Status
Not open for further replies.

dhamil6490

Dec 2, 2008
Columbus
www.blumengartenflowers.com
State / Prov
OH
Now, while the economy is in a state of turmoil, may be the best time to let the WS know how displeased we are with their policies. I don't recommend that every florist should copy my actions, but if you find yourself in a similar position, you may want to consider it. Here's my situation:

We've just notified FTD that we're dropping them at the end of April. My local rep contacted me within 2 hours of my email saying she wanted to see if she could do something to change my mind. We had a meeting and she said FTD was in the process of changing their business model and that good things were on the way. I told her FTD was just too expensive to do business with. She offered to reduce or drop some fees for a "promotional period" as an enticement. When I asked her how long these fee reductions would last, she said about 6 months. I told her no, figuring after the promotion period ends things would return to normal. When I asked how long before the new refoms would be in place, she didn't know but estimated it would be about 6 months to a year. Instead, I told her I had a list of demands. If FTD would meet these demands, I would stay. Here is my list:
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1. Membership - 250.00 per year
2. 80/20 split on all inbound and outbound orders
3. No Marketing/Clearinghouse fee
4. No QA/FTD University, Low Sending or Reciprocity fees
5. No Technology or Merc incoming transmission fees
6. Very low or no outgoing Transmission fees
7. No S or E additional directory listings
8. One listing for the shop in Columbus
9. No monthly directory subscription fee
10. No Floral Sel GD Monthly fee - whatever that is.
11. No Co-op advertising - EVER.
12. No combined report on disk
13. No SAF dues
14. Weekly or bi-weekly payment for orders filled
15. No paper directory
16. No reported order fee
17. All changes are permanent and are to take effect on May 1.[/FONT]

Needless to say, my rep and her boss said it couldn't be done. No surprise there. But what it a lot of FTD members made similar demands. What if FTD saw their florist base leaving? Who would fill their orders? Those of us who are strong enough to hang on during this tough economic time actually have the upper hand here.

My guess is FTD will be back sometime before April with a compromise list. I'll keep you posted.

"TRUST, but VERIFY!"

Many of us (former members) were given false promises, only to reach the conclusion that, THEY (FTDI) lied to us.

Started with little dick perry, consummated by small bob norton, followed by the even smaller, mike soenen.

Given the fact that, the WS's are all hemorrhaging now, be forewarned that, unless you have those agreements WRITTEN IN STONE, AND IN WRITING, it could be more of the same gobbledygook that WE FTDA FAMILY MEMBERS were snookered with, when we agreed to SELL FTDA, on the promise that, little dick would take all of us to THE PROMISED LAND via FTDI.

you are on the right track, and many of your requests can be accomplished.

the only way you can get this, is if you walk away from FTD and actually do just that. Cancel FTD, if you want to go back, you can and at lower fees. They won't believe you until you actually let them know you are serious.

Also, watch those monthly reports, FTD automatically re-instates higher fees without notification. A quick phone call to your FSR fixes that problem, if FSR doesn't fix, shoot him and membership a Merc note with your intentions of dropping. That gets their attention.

To bad we have to play these games, but that is how they choose to play.

joe

she said FTD was in the process of changing their business model and that good things were on the way.

When I asked how long before the new refoms would be in place, she didn't know but estimated it would be about 6 months to a year.
Dang... are they still using that story? I have been hearing that since the days of Bad Bobby, and yes, while things have changed, they have NEVER ONCE changed FOR the BETTER.....FOR the FLORISTS!

The reason she can't tell you is because she does not know. True story There is NO CHANGE coming!

. True story There is NO CHANGE coming!

One thing that is constant in life is change.

In the case of gorillas like this - usually it changes for the worse

Another way of puting that - they will be doing a beter job.

for themselves.

The WS are hurting and rightfully so.
I know Teleflora is hurting.
No budget for any kind for association advertising.
At least, not for Colorado. They have always joined our association and placed a sizey ad in our directory. Not this year.
No FTD so far, either. We'll see.

I think that it's ironic, after spending millions on Super Bowl advertising,
Mother's Day Sweepstakes TV shows, no $310.00 left to support the shops that buy their products and fulfill their orders.....

