What is your fav

Status
Not open for further replies.

pankerbelle

Feb 22, 2009
Temple
State / Prov
Texas
I am always curious about new things and other peoples experiences so I wanna know what everybody's favorite cutting tools are. Do you have a certain brand? What tool do you like best for different tasks. I know this sounds a little trivial but it may keep me from buying junk I don't or that doesn't work very good . For some reason floral tools can kinda be like shoes..... I end up with alot that I never use.

Melissa

Reactions: Carol Bice
i always use pruners.......sometimes a knife........i might spell it wrong but so far my favorite brand was frisco (???)....
:0)

i use bunch cutters and my knife is a swiss army... my first shop i worked at over 25 years ago we used cardboard cutters or exacto knives!!! was always sharp and could change the blade as needed.

I would prolly slice a finger off with an exacto knife! lol

Noooooooooo,
I am forever cutting myself. In fact I use a leather thangy because I am just not as good as I should be with sharp objects! It's prolly cause I dont have years and years under my belt.

I can't imagine being without my Victrinox (Swiss Army) knife with a slightly curved blade. I think it's officially called a pruning knife.

I also live with my small, lightweight pair of snips, and a heavy duty ratcheting pruner for woody stems. And several wire cutters for different things like florist wire or chicken wire.

(I'm currently going through a little thing with chicken wire! Great mechanic when you can conceal it.)

It's pretty amazing how your hands know the exact peramaters of the tools you use on a daily basis!
I zip along with my Swiss Army Knife . . .but every single time I use one of the curved ones, I cut myself!

Reactions: elmo
I soak my tools in a old coffee can and lid filled with rubbing alcohol once every so often and over night. I also have a really cool old industrial blade sharpener that I bought at a tag sale. Clean tools and sharp ones are VERY important for proper floristry.

You should get 50 lashes with a wet noodle for using fabric shears on chicken wire!

I soak my tools in a old coffee can and lid filled with rubbing alcohol once every so often and over night. I also have a really cool old industrial blade sharpener that I bought at a tag sale. Clean tools and sharp ones are VERY important for proper floristry.

How often do yall sharpen? I swear somebody cuts petrified wood with my stuff when I am not around...... My snips and knife are always dull.

I use a knife for cutting all flowers stems and wooden ones ruin them very quickly. I have a meat cutter sharpen my knives and he told me to never use your good knives on curling ribbon it makes a groove in them.
Also can't live without wire cutters or pliers as I have no strengh in my hands anymore and I need them to twist wire.

I'd rather you use the leather thangie!:spankmecu
Ok Fly, were you for real wanting to know about the out plug on the DVD or VCR? Any way, I ask.... that is what you connect to the TV.
Sorry to HJ this thread, sounds like you needed a time out there Fly.
Used hook knife.... worked great till I sliced palm open.... wrapped till was finished with flowers for woman waiting on hand tie...( she didn't give a dodo I was hurt) called Doc. office,got a shot and they glued it, taped and sent back to work.Watch that hook, it'll getch ya.:tongue:

I use a knife and find it easier, safer and quicker. I do use scissors for the more woody stems such as salall etc etc

When i used to use scissors more, i accidentally cut off the tip of my finger which was not that pleasant i have to say. Cut all the nerve endings so yeah knife for me...

A gal that works at our nursery recommended the Fiskars bypass pruners as the best, the ones I got have a swivel thing that ratchets. She said it was the best for arthritic hands and makes a cleaner cut, I LOVE them, a bit pricey though.

I also use the Swiss Army knife, but have found the black handled ones with the curved blade are great too. We have the big bolt cutters and the table mounted cutter for large silk stems. Table cutter doesn't always make a clean cut, but manages to do pretty good, the bolt cutters handle the smaller diameter stems but has a small opening on them.

Trish

I use a knife and find it easier, safer and quicker. I do use scissors for the more woody stems such as salall etc etc

When i used to use scissors more, i accidentally cut off the tip of my finger which was not that pleasant i have to say. Cut all the nerve endings so yeah knife for me...

Paula,

I also cut the corner/tip of my left pointer finger off with an exacto knife, about 20 years ago. It's almost round again, but not quite! I was working in a print shop, doing pasteup. I ran bleeding down the stairs to get a ride to the ER, and one of my nice coworkers ran upstairs and retrieved the little piece of finger off the light table for me. How kind! But they didn't reattach it.

Reactions: Palms
Beth, OMG, how sore is it when it happened. I used to cry with the shooting pains of the skin knitting together healing. It was awful, and we had just lost our dog Molly so i was so upset, i think i was distracted because of that and thats how it happened in the first place. I never did find the tip but the blood was everywhere!!

Every time i hear a snip now which is quite often obviously i find myself checking where my fingers are placed on the stem!

And, i just realised its the same finger...

shoot never lost a tip or anything but I gashed my hand pretty good...was dripping blood on the shop floor....I was trying to keep calm and not scare the designer...he was like HERE take the towel!! It took awhile to get it to stop bleeding and a few bandaids...it still soaked through. I ended up just tying the towel around my hand like I was Rambo. didn't hurt really at all.

Reactions: Palms
Status
Not open for further replies.