Wedding Design Books: Which Ones Do You Recommend/Use?

Gina B Kellogg

Pro Member
Sep 30, 2011
Overland Park
www.hottcornflakes.com
State / Prov
KS
[h=5]A fan posted the following question on the FlowerChat FAcebook page:

"Now that John Henry Wedding Flower Style is out of print, what wedding books do you show your brides? I can't find anything that compares. Help!"
[/h]
What do you suggest for this gal?

I'd recommend she begin building her own, of her own work... I tend to stay away from books, generally they display a lot of items that are simply not practical and when a Bride sees something they get the idea it's "always" available... We're working to make our book "seasonal" with specific product that is available at that time of year.

Wedding books

We coach our brides to find as many pictures of things they like. It may be the color of one, style of another and texture..... etc. We use photos of our work more to show that we are capable of creating what they want.

I agree with Mark and Helen. With Pinterst and the internet in general there are plenty of pictures.I have my own albums and also have my Ipad handy when we need other pictures.Your work is the best tool

Reactions: anytimeflowers
Another thing that's helped me with brides getting a good idea of what things cost, is to strongly suggest to them that they send me pics of what they like (like has been said, many have collected a lot of images) and I freely break these images down, and price them out and send them back to them.

A future Bride in March, sent me about 30 centerpiece designs, ranging from $150 to $575 PER.... priced them out, sent them, met with her again and settled on 43 tables at an average of $185 in two different styles, hi and low....

My market generally does not support those designs, thus they are not shown in my book... the web has changed everything, and some of it in a good way...

I find that most of the book publications out there show styles that aren't even close to what most brides are looking for. I would say 98% of the bouquets we do are handtied. Magazines are more likely to show styles that the brides are interested in. Bride and Bloom used to be a great magazine but I don't think it's around anymore. I would suggest keeping a good library of current bridal magazines and using Pinterest. We have over 700 bouquets pinned to our bouquet board. I think it's time to start separating them by season and color!

Reactions: anytimeflowers
I do agree with always having a portfolio of your work available, and most of my brides come with pictures. That said I love books of any kinds so I have large floral library.
Two of my favorite (and my brides):
1. Rene's Bouquets for Brides -- a great style forward book, showing it to my brides have allowed me to expend from the hand tied bouquet.
2. The Bride's Bouquet by Jeanne Graham-150 picture book, I find this one helps me get a picture of what the brides like, such as lots of texture, all soft petaled flowers, lot's of structure, wildflower.
Anne