Venture It ALL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mac

Jun 11, 2007
Angels Camp
State / Prov
Ca
I tried posting this earlier but I don't think it posted (so there may be two of these posts floating around)

I’ve been debating on whether or not to post something like this for quite some time. But I can no longer hold back due to Ryan’s recent negative reputation-vote he gave Bloomz on what I thought was a very informative thread that Bloomz himself started (the thread had a 5-star ranking no-less). While it is not my intent to offend here, this post is for sure intense because it is related to responsible reputation voting.

During my exchanges with Bloomz and others in the Validator thread, I received 4 positive green dots while Ryan gave Bloomz a negative red dot. What is significant about that reputation-vote is that it comes on the administrative level.

When you are the owner of a very popular & professional flower chat room and you cast a negative reputation-vote for a member who has been here for a long time and has earned over 185 positive reputation-votes, there must be something more here than what meets the eye. What that is…I do not know? What I do know is that Ryan is an authoritative figure and his vote carries significant weight in many peoples mind.

With that said….

I believe that there are two very different Ryan Freeman personalities simultaneously active on the internet.

The Ryan Freeman that I am most familiar with is here at flowerchat.com. This particular Ryan Freeman is often condescending toward me in the sense that he often makes feel like about 6-inches tall. Not only that, but I have also seen him consistently condescending toward other certain individuals who rival his knowledge or question his authority. The sense I get is that they too often feel about 6-inches tall around Ryan due to his authoritative administrative status here at flowerchat.com and his vast knowledge of SEO.

However, in stark contrast to the Ryan Freeman above, I also know a completely different Ryan Freeman who is kind, compassionate, understanding, humble, and full of love toward fellow man (for those religionist who may be reading this 1John 4:7-14 probably comes to mind).

This particular Ryan Freeman often posts on this http://ryanfreeman.ca/ personal devotional blog which I have been reading for quite some time now. While the contrast in personalities are such that they are unrecognizable, the Ryan Freeman that posts over there is the same Ryan Freeman that I would like to see post more here. The tone in which he expresses himself on that blog is of such that it does not invite argument but rather encourages thought. I venture to believe that…that is the true Ryan Freeman.

I know this post probably puts my membership here at high risk and may even increase tensions, but the one thing I’ve learned by the devotional Ryan Freeman is that there is a vulnerable Ryan who seeks to rid himself of “pride [that] is rooted in what I want people think of me” (via http://ryanfreeman.ca/christian-life/venture-it-all.php). I may be wrong, but the Ryan who gave a negative reputation-vote to Bloomz I believe felt threatened and acted out of haste.

Most of us here are here for the same reason: because we need each other to help further our industry.

While I make no claims to not have issues with pride, I am willing to amend any personality traits that make it difficult for Ryan to communicate with me. There is strength in numbers and it just may be so that others may want to get to know the Ryan Freeman who has Ventured it ALL.

To get to know the Ryan Freeman I'm talking about read his most recent blog entry http://ryanfreeman.ca/christian-life/venture-it-all.php

Reactions: 1 person
Well, I have to think about this for a moment.

OK, well, I don't know what all the issues are or anything but I do believe in your statement "Most of us here are here for the same reason: because we need each other to help further our industry. " That's why I joined and I am very thankful to Ryan for creating this site.

I also know that there a quite a few people who are stuck in same-old, same-old and if anyone here knows or has Gen-Xers of their own, that kind of thought just flies out the window and don't work anymore, in any kind of industry - NOT POINTING FINGERS, HECK I DON'T REMEMBER EVERYBODY'S NAMES YET.

I'm 46 (47 in January) - the Baby Boomer generation. We have HUGE challenges to face in the next 20-30 years and we are passing our challenges (reality) onto our children (unbeknownst to them!), who are not willing to do things the same-old, same-old way. What worked 20, 25, 30 years ago, just won't work in the next 20, 25, 30 years, not with our successors.

We should be working together, not against. We are neighbors - the Internet brought that idea home for us didn't it? Now, we just have to 'play nice' that's all.

Ryan, Mark. You guys are friends and colleagues. I can tell, at least, that much.

IMO: Admins shouldn't be able to post either positive or negative. They should monitor and send private warning messages or 'reputations' and then kick the person out if they're not complying with proper etiquette. There are other places on the Internet to go to....

