Status
Not open for further replies.

Luc

Nov 1, 2002
Elliot Lake
www.a1florists.com
State / Prov
Ontario
I had the pleasure of visiting a few florists in the USA, especially in Augusta Georgia, and what I found funny is that all of those florist , kept their cooler int he back room and you where not allowed to go see the flower selection or even pick what you wanted. They had a cooler up from similar to a pop cooler double doors that had arr in them. Here in my store I have one cooler that has a big window for people to look at arrs or even flowers. If we have to we also bring them in the fridge fro them to make their selection. So is most florist in the USA like not letting customer intheir fridge and keeping their flowers in the back?
Just wondering...
trying to understand this whacky world we are in.
Luc

Some may...

Here my display cooler is 20 feet wide (18' of glass) and 11 feet deep...

No I don;t let consumers in there, damage control and insurance reasons...

Customers are allowed to walk into ours, there is a full length door on the left of the column in the picture, and four reach in doors, with buckets all along the back wall of single stems (you can't see these from picture)

We have a two door slide cooler where our finished designs are kept. We also put flowers on the floor on occasion and outside when weather permits (of course we prefer cool days as the sun cooks the front of our shop in the p.m even in winter) and no one is allowed behind the counter or in the back room due to insurance regulations.

Our cooler looks pretty much like bloomz, except it is not black,(stainless steel)has 8 or 9 doors down the front and a side door we enter from workroom. And is twice as deep as bloomz cooler appears. Customers are welcome to help themselves if they would like. Never had a problem with a fall, very,very little problem with damage to product. Knifes wife

Speaking of walk-in Coolers

Unless your company is a LLC or INC. your chance to have your customers walk in your cooler is a liability regardless.

If your not covered to have Extra Insurance so your customers can Browse/Walkin your cooler than your asking for trouble. Slip and Fall will cost your business and you. Why do you think those Exempt signs are posted within your Car Repair Center or Dealerships Garage..and other related business that the customer want's to see?

I would like to know if your allowing your customers to roam your walkin coolers and just what the extra liability cost in your insurance policy is for the chance of "slip and fall" with letting them Touch and Feel?

Knife I meant this as a general question and was not asking in specfic to your operation but thanks for responding. I just was asking so if any shop who is not covered or was not aware about the liability in an "open cooler policy".

Interesting topic..

I don't see why a slip in our cooler would be any different than a slip anywhere else in our shop. Is it?

But we got insurance fer shure, and I have nothing special added for in cooler.

No extra coverage here also

I can't see the difference of people slipping and falling in front of my store or in my fridge. Who washes floors in their store here? DO you always have Wet Floor Sign on? When there is a spill, we clean it up right away. I see that if some customers wants to go into my fridge, I will let them go with a staff member. THe staff picks the flowers to the customer satisfaction. I see it as a added bonus and customer service. My insurance company would ask me if I want extra coverage to cover customer liability if they walk in the cooler. FOr them it would mean more money. From the 9 years in business no accidents has ever happened.
Luc

Luc said:
I had the pleasure of visiting a few florists in the USA, especially in Augusta Georgia, and what I found funny is that all of those florist , kept their cooler int he back room and you where not allowed to go see the flower selection or even pick what you wanted. They had a cooler up from similar to a pop cooler double doors that had arr in them. Here in my store I have one cooler that has a big window for people to look at arrs or even flowers. If we have to we also bring them in the fridge fro them to make their selection. So is most florist in the USA like not letting customer intheir fridge and keeping their flowers in the back?
Just wondering...
trying to understand this whacky world we are in.
Luc
We have a 6 glass-door cooler. Behind 4 of them are arrangements. I try to keep some of everything that is in the back, in the 2 door side.

TIm--North Port Floral

We have a four door display cooler facing the retail floor with a side walk-in door from the design side. We do not allow anyone in the walk-in side.

Judy

Status
Not open for further replies.