears at Target. The bear shell fits like a jacket that zips over a bear shaped pre-filled pillow. Yes there is still a heart, and you can fill-out papers for it. Build-A-Bear increased their awareness and availability of its product, but at the expense of the experience and the magic.

Starbucks growth (and now retraction through store closures) is resulting from the company's drive to meet expectations set by Wall Street. While growth and success has been a wild ride, employees have felt the pressure and wondered, 'When would the growth stop!?' HR couldn't find and train people fast enough. Store partners were trained in stages, the most important parts, drink making and cash handling, first... Coffee knowledge later. Poor choices had to be made for leadership to maintain with growth expectations set by Wall Street. The work to support quantity has cause quality to suffer.
More Isn't Merrier - Scarcity Keeps It Special

When Starbucks locations were first opening, they were super special. When you visited a city that had one... you HAD to make a special trip to go there. Starbucks was a destination. This has been the same story for Build-A-Bear Workshop, Whole Foods Market, and Krispy Kreme. This was the story for the first McDonald's and WalMart.

The way we typically grow brands in America too many makes the uncommon common. The secret to keeping it special is to restrict growth. To resist the desire to 'be everywhere your customer wants you to be.'

There is no doubt that the delicious, high-quality In-and-Out Burger concept would be successful all across North America. However, even if they could expand without altering a single operational aspect (fresh never-frozen-beef burgers, fresh-cut fries from whole potatoes, limited menu offerings)... While we'd be happier cities with bigger bellies... In-and-Out would lose its specialness. Good for In-and-Out choosing special over more.
There is something about going to where it is versus having it come to you that makes a retail brand special.
Passion Can Only Be Spread So Thin

When a company is small, the passion of the founder can be conveyed directly to new hires. In face-to-face meetings passion, energy, and values are personally delivered. As the company grows logistics often require that passion is delegated to the HR team, motivating training videos and your boss.

Now the message is one or two levels from you. It is not possible for these facsimiles – as good as they may be – to convey the original spirit. So now the passion and meaning is a bit diluted... Even a wee bit, it's still less potent.

Old time Starbucks partners told me about the energy, power, and passion at the meetings between founder Howard Schultz and the few dozen employees that launched the company. In the 90s I was there when Starbucks was still small enough for Howard to visit each city and employees in each market. By the early 2000's Starbucks had grown so much it was no longer possible for Howard to visit all his stores or meet all his employees. Video messages were filmed and sent to store manager to view and share.
Quality Trade-Offs For Efficiency

In the begging at Starbucks...

Passionate employees handcrafted espresso beverages with skill and expertise. Milk was hand-steamed by a barista who would carefully adjust the steaming pitcher allowing just the right amount of air to make the foam thick and fluffy. The thermometer was constantly monitored to ensure perfect temperature. There was just enough milk for your serving; the next latte got the same fresh milk treatment.

Next, espresso shots were quality-tasted hourly. Grinders were calibrated to account for changes in the weather and humidity. Each espresso shot pulled was monitored to ensure it wasn't pouring too fast or slow. And, each was visually inspected for the proper layers of heart, body, and crema. If it wasn't right, it would be poured out and the process started again. Each barista knew how to adjust the grind to fix it. Before the shot “expired” it would be – based on your drink type - topped with the proper proportion of milk and foam. (A shot sitting more than 20 seconds loses its freshness and begins to taste bitter. If it sits too long, it is considered expired and a new shot would have to be pulled).

When was the last time two of these steps occurred when you got a latte at Starbucks? Doesn't that sound like an amazing place to bring a friend?
Not only is this care missing at Starbucks, customers today wouldn't put up with the wait time required to allow that quality. Starbucks (and customers) have efficiency-ized the quality out. Speed required automation, and automation requires shortcuts.
JB -

As much as you'd like to ascribe uniqueness to 'ego', wise marketers call it a 'unique selling position' or providing a 'unique user experience' or just 'being special'.

We've had at least 15 shops - close around us in the last 6 months. Nearly every one was running a WS template website with designs from the 'finest designers in the country'. Doesn't sound like it helped all that much...