So many "Marks" here!

Dorothy is referring to either Mark McFall (Mac) or Mark Smith (BOSS) but I do think I'm lucky enough to consider Ryan a personal friend.

We started out as competitors and there was (at least on my part) some wariness but over time I came to have tremendous affection and respect for him as a husband, father, tech, website & SEO guy, business person, etc. And although I'm not religious myself I admire his faith and commitment to it tremendously.

The guy does so much for this industry. He gave it FlowerChat. He gives valuable advice free of charge to almost anyone who asks for it. Last year when we did the Floral Summit he worked harder and gave more out-of-pocket than anyone else to make it happen. And at the event he gave three sessions - almost an entire day's worth - full of valuable content. This is a good guy.

If anyone ever gets frustrated with Ryan please remember that he is in - imho - an almost impossible position.

Can any of you imagine how much work this board actually is to him? He once told me that he is bombarded with mundane things like password retrieval requests when there are clear instructions for these common procedures. Every time there is even a modest change to something like the reputation system people are all over him. Anytime someone gets an anonymous red dot people assume that it is Ryan.

I can assure you that Ryan is not suffering from any kind of multiple personality disorder. He is a great guy who might sometimes disagree with you. He might say something you don't like. He might be in a bad mood. He's no different than anybody else in that regard. Compared to a lot of members his posts are civil and measured.

A few days ago Joan asked for feedback on her new Strider website. Joan - I think it looks fantastic and I'm sorry I didn't mention anything sooner. Somehow her post turned into an avalanche of slights (some subtle, some not) directed at Ryan. Everybody who had an axe to grind with him started to chime in.

Do the people taking these shots realize that they are screwing with a man's livelihood? For those of you that are florists - what if Ryan or anyone else rambled into your store and spent the day undermining you and criticizing your shop and your work to your current and potential customers. How gracious or cordial would you be?

If the Strider sites were no good then you would be doing the community a service by criticizing them but they are great - I know this from talking to the people that use them! Taking cheap shots is simply not productive.

Let's try and do something positive. I absolutely believe in my heart that next year Ryan should be inducted into the AAF which "recognizes industry members that meet the Academy's high standards of service to their industry and community". Let's show our appreciation for all that he does by working together to make that happen. Does anyone know how to get started?

P.S. Joan, Adam, Ricky, etc: You are in great hands with Ryan and Jim. The Strider websites are fantastic and will serve you well. Just last night I saw one of my closest friends and most valued associates at a Christmas party. I introduced him to Ryan last year and he has since used Ryan for numerous web projects from large ($10K+) to small. He has always been thrilled with the work and he was excited to tell me he hoped to be starting another project with Ryan in the near future.

Ryan, Mark. You guys are friends and colleagues. I can tell, at least, that much.

IMO: Admins shouldn't be able to post either positive or negative. They should monitor and send private warning messages or 'reputations' and then kick the person out if they're not complying with proper etiquette. There are other places on the Internet to go to....
Yes Ryan and I are friends, and have been for many years, that said we have only met face to face once in NYC for dinner a few years ago. Ryan is, and IMO always has been the "same Ryan" that I know and love. He's like a little brother to me, well younger anyway.

As far as Admins giving out rep marks, why? We have just as much right to agree or disagree with someone else's opinion as any member, and honestly I give out many more greens than reds and the reds are always either earned, or like in some cases (Jon) are a smart ass way to poke a friend.

I know Ryan has done this to Bloomz in the past, and so has Jon. I'm not sure how Mac knows that it happened again, but I assume that Bloomz told him. So be it. Without knowing the accompanying comment, the mention of a red mark leaves one wondering what all the fuss is about. Jon's a big boy and can take care of himself.

And Dorothy, if I went so far as to "kick out" every member here that either did not agree with my point of view, or disagreed with how I think things should be there would be many fewer members. Thats not the answer, over the years I have come to know the true nature of many, many members and always take into account their personalities when pondering their opinions. Heck, I'd have to kick Sfox to the curb :rofl: and that's not an option IMO.

Like Mac said, Ryan's personal blog elludes to his nature...it shows the guy I know and love, and I myself personally do not see a difference here. Ryan is generally the one calming the other Admins down and holding us accounntable.

While it is not my intent to offend here, this post is for sure intense because it is related to responsible reputation voting.
What about responsible posting and discussion?

