Rhonda

Nov 1, 2002
Millinocket
www.millinocketflorist.com
State / Prov
Maine
Blooms Today offering $4.99 items with free shipping "a savings of $15.99"

Did you try it?

It is another "con"...The product are $4.99 IF you sign-up for a MONTHLY $9.99 billing with a promise of future saving of $25, as well as saving $25 now, if you purchase once more in the future. Meanwhile, keep paying $9.99.... .

If you don't sign up, it is $31.50 - shipping remains "FREE" -their words, not mine- and there is a service charge, naturally.

Sounds like a difficult way to do business to me.
Its one thing to get the occasional complaint but this style of marketing almost ensures a very high level of frustration, I went into the order process 2 pages deep and was not notified of the "plan". Speaking strictly from the view point of a consumer (I am one in my spare time), not a flower guy I would be a very unhappy camper if I had taken the time to partially complete the order form only to have the "bad news" given to me at the end.

Not a marketing tactic I would suggest, but it's a free market and ultimately the consumer will determine if they will support this tactic or not. Unfortunately in the meantime it will certainly leave a bad taste in the mouths of many flower buyers.

Reactions: theRKF
I went into the order process 2 pages deep and was not notified of the "plan". Speaking strictly from the view point of a consumer (I am one in my spare time), not a flower guy I would be a very unhappy camper if I had taken the time to partially complete the order form only to have the "bad news" given to me at the end.
Doug, how far is page 2? Did you enter your info? Be interesting to see if you begin to get marketed, if their set up to "capture" on entery.

This same type of scheme created huge backlash a couple years ago for FTD I think it was...

I can't understand why companies do this to themselves unless they are really desperate for some quick cash. This certainly is NOT a way to create a sustainable business, Bloomstoady must think there is still an endless supply of new customers out there and they are DEAD WRONG.

This company needs to go away and perhaps this will finally do it.

I know more and more lawmakers are looking at post-transactional "purchases" with a gimlet eye as an ever growing number of consumers complain and say they were scammed. It's going to come down to where it simply becomes against the law because people are not reading through before clicking the big huge SAVE MONEY buttons offered up to them. So far these companies have escaped being sued or worse because they can rightly claim that they can't be responsible for consumers not reading the fine print. Big brother will probably have to swoop in and rescue them from this too.

I have not looked at the actual site yet, but if what Doug says is true and there is nothing about the monthly membership, then it either does not exist or this company has sunk even lower in my esteem. (That's pretty low, btw) When I was a member of Bloomnet, this is the one company I learned to absolutely loathe.

Linda,

Doug did not go through almost to the bitter end. The switch is there on the page prior to pressing payment icon (or on, as I cannot now remember specifically).

I do not think it is desperation...people will buy without, as you note, reading the details (of the $9.99 monthly fee) thinking it is too good to be true -which, as it usually is, it is!

Linda,

Doug did not go through almost to the bitter end. The switch is there on the page prior to pressing payment icon (or on, as I cannot now remember specifically).

I do not think it is desperation...people will buy without, as you note, reading the details (of the $9.99 monthly fee) thinking it is too good to be true -which, as it usually is, it is!

Yes, they WILL buy without reading the fine details. Later, when they "catch on" to the monthly fee, they will get ticked off at the company. That's what makes me wonder why companies do this in the first place, and the only thing I can think of is that they need some fast cash today and tomorrow will take care of itself.

I DID go in and yes, the page comes up before you put in your payment details. I thought it was pretty clear, people should notice since there are two options to click on "No Thanks" or "Agree and Proceed". They also have a disclaimer that you can cancel membership any time AFTER 21 days ~ I suppose that is to keep people from getting the savings benefit without having to pay the second month membership.

I am afraid I only had a cursory look at the site. The bottom line is I did not feel it needed a lot of investigation as NOBODY can sell flowers for $4.99 on-line

I did go further into the membership agreement. It actually SOUNDS like a pretty good deal as long as you (the consumer) plan on purchasing flowers every month of the year. Every month they get charged $9.99 but also every month they *get* $25 off of their purchase. What that boils down to is that they only pay a buck for service/delivery instead of $15.99. Of course, the consumer thinks they are saving $15 ~ PLUS ~ they will then feel like they need to get their savings every month or forfeit the ten bucks. Nefarious.

I did go further into the membership agreement. It actually SOUNDS like a pretty good deal as long as you (the consumer) plan on purchasing flowers every month of the year. Every month they get charged $9.99 but also every month they *get* $25 off of their purchase. What that boils down to is that they only pay a buck for service/delivery instead of $15.99. Of course, the consumer thinks they are saving $15 ~ PLUS ~ they will then feel like they need to get their savings every month or forfeit the ten bucks. Nefarious.

Sounds much like the way Colombia House used to sell music

Reactions: anytimeflowers