Status
Not open for further replies.

Theresa

Aug 30, 2006
Amanda
www.bloomingflowers.net
State / Prov
OH
I noticed an upside down corsage on an elderly lady at a wedding...Or...was she wearing it properly?

I have been thinking of including directions on how to pin on a corsage and care instructions with the flowers, so while looking for some good directions, found this:

I have been told that a corsage should be pinned on with the flower(s) pointing down. Others say the flowers should be pinned on with the stems pointing down. Which is correct? How about boutonnieres?
Many years ago, flowers were pinned on with the flowers pointed down. In the last 20 years or more, this has changed to pinning them with the stems pointed down. Same with the boutonnieres.

It probably depends on the age of the person doing the pinning. Over the age of 55, they probably think they should go one way and younger the other

Also.....

for as long as I've been in this business, etiquette says ONE thing, and contrarianism says something else....example.....which side of your chest DO YOU pin on a corsage, and or boutonniere??....and for what reason(s)??

Over the heart... because that's what I was taught as a kid. I guess the romantic notion is because it's close to the heart. Perhaps a practical reason, most people shake right hands... no obstruction on the lapel.

"The groom's boutonniere flower is usually selected from the flowers in the bride's bouquet. Have him pin it over his heart on his left lapel. The wearing of the boutonniere is a tradition originating in France. Bouton is French for button and they were originally worn in button holes of one's lapel"

It's also thought that the bout is worn on the left and the corsage on the left to eliminate crushing while dancing... I've never put a corage on the right.

Is the buttonhole on the tux only the left? I can't remember. If so then that would dictate where the bout is placed.

But, there's an ebb and flow to traditions with people wanting to add their own flavour to their event... if they want it upside down on their hip, then so be it.

V

Corsages

This is strickly my opinion. Because I service so many weddings and see the wear and tear after a night's wearing, I have some thoughts.

First, I make most of my corsages slightly arched so they will fit over the shoulder. Then I pin them up high on the shoulder for several reasons. One is that they make a person look beautiful from the front and from the back. It is so nice to see a hint of flowers from behind. Also, at weddings, etc, you see so much hugging going on and after a few of these.....the flowers are smashed. Being on the shoulder keeps them in place. Frankly, I think they just look prettier and much more stylish pinned high and curved over the shoulder.

When I design corsages, you can wear them any direction you want, because, there is no up or down to them. They are created to work however you want them to go. It really doesn't matter if you put them on the left or right. It matters how they look on the dress. Actually, even the waist or down the back are o.k. if that fits the looks of the dress. Don't get so hung up on what direction the flowers are pointing.....we are not in the dark ages any more. Be creative and just make them look like they belong. After all, we have changed our hair styles, our show styles, clothes, etc.

Carol Bice

The terminology "body flowers" is just that... from head to toe, that's your canvas.

Me, I hate wearing corsages. When I'm forced into it, they go on my handbag. It's just a thing with me.

V

Wearing corsages....

I instruct the wearer to wear the corsage with the stems down on the left side. I also have pre-printed cards (business card size) with instructions that I include with each corsage/boutonnierre as to how to wear, what side to pin on, etc. just in case i'm not there to pin them on myself. Makes for great wedding pics if everyone is wearing their corsages/boutonnieres on the same side.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought bouts go on the left side and corsages go on the right?

(Women are always right, that's how we remember!)

I like that..

I got this information some time ago from http://www.hort.vt.edu/faculty/McDaniel/hort2164/R9FlowerstoWear.htm

"The man's boutonniere is also specifically intended for wearing on the left lapel, while the woman's corsage may be adapted in design for wherever she wishes it to complement her costume.? This may be as the traditional shoulder corsage (worn usually on the left) or as a wrist corsage (usually the left arm but also on the right)..."

Corsages

I was just re-reading through this thread. I guess my opinion didn't count, because all the thoughts after my first post were just ignored.

Why are any of you still hung up on whether the stems go up or down or sideways? It doesn't matter where you pin it as long as it enhances the dress. If you are still thinking this way.....maybe, you need to take an updated course on style (clothes and floral).

We did used to have these ritual ways of doing things back in the early days of floristry.....but, we are creative people that need to be more progressive and quit worrying about unimportant things. There are many classes out there that don't teach old fashioned ways of making it happen.

I certainly have not seen anyone at the AIFD formal functions worry about which direction to wear their corsages or boutonnieres for years. And, for the most part, these designers keep up on current trends.

Carol Bice

Reactions: 1 person
for as long as I've been in this business, etiquette says ONE thing, and contrarianism says something else....example.....which side of your chest DO YOU pin on a corsage, and or boutonniere??....and for what reason(s)??

Which side do you dress on Mikey?

I lean left, of course! Way left.

Which side do you dress on Mikey?

I lean left, of course! Way left.

ROTFLMAO!!! Thank you for this much need laugh Jon.

Carol, of course you are right. A corsage can be worn any which way the wearer chooses. It's all about the choice isn't it. ;)

V

corsages

Bloomz, there are special corsage and bout classes for people like you. You are the exception to every rule.

You are too funny.
Carol Bice

awmygad.....you all make me giggle, laugh and quite often..snort !
well done...was a great giggle.....way left...I love it!
thanks for the teehee...
jeannie

Carol's comment was right on......If any of you have the opportunity to attend AIFD National Symposium - All the formal functions feature some unique body flowers, but at the Final Night President's Ball - The array of creativity shown - As Holly Money-Collins AIFD said it best during St. Louis National symposium where we saw a designer with flowers sewed around the hem of her gown......."Corsage Wars have begun". If you want to see body flowers taken to the max....attend a national symposium. As to how corsages and Boutonnierres should or should not be worn..... It truly depends on the designer and the person for whom the body flowers was made for as to how it should be worn. When I did my AES testing in St. Louis, one of the designs we had to make for membership evaluation was a body flower for the hair. We were instructed by the commitee chair to include any notes, or instructions as to how the body flowers was intended to be worn.

liajbridal

I instruct the wearer to wear the corsage with the stems down on the left side. I also have pre-printed cards (business card size) with instructions that I include with each corsage/boutonnierre as to how to wear, what side to pin on, etc. just in case i'm not there to pin them on myself. Makes for great wedding pics if everyone is wearing their corsages/boutonnieres on the same side.

Would you be willing to share your printed instructions with us???? Customers have asked us for such directions and I'm at a loss as of what to tell them in just a few words....

Upside down corsages

Do you folk not use corsage magnets?:) for the ladies and the plastic transparent corsage pins for the gents?:ukflag:

Bloomz, there are special corsage and bout classes for people like you. You are the exception to every rule.

You are too funny.
Carol Bice

Ahhh - "personal body adornment" - very personal.

No bout pins please.

Magnets are the bomb! Unless of course the wearer is sporting a pacemaker I recommended magnets all the time. The big selling point was it would not damage the expensive gowns etc.

V

Status
Not open for further replies.