During my exchanges with Bloomz and others in the Validator thread, I received 4 positive green dots
How many of those greens were *high fives* for your two swipes at Ryan (Coleman's coding and Vanity Fair's review)?

The last few days have felt like "open season" on a person with whom I have great respect. Some of the slams have been thinly (very thinly) veiled inuendos under the guise of "discussion". Other have been open, like your two posts in the Validator thread.

Mac, I ran a couple of your domains through the validator and came up with errors (and I alluded to it in the thread) - but frankly, "outing" anyone was counter productive over there, IMO. I *thought* the idea was to get folks to look and fix, not a chance to settle grudges.

Most of us here are here for the same reason: because we need each other to help further our industry.
Then let's act that way, speak that way and post that way.

Mark Anderson said it well:
Do the people taking these shots realize that they are screwing with a man's livelihood? For those of you that are florists - what if Ryan or anyone else rambled into your store and spent the day undermining you and criticizing your shop and your work to your current and potential customers. How gracious or cordial would you be?
I have met Ryan, and let me tell you there's only one. He's smart, giving and has turned the other cheek more times than I ever would.

Added: I also recommend the video in Glenn's thread to see that a real Validator can do. Seems we need much more of that kind....

Ok, i dont know much but if i set up a flowerchat room like Ryan has i would not let any competition in. I would want it all for myself. So, he is a bigger man than me (metophorically speaking). I have seen Ryan welcome a lot of web designers etc and also pay compliments to peoples websites when he has not done them. That will do for me! Just thought i would throw my two pence worth in.

Oh, and i think we all have a business side and a personal side dont we??

Reactions: 2 people
Ok, i dont know much but if i set up a flowerchat room like Ryan has i would not let any competition in. I would want it all for myself. So, he is a bigger man than me (metophorically speaking). I have seen Ryan welcome a lot of web designers etc and also pay compliments to peoples websites when he has not done them.

Exactly! I continue to be amazed by how gracious the guy is. He is a much better person than I will ever be.

You know as I read this all I can think of is what we call this, a community of florists. And like good neighbours we all look out for one another and occasionally disagree. But I think like a good neighbour in a community if I really had a beef with one of my neighbours I would not stand in the middle of the street and shout at him for all to hear, after all we should respect one another more than that. So agree or disagree with someones actions in this community, if you have a personal issue with one of our members, go quietly and "knock on his door"and deal with those issues face to face, or PM to PM. Just a thought, take it or leave it.

BTW I love this neighbourhood, but could someone please come and shovel my driveway????( sorry there should always be humour, it's the way I operate)

As far as Ryan goes, long before he was making web sites he was very willing to help me succeed in what I do....no charge at all. I am lucky to call him friend. Nuff said..

Reactions: 3 people
Although I've never met Ryan, I could thank him everyday for his efforts. This site, his free website review, his insights on many aspects of the floral business and his affordable E-commerce websites are just a few things that make me grateful. Ours is forthcoming. I have never had any sense of condescension(spelling) on his part. Now, it could be that I don't understand many of the technical discussions or the subtle undertones of the banter, but I really feel that his heart and efforts are above reproach.

I've said it before in another post that I wish I had found this site a couple of months before joining. I'm sure that we could could have avoided many mistakes. Perhaps the biggest was buying into a one year contract with AT&T for an advertising only website that costs us too much and doesn't provide enough control over the content. So, purely from my perspective, I feel that Ryan is someone that I can trust, learn from and now with the coming website, work with, to help us survive. Ryan, if you are ever in Asheville or my wife and I are ever in Toronto, dinner is on us.

Thanks, Mike

I am one of the biggest conspiracy theorists you will ever come into contact with...

That being said, I think the intent behind this thread is to get people into the faith of the other Ryan.
I don't think it has anything to do with Ryan "attacking" Bloomz.

I have not read the thread between Ryan and Bloomz, and if Ryan red-dotted Bloomz, it's probably one red dot for 100 greens he also probably gave him.

Bloomz, you know I love you and I always enjoy reading your threads, but to some people who may not be used to your posts, I can see how they could take it the wrong way. Don't worry, you're one of my favorite posters on here!