An FTD rep came into the shop befor VD and wanted to sign me up. He had visited with me before and had felt the rath of my anti ws agenda very similar to the origional poster's (dhamil) demands.
He shamefully confessed that yes members are dropping like flys and the book is about half its size.
Tear.
I politely showed him the door and explained that until FTD or any ws became a profitable business addition to my business that he needn't return.

What do you all think of Floral source? I know they are trying, but I hold them to the same model as the other guys. If they don't bring in the dough, then I can't use them.

I like the way dhamil thinks working as a group. Keep us updated please.

Here is what I have taken to doing and for some reason it truely sems to SHOCK the Rep's.

As they are getting more bold and walking in (no Appt.)

I explain that I don't need to sign up with them and they don't need me. "You see all of you (TF, FTD, 1-800, etc) have accounts with each other so I already get your orders and you already have me on board"

I find it VERY interesting that after 2 years of not seeing a FTD rep,one comes waltzing through my door a week after I sent my cancellation notice in. HMMMM - I would say a little tooo late!

We have the ftd pos. We want desperatly to terminate this money grubbing company. But due to owing for the pos, does anyone know how to get out of this? We have been calling but no reply to our questions. What started all this was we reveived our statements and noticed odd fees and a hefty incline in fees the following month, this was supposed to be credited last month...it wasn't and not on this month either. The coward rep leaves a message on our machine yesterday after hours stating all credits have been issued we still wait to see if this is indeed true.
the 800 rep did the same thing!!
we do all the work and still owe and we buy the flowers to fill their orders and we still owe....
We are trying to keep the doors open since we don't have a bail out, we are barely hanging on and these wire services have got to go but it seems like we have been trapped with no way out.
any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Lets pretend FTD kills itself. Do the shops stuck with underpaid for POS systems get to keep them? I'm just wondering because it seems like they are headed for extinction. Hmmmm.

...well, that is one thing I will not have to worry about. I always avoided long term obligations from all the wires and western union. Any of you ever do the wu stuff? We still do but the business is way way off b/c they flooded the marketplace w/ agencies on every corner. WU tried to get us on one of their longterm lease programs. Never did it and I learned from that fiasco to avoid any longterm stuff from the wires b/c all it is is a cost pass thru to us for stuff they ought to be providing b/c we pay the wire service EVERY month anyway. Man I get HOT thinking about this crap! and how they have used the majority of us to further their decit and build their own business's off the back of REAL FLORISTS!

Thanks to TOTO and to the high-country dude I learned a while back to question EVERYTHING about their business practices.

Oldtown: For us, dumping FTD was and continues to be a weaning process. We had the old Advantage POS when we bought the shop about 2.5 years ago. We vowed it would be the first thing to go. We ended the Advantage contract last December and went with FAS - Floral Accounting Services. Beginning when we took over the shop, we went over our FTD invoice and began dropping some of the extra charges. We didn't drop too much too fast, because we wanted to see if not having the service (like extra cities listings) made a difference. We found that almost everything we dropped made no difference whatsoever, except that we owed FTD a little less each month. Finally we got to the point where we decided to drop them altogether. The reasoning we gave FTD was that we were not getting enough orders to cover the overhead of being a member. Our rep tried to persuade us to stay by offering some short-term cost reductions, like a lower membership fee for the next 6 months. We stood fast and said no. Our memership ends at the end of April, so I am working to make sure all of the credits I am due actually show up on my statement. My guess is they won't, so I'll have to go into extras innings with them. I don't think anyone can just decide to drop a WS and expect it to be a short-term project. You've signed a contract, so unless you are willing to deal with breaching the contract, you'll have to let things run their course. Breaching the contract sounds (and is) onerous, and I don't recommend it for everyone, but it can be done. Your current financial situation and your tolerance for lawyers should tell you what to do. The good news is you can start today to wean your shop away from the beast. Good Luck!

An FTD rep came into the shop befor VD and wanted to sign me up. He had visited with me before and had felt the rath of my anti ws agenda very similar to the origional poster's (dhamil) demands.
He shamefully confessed that yes members are dropping like flys and the book is about half its size.
Tear.
I politely showed him the door and explained that until FTD or any ws became a profitable business addition to my business that he needn't return.

