Website Costs?

How Much Do You Pay Per Year for Your Web Site and Hosting? (Site only no extra fee)

• < $600

Votes: 21 40.4%
  • $600

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • $800

Votes: 7 13.5%
  • $1000

Votes: 17 32.7%
  • $1200

• $1400

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $1600

• $1800

• $2000

• $2000+

Votes: 4 7.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have my own independent website . I have been paying just around $650 for the year but just got notification that the price is actually going down to $49 per month making it $588 for the year. I use Nucleus in Calgary even though I am in Victoria because I have cold fusion on my site and the only local hosts are the company I couldn't stand that constantly ripped me off for any changes I made.

Dianne

I'm not of the best way to handle this, but there should be a distinction between just hosting costs vs access to a platform.

Strider, FSN, Media99 - these are platform subscriptions. It's like renting a furnished and equipped store vs hosting which is renting the empty space.

If you're hosting your own site, I would suggest guesstimating the value of your design / programming time (but not content creation, since that's a requiement with every platform).

Ryan

savings

I'm not of the best way to handle this, but there should be a distinction between just hosting costs vs access to a platform.

Strider, FSN, Media99 - these are platform subscriptions. It's like renting a furnished and equipped store vs hosting which is renting the empty space.

If you're hosting your own site, I would suggest guesstimating the value of your design / programming time (but not content creation, since that's a requiement with every platform).

Ryan
There is one vital element that has been constantly forgotten in this debate/poll/issue... How much money is being "SAVED" by not having an actual body/ associate/ employee taking these orders over the phone and in person. Lets do quick math....
Person makes lets for argument sake 8.50 per hour to answer phones / sales clerk 40hrs a week = 340.00 per week times 52 = 17,680.00

Now add - Employer taxes/benefits/ins etc - lets say 20% of gross 3536.00 total 21556.00

I don't think there is anyone on this board that can honestly say they don't "SAVE" money.

I would like to see a poll on who would have to hire someone had they didnt have an internet site... I would say the majority all save it's just a matter of how much. It basically boils down to you can't afford not to have a site. Weather it's your own or somebody elses.

You must promote your site to your customer base as added value, an extension of your business. It takes time but it does work and WILL SAVE you money.
Sorry I may have drifted off topic

Ryan

Concur. If anyone reads this before they vote, Ryan's point should be taken into consideration.

Those without ecommerce at all, that is a different poll all together.

Well, for those of us with TF websites, the hosting is $70 month, and I pay godaddy for the domain. Is that what you mean?, not very techy here. I already voted $1000 because I figured there was more to the question than $840 to TF.

We took over our websites from the wire services shortly after buying our shop. Fortunately, my wife has an IT background, and was able to set up and run the sites. It took a few weeks before we were back up and running, but it was worth the downtime.

Our total monthly costs for 2 websites are under $15.:headbang: Yes, we do have to manage them ourselves, etc., etc., but we are saving tons just in not having to pay the W/S's their fees. Total annual costs (not including labor) is less tahn $180, and that's for both of them. We have other websites and a bunch of other domains, but they are dormant for now.

Interestingly enough, the first statement after taking over, one of the WS's tried to charge us $40 for NOT having a website with them. WTF? And they wonder why florists are shutting down and/or cancelling memberships....

I bought my sites to begin with.
My regular site was about $1100 and my Organic site $650.
I pay $95 permonth for maintenance and for all other charges - domain fees, etc. My web designer considers this $95.00 for 2 hours of maintenance a month. Some months she does very little, other months like this one a lot. We are totally changing the menu tabs, along with adding several pages and doing another amazo wedding album presentation. She also handles all of my marketing emails.
Some months, she does so much, that I send her an extra hundred or two. Where could I get the kind of marketing that she provides for me at the ridiculously low prices she charges? I try to give her flowers as much as possible, she lives pretty far away in Colorado Springs.
She is absolutely my most precious business partner at this stage of my career. Not to mention the fact that I love her and have so much faith in all she suggests. I listen and do everything she tells me to.
She also provides my analytics to me, helps me list with sites she feels is important, designs my email marketing campaigns, the lists goes on.
Did I mention that she is an ex English teacher. What a jackpot!
I just send her the pics, along with dimensions and product list and she does the rest.
She is the third web designer I have worked with (she's not too keen when I refer to her as my web mistress)! The other two were somewhat bozos. They could put together the site, knew the computer language, and absolutely no concept of syntax and grammer and spelling. It used to make me insane the stupid sh-t I would see them put on the site. They did however, allow me to design my main site. Which would be why it's kind of odd. Vicki has just taken over the site and we constantly modify it to make it better. It's a piece of work in motion. My Organic site she totally designed and scripted.
I am totally blessed to have her in my life.
I have referred her to so many people, she has gotten many new clients from me. And, they all love her too!!!!!

Ryan
Ours is with Go Daddy and it was $100 for 3 years. Other than that I spend at most about an hour a week on average, making any changes and updates, so this could be polled under the $1000, but the time that I get to be up here, at the computer, is slow time that wouldn't be too productive in any other area.

About $10 a month for 4 sites.

There are soooo many variables like SEO, eCommerce, price per order, etc...

Hal, you bring up a good point, but the poll I ran last week, a lot of people who have shopping carts said people still called in. The trick is to make it so awesome, the consumers don't feel they need to call in. So ask the question, why do the consumers feel they need to call in, when the other consumers just use the shopping cart. I think I know why and might have the solution.

I pay under 15 dollars a month. The site is hosted by Yahoo. I have had my own site for the past 2 years. I have had customers call me to order flowers after viewing our site. They like our site since it's not a cookie cutter site. I like the I have control of what is on my site and I can change it as my business changes. I must say I truly have no web design background and it's been a challenge, but it's been a great learning experience. Check ours our if you like http://www.appleblossomstampa.com

Reactions: 1 person
Sexy designs Apple. Ty for your work. :)

I pay under 15 dollars a month. The site is hosted by Yahoo. I have had my own site for the past 2 years. I have had customers call me to order flowers after viewing our site. They like our site since it's not a cookie cutter site. I like the I have control of what is on my site and I can change it as my business changes. I must say I truly have no web design background and it's been a challenge, but it's been a great learning experience. Check ours our if you like http://www.appleblossomstampa.com
Very nice web site, your work is beautiful

About $10 a month for 4 sites.

There are soooo many variables like SEO, eCommerce, price per order, etc...

Hal, you bring up a good point, but the poll I ran last week, a lot of people who have shopping carts said people still called in. The trick is to make it so awesome, the consumers don't feel they need to call in. So ask the question, why do the consumers feel they need to call in, when the other consumers just use the shopping cart. I think I know why and might have the solution.
A solution would be great!
We have been talking about getting a shopping cart soon, but we do have a form online to order from, which is emailed to us, then we will call the customer for credit info. We've been told by the customers that they like this approach because they feel more secure about their order. There are always questions with flowers. I think a good portion of the people that view the site and then call, are not familiar with flowers, don't know if the design will be exactly like it's pictured, if they can change colors, even if we did indeed receive the order, etc. I also think a lot of them have been burned by the OG's, and calling, and talking to someone who knows something is comforting.

I'm in the middle of updating mine. I can't believe the cost some are paying.
I think I spend total...340.00 a year and that includes my service guy. I'm sure it will be more when I go to an eCommerce site.
I am also finding more and more want to TALK to a person. Ya never know.

Status
Not open for further replies.