Ryan, you totally rock and I have the greatest respect for you. If you did tell Bloomzie off, sometimes he does deserve a little kick to the butt, just to keep him in line... (Love ya Bloomzie!)

I don't even know why this thread was started. But I suspect this chat room is being used to get people over to the Christian chat board. Whether or not this is a "cult", or legit religious affiliation, i don't know. I just hope people on here see that and don't get all hyped about Ryan-Bloomz "rivalry".... We have more important discussions to have about our industry.

That's my opinion....

That being said, I think the intent behind this thread is to get people into the faith of the other Ryan.

Nope. While I have been religionist in the past, I am no longer.

I won't comment too much more until Ryan posts.

I am one of the biggest conspiracy theorists you will ever come into contact with...

I don't think it has anything to do with Ryan "attacking" Bloomz.

I don't even know why this thread was started. But I suspect this chat room is being used to get people over to the Christian chat board. Whether or not this is a "cult", or legit religious affiliation, i don't know. I just hope people on here see that and don't get all hyped about Ryan-Bloomz "rivalry".... We have more important discussions to have about our industry.

That's my opinion....

I love a good conspiracy theory too but I don't believe that is what this is about. I think it's more about professional rivalry.

Also - I can assure you that Ryan is not involved in any kind of a cult. He is a devout and committed christian and I admire his convictions even though I'm not religious. Please don't question his faith or motives in that regard. The guy has suffered enough slings and arrows over the past few days - at the very least can we declare his faith off-limits?

"Bloomzie" can have ALL my green "dots".

The few that I have, I don't deserve, want or need.

You should see the ANONYMOUS comments that have accompanied the many red dots I've received, priceless. Especially after my lengthy "tattoo" diatribe.

I'd submit that a lot of you had fun with that one.

Believe me, the red dots are more fun. I just don't have time to rack-up a substantial number of them. I'm too busy trying to figure out ways to crush my competition.

That theres even a discussion about the green dots is funny. That I participated in that discussion proves that my mind is no bigger than a peanut. Thus, my "Handle" - The Village Idiot.

Reactions: 2 people
" the other Ryan" ? Faith based conspiracies? Maybe this has gotten a bit too personal for a florist forum? Some things should just be off limits and not open to attacks or scrutiny in this setting.

Anyone who gives their time and knowledge to help others is at the top of the list in my book, thank you Ryan for all of your help and sharing.

Mary

Just to be clear, I am not questioning faiths, nor am I judging any faith. Although I have conspiracy paranoia, I am very supportive of all faiths.

I just haven't found the faith for me yet, and I'm not looking either...

I still think this is about pointing FCs to the other blog... And if this thread is truly about the "professional rivalry", then I say who cares?! We don't all need to agree all the time!

" the other Ryan" ? Faith based conspiracies? Maybe this has gotten a bit too personal for a florist forum? Some things should just be off limits and not open to attacks or scrutiny in this setting.

Anyone who gives their time and knowledge to help others is at the top of the list in my book, thank you Ryan for all of your help and sharing.

Mary
I agree Mary.
Ryan has helped me with so much and has not charged me a dime extra!

I really don't understand the purpose of this thread....

Mac, I'll be honest. I've met Ryan and based on that meeting and the help he's offered here, I don't see it.

I've never heard of someone who runs a chat site and sells internet sites that is so willing to help people for free. Doesn't sound like a bad guy to me.

You guy better thank your lucky stars that I'm not in charge of this place. Then you'd really know what a nasty attitude is. (just kidding)

Actually i have just read that link and i think that to start this thread was completely inappropriate. In my most humblest honestest opinion.

What exactly was the purpose of it?

Well, I had to come back and read everything again because I was so stunned when I read this thread early this morning. That anyone would so publicly attack Ryan left me speechless! Somehow, I've missed the other jabs at him also, probably because I often skim the threads that are techie.

In the time I've know Ryan here on FlowerChat (because it's never been my privilege to meet him face-to-face or to converse with him via phone), he has always been as helpful and nice as anyone could be asked to be.

He did PM me once, maybe twice, about a question that I had asked. It happened to be about another webmaster, and Ryan was every bit the gentleman, never making the other guy look bad.

I wish with all of my heart that this thread had never been started. It really is quite disturbing to witness this attack. I hope that enough of us are speaking up so that Ryan does not give up on the lot of us.

Status
Not open for further replies.