Added: If I don't reply to anything said in this thread later today or tomorrow, it's because a couple construction workers knocked out our home phone & DSL lines so I'll have no web access again until Monday when I return to work. :(

goldie, I do think I get what you're gettin' at, it's like the old saying: "give a man a fish and he can feed his family for a day, give a man a fishing pole and he can feed his family for a lifetime."

Give a shop some cookie cutters and they can get by for a day, have a shop create it's own unique cookie cutters and that shop will have a brand for a lifetime.

I see both sides to this argument. There is no way of proving who is right and who is wrong, this is a hopeless debate. Shops are struggling or closing regardless of whether they are unique or not.

A shop can provide unique designs, but if those designs, customer service, location, marketing, accounting, or a million other variables suck, then that shop will fail. It's more than one thing.

Just because a shop succeeds using unique designs, doesn't mean every shop will succeed doing the same. The same can be said about using WS cookie cutters. These are just tools.

A brand is not built on just one thing.

Yea Darrell,

Some never step up to the plate. Some step up to the plate and never swing. While some swing and strike out, but they are the only ones that ever had a chance of hitting the ball out of the park.

Some don't strive at all. Some strive to only get by. Some strive to be average. While a few strive to be better. Who are we to judge who is right, and who is wrong. But on the other hand should we have pity for the ones who fail because they never tried?

RC

Broad appeal is the name of the game

I think the business acumen and talent from FC members is better than anything TF can spit out.....IMHO.

Right, umm, yeah, sure, whatever you say...:spin

The point isn't whether the TF images are nice or not.

They are good selling tools for average and sub par shops, but they are a disadvantage to florists who want to differentiate themselves as better.

Better shops must separate themselves from the Jimmy on a Shoestring shops. This cannot be done if they are selling their customers the exact same items as Jimmy on a Shoestring, or Betty in her Basement, or Phoneyflorist.com.

This is very apparent with brides who shop at several florists only to be shown the exact same images from the exact same wire service books.
Who you gonna sell that way? Noooobody!

RC

Well RC I think we're neither average, sub-par, or a Jimmy on a Shoestring shop, as MOF I make the claim to be one of the market leaders in our state. (Legend in my own mind you know...)

And if we're gonna sell nooooobody, who the hey is paying my rent? :kuddle:

My point is, and I'm yet to be proven wrong (but not by that one customer I once had who said "I don't want an FTD look") - they don't know who else has them and the consumer ASSumes that they're in house designs. Which they pretty much are, as once we make it, it is our arrangement, with our name on it.

Unless you have a wire service template site and there are many identical others in your area. And even then, I just can't see a consumer thinking along those thought patterns you are describing "mm, gee I'm don't like these bouquets because so and so also has them".

To which sir, I would have to say a resounding "Bah-loney".

So IMO - the point really IS whether the images are nice or not, and they are.

You're a unique animal, Mr RC, and your product mix is but only one part of your broad appeal, and my own guess, is not the primary one, as value has (as far as I can figure) been your #1 primary focus.

JB -

As much as you'd like to ascribe uniqueness to 'ego', wise marketers call it a 'unique selling position' or providing a 'unique user experience' or just 'being special'.

We've had at least 15 shops - close around us in the last 6 months. Nearly every one was running a WS template website with designs from the 'finest designers in the country'. Doesn't sound like it helped all that much...
:(

They sure aren't going to save someone going under for a zillion other reasons.

Neither are "unique designs" with limited appeal. Make that "more so" (or "less so").

Are you saying broad appeal isn't a healthy thing for flower shops?????

The "unique user experience" or "being special" in my world is how we treat them - which includes offering products with broad appeal that we don't even particularly think that much of, artistically (Happy Face Mug)

What I love about having this discussion with you Cathy, is, that you used to do those selection guide photos!

Did you think you were doing crappy stuff back then? (I sure don't)

Or do you think it got crappy because of the way it was used? (again I don't)

And could some of you naysayers please tell 800TFTD that people don't want to buy their cookie cutters, cuz they look like they're really struggling with it.

:rofl:

ahhh bloomz luvs a good debate

and you know, every year I look back at last year and see how full of shiit I was last year..... story of my life.

Is it just me?

Yet on this one I get more convinced as time goes on that being the "unique and different" shop was just something we wanted to be, but the public cared less, cuz as we abandoned that proposition, our appeal and business grew. And the unique and different is a state of mind, and how we treat our customer is our #1 primary focus.

well......

opinions vary

blessings, and I am off to see a movie!

