twiggy

Jun 5, 2006
Yerington
www.yeringtonflowers.com
State / Prov
NV
I found this site today..
http://www.tabletopstudio.com/documents/bouquet_photography.htm#tools

all about taking professional pics of flowers.. some good tips, while using thier product EZ cube.. has anyone heard of it?? the results look very good.. and i bet a person could improvise and come up with a similar effect..also tips on positioning the product, outdoor light, ect..
twiggy

We use an EZcube, three lights from Home Depot and a digital camera. Photos go through Photoshop for finishing touches. Very happy with the results!

Ryan

Infinite said:
We use an EZcube, three lights from Home Depot and a digital camera. Photos go through Photoshop for finishing touches. Very happy with the results!

Ryan
What size? I bought one and I think it's the 36 incher..it's at the shop and I'm not but I am not as happy with it as I thought I'd be...I think it is too small maybe...
Sher

Go big or go home :)

I use the 48" cube and sometimes wish for larger.

Ryan

Ryan,
You mentioned the lights from Home Depot; did you manage to find the spots or even the flourescent spots with the 5000 degrees kelvin temperature?
Thanks

Photoshop question

Is it possible to take a photo in any background or light and using photoshop or another software make the photo look professional?
Thanks,
Jim

Bob, the quick answer to your question is "absolutely not". PS only helps you refine an image and fix some minor focus and color issues. It will not help with lighting issues, the number one problem for us "amateur" photographers. For that you need a setup that has good indirect lighting as described in the above links.

Photoshop software

My photos of the actual arrangement turn out fine, with the exception of the occasional shadow that I want to make disappear. With large sympathy arrangements that cannot fit in a background, I wish there was a way to just be able to cut out the arrangement and paste it on a plain background.

Well, that's really easy in PS. Just use the "Magnetic Lasso" tool to "select" the arrangement by outlining it, then do a "Select | Reverse" command to flip the selection around. Or, if you have PS 6 or higher use the "Extract" tool from the filters menu. Do a google for Extract Photoshop and you will find step-by-step procedures.

Now, you can drag and drop just the selected image (your arrangement) to any background you have.

Photoshop software

Thanks Mark,
I think that is what i am looking for.
Much appreciated!

Rock said:
Ryan,
You mentioned the lights from Home Depot; did you manage to find the spots or even the flourescent spots with the 5000 degrees kelvin temperature?
Thanks

Use the 4100K for backdrop and highlight lighting, AS WELL AS for photoshooting...it's readily available, and more cost efficient than the 5100 range

12BucksFor2Dozon said:
Well, that's really easy in PS. Just use the "Magnetic Lasso" tool to "select" the arrangement by outlining it, then do a "Select | Reverse" command to flip the selection around. Or, if you have PS 6 or higher use the "Extract" tool from the filters menu. Do a google for Extract Photoshop and you will find step-by-step procedures.

Now, you can drag and drop just the selected image (your arrangement) to any background you have.

That's pretty spiffy..since Sandie just "loves" to cut pics out with scissors, and paste them on backrounds, and I CANNOT get an "upgrade" for her!!

Mark..agree its a reasonably simple process to mask the flowers and drop onto a plain background, but somehow i've never been able to make it look 'natural'. I've been using Corel Photo paint which has all the features but they always look like 'cut and paste'. I've literally got thousands of images, all taken in a hurry, without any thought to background or lighting. The time involved in sorting out all these images is mind boggling. If i could turn the clock back i would definitely get the background/lighting right before taking the pics.
When i looked at the price of the EZ cube, i thought it was a bit expensive for what it was. You should be able to improvise for a lot less money.

Thanks Mikey.
Do you know if Ryan was able to find these lights especially in fluorescent flood lights?
Hope all is well. Rock on Buddy.......

Fly2hi said:
When i looked at the price of the EZ cube, i thought it was a bit expensive for what it was. You should be able to improvise for a lot less money.

That's for sure...I built mine from 12 48x1/2" PVC pieces. 8 "corner" PVC connectors, and 1$/yard white fabric from wally world. Think it cost about $10 or so. Its down right now with our remodel or else I would snap a camera pic of it.

That's for sure...I built mine from 12 48x1/2" PVC pieces. 8 "corner" PVC connectors, and 1$/yard white fabric from wally world. Think it cost about $10 or so. Its down right now with our remodel or else I would snap a camera pic of it.

If you will always be photographing in the same spot, then the PVC route works great and is the way to go. EZCube is expensive, but it folds up and transports easily. Spend the money IF you plan to photograph in various locations. Most people don't. Spend the money IF you want a cube that can be stored out of the way between uses. The PVC is difficult that way.

One other reason we sprung for EZCube is because of where we keep it in our shop...

If the cube has to be re-assembled and then taken apart to store every time, you just won't use it. If it's set-up in an out-of-the way basement or store room, you'll be less likely to use it.

However, we leave ours right in the retail part of the shop as a display with a great arrangement always inside. It draws eyes immediately and customers think that whatever is inside is the most special arrangement in the shop. The flowers inside just POP. Naturally, that's the one they want to buy. Plus, since it's so handy, we take pictures of arrangements all the time. If it's going to be seen by others, the EZCube looks professional and finished. It's more presentable than a homemade PVC cube. But indeed, much more expensive.

Decide accordingly.

ezcube

I am considering buying the 50 x 50 ezube for shop, we too have small shop and would need something that can be broken down easily,so pvc wont work for us either , my question is the ezcube and lights worth the investment?
Also, is it possible to get great shots and not have to touch up in photoshop? I'm hoping that is possible, I have never used photoshop, is it hard to learn how to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.