Visiting Amsterdam

robinwood

Aug 2, 2007
Cincinnati
www.robinwoodflowers.com
State / Prov
Ohio
I'm planning a trip to Amsterdam in April. Has anyone visited recently? Of course, we'll visit Aalsmeer. Any words of advice on finding the best flower shops or educational opportunities?
Thanks for any words of wisdom.

Good for you...

Funny, I just watched a program on TV last night about Oaksterdam... (Oakland CA) ;)

No words of advice, I'm just pea green with envy!
Have a safe and fun trip! Take lots of pics!

Wow!! Lucky you. And in April too!
There's a million things to do...it's hard to know where to start.
Of course, you need to spend at least a day at the clock in AAlsmeer. The best way is to go with a florist so that you can get on to the floor and into the gallery where the auction takes place.Also there is a hard goods area that is really cool...you see alot of the euro styled accories that are popular overseas. The public areas are neat too, but if you can hook up with a florist it's way better. If you do business with Metz, they would probebly be happy to pair you with a local florist.
In Amsterdam, The Dam Square is a fabulous, with lots of amazing galleries, museums, the red light district, and the famous (or should I say infamous)coffee houses. The Van Gogh Museum is an absolute must. And Hortus Botanicus, a huge botnaical garden, one of the oldest in the world.
Just one word of caution. Amsterdam is not really like the real Holland. It is a mix of cultures and people from everywhere, just like any huge city. Pick pockets are rampant, so guard you wallet.
The train system is awesome, and will take you pretty much anywhere you want to go, but if you rent a car you can experience the "real" Holland, and travel around to some of the villages and towns where you will get a better sense of the people. Apeldorn is one of my favorites, so is Groningen, Utrecht is gorgeous, and Rotterdam is cool too. The food...mmmmm. And the beer! And the cheese!!! And of course, the flowers.
And the people are warm and kind and full of life.
One day I'd like to live there for a couple of years, cause for such a tiny country, there is way too much beauty to absorb in a short trip.
Enjoy!!