Carry on

JB - WHO buys the MOST cookie cutters from you?

1)Your Local Customers?
2) Sold via incoming order

Also, What venue sells more "cookie cutters" in your store?
1) A telephone customer
2) a Walk-in customer
3) An intenet shopper

You champion those "proven sellers" - so......in an average day's time, How many of those "Proven sellers" actually go out your door?

We want hard numbers.

Local customer, internet customers, walkin customers that like selection guides, telephone customers looking at the web site.

All our local internet orders are PBS's - that's all we offer.

I got better things to do than reinent the wheel, like start discussions like this up in here.

well.....we've copied the TF cubes and bubble bowls and put them in the coolers for all the holidays. Everything else in the cooler sells before the cubes or bubble bowls do. If we refresh the cooler with what has sold, those cubes & bowls sit there til the end of the day. Hmmmm......our consumers apparently want a basket that is free flowing, has a much better value perception (bigger is better and more expensive) or a gardeny style vase (that may have same value of flowers just designed "larger")
And because we don't get (nor probably would accept) TF Headquarters orders, we don't get orders for the "web specials"...interesting, huh? Cause those would be internet orderers who've seen the cloned cubes and bubble bowls or not

Reactions: inferno63
I do have to say that one of the designs TF has come up with (from who knows where?) are the cubes done up like a package with the paper and wrap. I've sold a few of those, over the phone, wire ins and walk ins. Have to admit it's a cute idea that's a bit different and not as tacky as the smiley mug. We pick and choose what we are going to put on our website that are TF mug shots, those will identify our style and image untill we can get more pictures under our belt. I have yet to receive any orders for the new TF designs in the satin containers, well.... maybe one. What frosts my nanny is that they design it as one sided but it says all around on their website, that's deceptive advertising in my book.

I have to agree about Starbucks, but it wasn't the experience I went for, it was the GOOD coffee, not so much anymore. Price is less of a consideration than the quality of the flavor, actually you probably pay more now for less flavor. I rarely go to Starbucks their coffee is just not good, I stick to the local places that still care about the quality, which makes it UNIQUE from the cookie cutter Starbucks.

Trish

Reactions: Twila and Chezbloom
We are coded for TF's Satin Collection and several of the colored cubes. As a result, I have more codified arrangements listed on my TF shop listing than I can possibly remember! I had to print copies of each one so that I didn't have to get online and look it up or dig out my TF Web catalogs everytime an order for one came in. Cubes are by far the best seller for me, probably because of the price point. I have not sold any Satin containers yet, but they look pretty sitting on my shelf!! The arrangents are very nice, but the price scares most of my customers away. lol We just recently added FTD as we will soon be the only shop in town with that WS. We took the promo rate until the end of August, so if it doesn't pan out we'll dump it.

Can't quite call all of them Proven Best Sellers - yet, cuz they're too new

But they have really stepped up to the plate with vibrant, new, appealing, cutting edge designs with most excellent images of them.

Every month now newer and more of them.

Yes some of them would be hard to fill (don't offer them) but the majority of them have great consumer appeal.

Credit given where credit is due, and they are doing a great job of keeping on top of new stuff.

I can tell you first hand - put them on your web site and they do sell.

------------------------------------
On a different but related note: for the first time in my experience - FTD's codified outsold the pantz off of TF's this last holiday.
---------------------------------------

But I love these new Cookies - Yum. Cookies spell dollars to me.

51J1FMHC9VL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I'm pleased TF seems to be trying to refresh brand image... But with that said, I still can't find what TF is promoting here. I'm confused, the two are so simular. I hope it's as good as the "Tickler", , or was that FTD? god do they still sell those? And the Smily Face? Wasn't that hot in 1977! Didn't Forrest Gump create that concept? Maybe id TF promoted Smily Face mugs with Bubba Gump shrimp now that would be hot, right? Maybe I'll change my image- "Teleflora by Dragonfly Event. I just will keep my fingers cross that they don't bankrupt tomorrow.

The whole concept is a oxymoron. I think you know what sells. But Bloomz, if it is selling, go for it!

Status
Not open for further replies.