What do you all think of Floral source? I know they are trying, but I hold them to the same model as the other guys. If they don't bring in the dough, then I can't use them.

So now the WS monster is feeding more and more off of dropships. Why do you think they are copying Proflowers poor business plan? They are doing it because they are finding it harder to find filler-friends. They are gradually working more drop ship into their plan to compensate for the ones dropping like flies.

Ftd came with the shop and actually being a navy town that was the majority of our orders the guys would send that way when out to sea. we used to get a nice income off 1800 but they sold out to the local chain store and now we lost all of that income. we have weeded everything to bare bones no extras on all the ws and now one by one we are reclaiming it the way it should be, we have just had the most trroubles with ftd, returning calls ect so that has made the decision alot easier it's just that contract thing we don't know how to go about tackling. Thanks for all the good information we are getting notes togeher. Thanks again!

Now, while the economy is in a state of turmoil, may be the best time to let the WS know how displeased we are with their policies. I don't recommend that every florist should copy my actions, but if you find yourself in a similar position, you may want to consider it. Here's my situation:

We've just notified FTD that we're dropping them at the end of April. My local rep contacted me within 2 hours of my email saying she wanted to see if she could do something to change my mind. We had a meeting and she said FTD was in the process of changing their business model and that good things were on the way. I told her FTD was just too expensive to do business with. She offered to reduce or drop some fees for a "promotional period" as an enticement. When I asked her how long these fee reductions would last, she said about 6 months. I told her no, figuring after the promotion period ends things would return to normal. When I asked how long before the new refoms would be in place, she didn't know but estimated it would be about 6 months to a year. Instead, I told her I had a list of demands. If FTD would meet these demands, I would stay. Here is my list:
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1. Membership - 250.00 per year[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2. 80/20 split on all inbound and outbound orders[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]3. No Marketing/Clearinghouse fee[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]4. No QA/FTD University, Low Sending or Reciprocity fees[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]5. No Technology or Merc incoming transmission fees[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]6. Very low or no outgoing Transmission fees[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]7. No S or E additional directory listings[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]8. One listing for the shop in Columbus[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]9. No monthly directory subscription fee[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]10. No Floral Sel GD Monthly fee - whatever that is.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]11. No Co-op advertising - EVER. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]12. No combined report on disk[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]13. No SAF dues[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]14. Weekly or bi-weekly payment for orders filled[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]15. No paper directory[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]16. No reported order fee[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]17. All changes are permanent and are to take effect on May 1.[/FONT]

Needless to say, my rep and her boss said it couldn't be done. No surprise there. But what it a lot of FTD members made similar demands. What if FTD saw their florist base leaving? Who would fill their orders? Those of us who are strong enough to hang on during this tough economic time actually have the upper hand here.

My guess is FTD will be back sometime before April with a compromise list. I'll keep you posted.

My guess is that you will be ftd free.......they would be nuts to meet those demands...im sure there are other shops in columbus that would fill their orders...good try though.

Many of us (former members) were given false promises, only to reach the conclusion that, THEY (FTDI) lied to us.

Started with little dick perry, consummated by small bob norton, followed by the even smaller, mike soenen.

Given the fact that, the WS's are all hemorrhaging now, be forewarned that, unless you have those agreements WRITTEN IN STONE, AND IN WRITING, it could be more of the same gobbledygook that WE FTDA FAMILY MEMBERS were snookered with, when we agreed to SELL FTDA, on the promise that, little dick would take all of us to THE PROMISED LAND via FTDI.

Just for the record.........I for one, never agreed to sell FTDA...just as i never voted for bush....Regardless, i have to suffer.

Reactions: 1 person
My guess is that you will be ftd free.......they would be nuts to meet those demands...im sure there are other shops in columbus that would fill their orders...good try though.

Not from Columbus but I am in Ohio and I know that fewer and fewer shops are listed in the Columbus area than in the past. I am WS FREE and so I don't get the famous book but I checked online and the county within which Columbus resides has over 150 flower shops and FTD lists 20 in that area online. That is only 14% of available membership to them. If they were doing those shops much good, they would have more of them under their umbrella, don't ya think?

I am happy to have others verify this and see if they come up with similar numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.