Article Valentine's day} retail price of dzn. Roses

Dec 15, 2010
WRENS
State / Prov
GA
If I use my usual mark-up for Valentine's Dozen, it comes to $84.00!
I figure I could market $79.99 and design more smaller arrangements.
What is everyone else pricing their Dozen Red Roses for V-Day?

four tier pricing here...

50 cm charlottes for the budget concious 65.00
70 cm forever young at 75.00
70 cm forever young upgraded greens(seeded, ruscus) and filler(wax and genestra) at 95.00
70 cm forever young upgraded greens(ti leaves, curley, safari sunset), filler(hypericum, trichelium) upgraded vase, box of chocolates and an entry to win a 80.00 36" doug and melissa bear....all for 125.00(go big or go home)

Cash an carry roses: $24.95 doz. (mixed w/some red)

Roses Arranged packages:
50cm Forever Old #4206 vase with red heart accents and red ting ting: $59.95 (100 available)

50cm/60cm mixed upgraded to a large ruby red gathering vase with all the above plus Choc. lips or heart: $79.95 (100)

60cm Sexy reds - In nice vase (TBD) with all the trimming, 1/2 lb of choc: $99.95 (75)

60cm Sexy reds - In nice vase (tbd) with all the above plus a singer (guitar player who shows up and sings 2 lines from a country song) makes 1/2 the girls cry and the other half "@issed off"......(no guitar player found yet this year) - (24)

We sell in packages and when the one level sells out (usually the cheaper) then we push to next level.

My dozens are £45 and will stay that way but i do not do a push on roses at all, they are more laborious to condition and it takes longer to do a dozen than it does a ht.

Goodie, have you had prices given to you yet? I have had emails for 85p a rose and they are not a variety I know.

Not yet Paula......but i will be shopping around this year to get the BEST price and BEST quality i can. I do hate Valentines from the supply aspect. Its always a worry that Roses wont be frozen stored....and suppliers get greedy ??

My roses are usually $100 - 12 x 60cm, foliage, limonium, glass vase, cello, bow - for Valentines Day they will be $110. My every day price seems to be about average for Australia - although just checking on the internet prices vary widely.

One of my suppliers puts up the price 10% the other 30% (!!!). Unfortunately the cheaper of the two can't (won't?) supply me with enough, in any case I like to have 2 different sources in case there is a quality issue. Last year I put my price 20% which was a mistake - I was left with a lot of unsold stock.

As I was explaining to my business partner today theres so much competition for gifts - $120 for roses plus delivery plus teddy plus balloon - the bloke could go to one of the 6 jewellery stores in the mall and get her a gold bracelet for the same price.

We don't typically sell "a dozen roses" in a glass vase. Our clients usually want something that is just a little bit more creative and out of the box than what they can get from any cookie cutter wire service shop.

I am NOT slamming wire service shops, but when you take your store and sink down to the 1-800-FLOWERS level of thinking, you BECOME a part of that. Even the clients who find us on their iPhone and actually drive to my location will order something that allows for a bit more creative look.

I am finding out more and more that they are BORED with what everyone else is doing and selling, and by bringing in a completely different line of cut flowers and styles of arrangements, you can create something the recepient will look at again and again, and keep discovering something they had not noticed the day before. Because we try to get only the freshest, and also the majority of our flowers are California grown (YEA CALIFORNIA GROWERS!!!!) they are in very beginning bud stages. The arrangement keeps getting bigger, fuller and more interesting as the days go by. If our flowers don't last a good 10 days or more in the clients home? We send our wholesaler a message telling them they need to pay attention to: (fill in the blank) supplier because we had a complaint the flowers were just not good enough. Our wholesalers now know we don't care how much the flowers cost wholesale, as long as they are fresh and they LAST. Because this floral studio is located in the southern california desert, I use many different foliages, colorful and interesting, pods, the new GREEN TRICK DIANTHUS and of course, unique containers using lots of natural looking stones. Incorporating succulents and such into the design makes the whole thing pop. Remember, we are professionals who are supposed to know our craft. Our client cannot know all we know about design, and they depend on us to bring different to the table. Only when you exceed their expectations will you get a solid grab on a new customer.

So, take a look at the other shops and what they are selling for valentines day. Take a look at COSTCO or SAMS CLUB and see what they are selling for valentines day. When you have a client on the phone, all you need to do is let them know alternatives to roses. Valentines Day is a big day for flowers, lets show them FLOWERS. And yes, if someone actually does want roses for the day, I usually create a pave in a unique container and then throw in a hot color they might not be expecting. I know its going to make the receiving client squeel with delight, and the sender will be properly THANKED. Remember, the number one motivation for someone sending flowers is: TO BE THANKED! Give them something to be thankful for!

Everyone, have a terrific YEAR of flowers, and DUMP THE WIRE SERVICES!!!!

Reactions: concord
We will be doing 50 to 60 cm freedoms.

$79.99. Wrapped roses we will take $5 off.

Unlike other Vdays you have days leading up to the actually day when customers will order.

Since its on Monday we will be lucky to see any one calling on Sunday. Its going to be crazy busy Monday Morning so no specials for same day delivery!!

Still working on some ideas but so far just red roses and one tulip arrangement. Thats it!!!
http://www.everydayflowers.net/ValentinesDayFlowers.html

We don't typically sell "a dozen roses" in a glass vase. Our clients usually want something that is just a little bit more creative and out of the box than what they can get from any cookie cutter wire service shop.

I am NOT slamming wire service shops, but when you take your store and sink down to the 1-800-FLOWERS level of thinking, you BECOME a part of that. Even the clients who find us on their iPhone and actually drive to my location will order something that allows for a bit more creative look.

I am finding out more and more that they are BORED with what everyone else is doing and selling, and by bringing in a completely different line of cut flowers and styles of arrangements, you can create something the recepient will look at again and again, and keep discovering something they had not noticed the day before. Because we try to get only the freshest, and also the majority of our flowers are California grown (YEA CALIFORNIA GROWERS!!!!) they are in very beginning bud stages. The arrangement keeps getting bigger, fuller and more interesting as the days go by. If our flowers don't last a good 10 days or more in the clients home? We send our wholesaler a message telling them they need to pay attention to: (fill in the blank) supplier because we had a complaint the flowers were just not good enough. Our wholesalers now know we don't care how much the flowers cost wholesale, as long as they are fresh and they LAST. Because this floral studio is located in the southern california desert, I use many different foliages, colorful and interesting, pods, the new GREEN TRICK DIANTHUS and of course, unique containers using lots of natural looking stones. Incorporating succulents and such into the design makes the whole thing pop. Remember, we are professionals who are supposed to know our craft. Our client cannot know all we know about design, and they depend on us to bring different to the table. Only when you exceed their expectations will you get a solid grab on a new customer.

So, take a look at the other shops and what they are selling for valentines day. Take a look at COSTCO or SAMS CLUB and see what they are selling for valentines day. When you have a client on the phone, all you need to do is let them know alternatives to roses. Valentines Day is a big day for flowers, lets show them FLOWERS. And yes, if someone actually does want roses for the day, I usually create a pave in a unique container and then throw in a hot color they might not be expecting. I know its going to make the receiving client squeel with delight, and the sender will be properly THANKED. Remember, the number one motivation for someone sending flowers is: TO BE THANKED! Give them something to be thankful for!

Everyone, have a terrific YEAR of flowers, and DUMP THE WIRE SERVICES!!!!

the upside, is that you are right!! the downside, comes when you are staring at a lineup of people, all in a rush to get somewhere, and you've just hand tied your 40th "on demand" bouquet