Not open for further replies.

BOSS

FlowerChat Administrator
Oct 31, 2002
Midland
www.smithsflowers.com
State / Prov
MI
Having had this issue myself, and currently being involved in a trademark dispute, I thought it a good idea to remind our Community to keep an eye on your domain names, and see who is perhaps buying domains similar to yours and protect your investment.

I have taken to buying almost all versions .com .net .biz .org .info as well as hyphinated names like smith-flowers.com when I register a new domain just to be sure someone else does not come along and try to copy and capitalize on mine.

One major consideration to keep in mind, when you go looking to see what domains like your own are available have your credit card ready and be ready to purchse those that you think you want now or may want in the future on the spot. Today there are folks out there simply watching what searches are being done for domains, and then buying them up to hold onto them to try and resell at a later date for a profit. A domain you search for and find today, may be gone tomorrow if you do not buy it on the spot.

A great place for domain searching and hosting is RKFdomains where you can search for and purchase as well as host domains at a great price. Also for researching domains and who owns them Whois Source and Whois.com are good references for obtaining ownership data. This can also be found through RKFdomains.

Additional note:

When you select a domain to register at RKFdomains.biz you will be prompted to accept a package of the .org .biz .info domains at a great savings. For around $20 or less per year you can protect yourself from people who may try to cash in on your name.

Ryan

Attachments

• domains.gif
    domains.gif
    11.2 KB · Views: 19
Other domains

Good idea. I had done that along with obtaining domain names like victoriatexasflorist.com (others like that) and having it linked to mcadamsfloral.com. In the SEO seminar, they suggested highly not to do it (this time I am not going to type "Just don't do it")....the "short" answer was that you are competing with yourself.

I have often read about" seeing what searches are being done for websites". Where do you go to get this information.
Thanks

Get this information

mcbloomer said:
I have often read about" seeing what searches are being done for websites". Where do you go to get this information.
Thanks

Not sure if this is a general question or directed towards my last post, but several of my recent "short" website forum responces were from items covered in the SEO seminar. While Mary Lou has covered a big part of the SEO things in her posts, the seminar went into way more detail....as you could expect. While I was trying to offer a one line comment on the topic, the thirst for expanded information on my one liner is more than I can answer...at this time....and thus not doing justice if feel.

It's true what "they" do and try to do, but barring trademark disputes, those dot org and dot nets are not worth much as for functioning websites. Yes I have all permutations of my domain and then some tho...

That is a bummer tho, can't quite figure that one out.

clay said:
In the SEO seminar, they suggested highly not to do it (this time I am not going to type "Just don't do it")....the "short" answer was that you are competing with yourself.
Were they talking about running separate websites on each domain or simply having redirects from the other URLs?

In the long run, I personally think it's far better to build the content of one site and work on inbound links, optimization and rich content to make it a useful resource rather than to throw up a nest of interlinked and related sites - especially if the sites all focus on the same keywords. Those tactics can and do work temporarily, especially on MSN and Yahoo, but Google is getting better and better at sniffing out the spam clusters. They do consider redundant content spread over mutilple sites to be spam.

Of course, there are exceptions but they are usually older, well-established domains with more than 10,000 inbound links. Doubt companies like FTD could have two placements in the top five for the term 'florist' if either of those sites were created in the last two or three years.

CHR said:
Were they talking about running separate websites on each domain or simply having redirects from the other URLs?

The company had done a review of my website before going to the SEO seminar done by this SEM company. ONE of the things that was on his list was haveing a half dozen other URLs with the SAME content (as in my www.victoriatexasflorist.com...). Clay

There is nothing wrong with pointing several domains to the same site - which I do. Just don't submit them to try for better listings.

I think it's very important to have your citynameflowers.com and citynameflorist.com and citynameflorists.com

multiple pages, subdomains, or domains with substantually duplicate content

clay said:
The company had done a review of my website before going to the SEO seminar done by this SEM company. ONE of the things that was on his list was haveing a half dozen other URLs with the SAME content (as in my www.victoriatexasflorist.com...). Clay

I found the sheet that the SEM company wrote on MY website-----

Domain Names
Search engines do not like to crawl and index multiple URLs that contain the exact same content. In fact Google and Yahoo both specifically address this issue in ther guidelines for Webmasters.....

http://www.google.com/webmasters/guidelines.html
"Don't create multiple pages , subdomains, or domains with substantially duplicate content"

http://www.help.yahoo.com/help/us/ysearch/deletions/deletions-05.html
What Yahoo considers unwanted....
"Pages that have substatially the same content as other pages."
"Multiple sites offering the same content"

Anyway, that is one of the things that he "wrote" me up on.........

Status
Not open for further replies.