What's with the google ads at the bottom of floral websites?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandytf

Feb 16, 2009
Minocqua
www.trigsfloral.com
State / Prov
WI
In the last two days I've seen google ads across the bottom of some floral websites I've been looking at. Is this new or has this always been there?

On Makescent's website there were ads for 1800flowers and on Goldfishes site there is an ad for proflowers!

How do you get them to go away? It sucks that another competitor can be advertising on our own websites!!!

Hmmm... I don't see anything on Fish's site... and the only thing I get on Make Scents is a Google search box at the bottom...

Yeah, well if that's the case it stinks! Because there is no way those of us with websites can control what settings the user has on the other end.

Yeah, well if that's the case it stinks! Because there is no way those of us with websites can control what settings the user has on the other end.
You do if you have an independent site....

Reactions: sandytf
I remember Goldfish saying he wanted it there too. Extra $ I quess. It may be the same with Makescents, It may also be that if you have a "free" hosted website it gets full of ads you can't control. Personally, I would NEVER have an add for any other flower provider on my shop and I only put links to sites I really like but to each his own!:dunno:

In the pay per click world, this is what is called "content match". If you have pay per click accounts, this can be wonderful for you, or horrible. It is when your ad is dispalyed on websites with "similar content" in the mind of the search engine. Problem is, the search engines decide everything. When you agree to have adsense on your site, they decide what ads to put there. And when you agree to sign up for content match, they decide what sites your ad will be on.

I have read many articles advising companies not to use adsense (or the like) as it takes your traffic, that you have worked so hard to get, and sends it to another site, often a competitor.

Unless you have a site hosted on a "free" hosting service, you should have the control over whether or not this happens. And remember, in life, there rarely is anything that is actually "free" - that is how "free" hosting services cover their expenses. Pay a cheap hosting service $5/month to host your website. It will be better than having the traffic driven away from your site.

Reactions: sandytf and bloomz
In the last two days I've seen google ads across the bottom of some floral websites I've been looking at. Is this new or has this always been there?

On Makescent's website there were ads for 1800flowers and on Goldfishes site there is an ad for proflowers!

How do you get them to go away? It sucks that another competitor can be advertising on our own websites!!!

Hey Sandy... I have been trying to address this with my site provider... I am actually getting a bit angry about it - But REMEMBER! I need to learn to be NICE??? :hammer:

Anyway they said it has something to do with my settings at the Domain Name place??? The OG's have bought space with the Domain guys.. I am working on it! I will let yall know how it goes...

I remember Goldfish saying he wanted it there too. Extra $ I quess. It may be the same with Makescents, It may also be that if you have a "free" hosted website it gets full of ads you can't control. Personally, I would NEVER have an add for any other flower provider on my shop and I only put links to sites I really like but to each his own!:dunno:

No I do not choose to have these adds on my site... I think I STINKS! It's my domain provider (where my site sits and who I purchased the name from...) We are working on getting them removed! They just give us a line of BS. :confused:

We are working on getting them removed! They just give us a line of BS. :confused:

Seems simple to me...notify them in writing that the ads must be removed by a specific date or you will me moving your web site the day after that. Remember ~ They are providing you with a service. If you are unhappy with that service there are multitude of other companies able to provide this service to you.

Nope.. It's Dotster.com - It's where we found the www.YourOnlineFlorist.com for sale (cheap) so.. we just went with them - a friend built the site... they just host..

Reactions: 1 person
BTW - I am totally not savy on web-sites and how they work.. so if anyone knows about this stuff... I am really good at myspace - But just when I get that down... now something new???

I have always had our site - but it was hosted by FTD - now that we have our "own"... per say..... I wish I new how to write code - so that I could build my own and host...

Any input on this would be GREATLY appreciated! :hug:

Seems simple to me...notify them in writing that the ads must be removed by a specific date or you will me moving your web site the day after that. Remember ~ They are providing you with a service. If you are unhappy with that service there are multitude of other companies able to provide this service to you.

Any suggestions on who to use???:hug:

Any suggestions on who to use???:hug:

I love 1and1.com

Don't be fooled by their cheap prices - I've been thru several and really like what they do.

Status
Not open for further replies.