What customs/traditions are unique to your area?

Sarah Botchick

Dec 10, 2008
Berea (Near Cleveland)
www.pioneerwholesaleco.com
State / Prov
OH
The whole thread about the homecoming mums in Texas got me thinking about something... how many other unique traditions are out there that we know nothing about?

So I thought it might be fun, and give some of the rest of us some fresh ideas, to have a thread on what is "big" in your area that is not so popular, or not heard of at all, in other parts of the country/world.

Any thoughts anyone??

One that is common in the Philadelphia area, only a 2 hour ride from where I live now, but not used/known here is the use of cemetery blankets on gravesites. These are placed during the Christmas season and consist of evergreens constructed on a frame with a bow and maybe flowers or other accessories. When I googled it just now, I can up with this site (from MI), http://www.warmgesturesmi.com/, so it's obviously more widespread than I realized.

Funerals for gypsy families!
I am second generation dealing with part of a family of gypsies. lots of white tuelle, white orchids, roses etc. Sometimes white christmas lights or running lights. These folks are demanding but price is always a secondary consideration. They have unique customs, and it takes years to learn their likes and dislikes. These folks become your friend after a while.

George

Reactions: Sarah Botchick
I'm just remembering many years back when I was a new employee at Pippin Florist in Bristol, TN. and an order came back to the workroom for a "Jesus Called". So what the heck is a "Jesus Called" I asked....I honestly thought they were trying to pull one over on me.....They took a princess style plastic telephone, mounted it into a pillow shaped design of carnations (ribbon pleated around the edge), took the receiver off the phone and mounted it slightly to the side then made a banner to mount across the whole deal, reading, you guessed it..."Jesus Called". Sometime it was "Jesus Called and Momma Answered". Honestly folks, if I hadn't seen this thing go out the door over & over during the 2 years I was there I would never have believed it! So, there's my contribution to the local floral customs thread.

I grew up in Texas and Michigan and now live in southern Illinois and there's quite a few things that are different between those states. Here in Illinois no one has ever heard of kissing balls but they were everywhere in Michigan. Michigan and Illinois don't do the mums but I had one when I was in high school down in Texas. I never noticed any grave blankets/pillows when I was in Texas but they're all over the place in Michigan and Illinois.

I'm just remembering many years back when I was a new employee at Pippin Florist in Bristol, TN. and an order came back to the workroom for a "Jesus Called". So what the heck is a "Jesus Called" I asked....I honestly thought they were trying to pull one over on me.....They took a princess style plastic telephone, mounted it into a pillow shaped design of carnations (ribbon pleated around the edge), took the receiver off the phone and mounted it slightly to the side then made a banner to mount across the whole deal, reading, you guessed it..."Jesus Called". Sometime it was "Jesus Called and Momma Answered". Honestly folks, if I hadn't seen this thing go out the door over & over during the 2 years I was there I would never have believed it! So, there's my contribution to the local floral customs thread.

These kinds of things are still popular in some areas.

One of the florists that I bought out (bought her supplies) sent some silk funeral pieces. I thought that they were too awful to display, but we put them back in a corner anyway. They all sold, but the one that I most remember was a (cheaply) framed copy of "Amazing Grace" encircled with silk carnations. I almost fainted when a family finally bought it and took it to a relative's service in Georgia.

Upon their return, the customers came by the shop to thank us for the beautiful piece which they'd bought and to tell us that the family had loved it so much, they had moved it to the head of the casket. It had been the deceased's favorite song, and they thought it was just about the most wonderful thing they had ever seen.

There is just no accounting for taste.

Years ago, when I was first involved in funerals and flowers in a small town, someone asked for a Gates Ajar. I had no clue of what they were talking about. My husband (at the time) luckily had a wire frame of it in the funeral home and he explained how to do it.

It was hideous in my eyes, but the client was thrilled to bits.

V