Topiary Mechanic help

rewolf

Pro Member
Jul 4, 2007
chatham
www.wildbunchstudio.com
State / Prov
MA
I need to create a few boxwood topiaries in christmas tree shapes.

The tree itself would be about 2' tall and I want its stem to extend above the cement pot about 7". I know I need to create a sturdy platform for the tree's foam on top of the stem but with what and how.

I know you are all boxwood veterans and your help is greatly appreciated.

I used to make huge round topiary for a customer and I would use checken wire around the oasis to make it strong before adding the boxwood. If I were you I would put a 2 inch diameter wooden dowel in your pot or liner, secured well or even in a plaster/concrete type thing. Then you use that as the stem and put the tree on top. So the dowel will be longer than 7" and the oasis would slide down as far as you want and be stopped by criss crossing two small dowels which are inserted in holes drilled into the fat pole. Does that make any sense at all? Hard to explain. Anyway that's how I do it but maybe someone else has a good idea.

I would use a clear Lomey pedestal with a SS design tray glued to it...

Reactions: rewolf
Do they have to be done in wet foam? If not, then I use styrofoam cones from a hobby store, and add the boxwood to it. The stems are plenty tough enough to pick into the styrofoam. I tend to use a smaller cone, and have longer branches coming from the cone, so if you need a 2ft. tree, then I would use a 1 ft cone - but whatever you are comfortable with would work fine. A good sturdy wooden dowel would work nicely for the trunk. If you make the trees in dry styrofoam, you need to add the boxwood very thickly because it will shrink somewhat as it drys, and there may be place in the tree that need to be refilled. It dries green. I've used plaster to hold the dowel in a large mache container that fit into our large urns that we rent out.

Reactions: rewolf
does your wholesaler carry the new topiary forms from Oasis?