What's with the google ads at the bottom of floral websites?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the last two days I've seen google ads across the bottom of some floral websites I've been looking at. Is this new or has this always been there?

On Makescent's website there were ads for 1800flowers and on Goldfishes site there is an ad for proflowers!

How do you get them to go away? It sucks that another competitor can be advertising on our own websites!!!

This has been discussed many times before.

The ad is called AdSense. I could very easily remove ProFlowers, 1800, FTD's ads. I chose not to do it.

Reactions: sandytf
Basically the question is this.

When a consumer clicks on one of those competitor's ad links, am I losing the sale?

The answer is not as simple as many of you think.

I would be losing the sale, only when a customer would have stayed at my site and made a purchase if these ads were not present.

I would not be losing the sale, if a customer was clicking the ad as a way to exit. In other words, this customer already decided to exit before clicking on the ad. In that case, even if there was no ad in my site, this person would have left anyway.

Reactions: Mac
In the pay per click world, this is what is called "content match". If you have pay per click accounts, this can be wonderful for you, or horrible. It is when your ad is dispalyed on websites with "similar content" in the mind of the search engine. Problem is, the search engines decide everything. When you agree to have adsense on your site, they decide what ads to put there. And when you agree to sign up for content match, they decide what sites your ad will be on. .

That's true, except that in AdSense, you could set up so-called "Competitor filter" to prevent unwanted sites from showing up.

I have read many articles advising companies not to use adsense (or the like) as it takes your traffic, that you have worked so hard to get, and sends it to another site, often a competitor.

Putting competitors' ads in your own site is counter-intuitive, isn't it?

But mathematically, it could make sense.

It's basically a balance between conversion rate of your site and pay-off from the referral (AdSense).

One can consider two extreme cases.

1) If the conversion rate of your site is very good (say, 20%), then putting a competitor's ad almost certainly will hurt your business, unless the referral payment is large. In case for AdSense, that's not the case.

2) But imagine a site where almost all the traffic is useless. Almost 50% of incoming traffic is bounced and conversion rate is very low, such as 2 % (about the average of a typical florist site).

In that case, 98% of traffic is being "wasted" with no monetization option. If the ad link reduced the conversion rate slightly, eg, from 2% to 1.9%, that decrease would be more than compensated by the referral revenue.

In summary, there's no easy answer, other than the fact that what I'm doing is counter-intuitive. Each web site owner should analyze the numbers carefully to see if this tactics makes sense or not.

I think that, for an OG site like Bloomz or Darrell, it will probably hurt rather than help. That doesn't mean that it will hurt any florist's site.

Reactions: Mac and sandytf
When a consumer clicks on one of those competitor's ad links, am I losing the sale?

I would be losing the sale, only when a customer would have stayed at my site and made a purchase if these ads were not present.

I would not be losing the sale, if a customer was clicking the ad as a way to exit. In other words, this customer already decided to exit before clicking on the ad. In that case, even if there was no ad in my site, this person would have left anyway.

Dooood, that is some crazy logic! You spoke about a site that bounce back 50%, so it would be good to use ad sense? How about this.... find out why they are bouncing, address the issue and make changes. Sending them to PF is the silliest thing I have heard on this forum in along time.

We all know the sale isn't what makes us or breaks us, it's the return business. When you send them off to 1800-flowers you are not only branding their name, but the customer cuts you out next time and goes directly to PF or 1800flowers.

- It's not sustainable and if I was bouncing 50%, I'd fix the problem on my site, not help dOGs.

Putting competitors' ads in your own site is counter-intuitive, isn't it?

No, it's sounds silly. Name one successful brand who advertisers for their competitor on the internet... or maybe they should all go to the school of Goldie to learn a thing or two.

Can you imagine the advertising guy at the 1800flowers meeting: 'Yeah, our bounce rate was high last month, instead of Analyzing the the numbers of why they bounce, let's put our head in a hole and put a PF banner at the bottom of the page.

COME ON!

The poor thing here is you aide dOGS, my competitors.

You are smarter and better than this Goldie. Read the numbers, make the fix, serve your online market better, and heck if they don't find what they want and bounce, they click back, and maybe the money will go to a REAL brick and mortar florist, instead of a dOG.

Once again, we all know as florists, it's not the one time guy, but his loyalty (return customer) that is our bread and butter. You get that first customer to click on PF and make your $4, they sign up at PF, have control of his email and you've lost. Real florists have lost. Plus what does it say to a savvy customer who sees you redirect them to another e-commerce and what if PF come to the recipient frozen and dead? Wow.

Reactions: 1 person
Why bounces happen is not the easiest thing to finger out and fix.....

I wish I knew, and this ain't my first rodeo. I'd love to fix my bounce rate - if everyone that came to my site bought I would have that Jaguar.

Goldie does have some preposterous ideas, but I'm not positive he is wrong. On first reading it's like WTF?

He may be right he may be wrong and I may be crazy - but Daze surely is.

He also has some excellent ones with his Nutty Professor experiments.

Who knows???

Decent discussion fodder, and I hope this is the last time I can post this week.

Basically the question is this.

When a consumer clicks on one of those competitor's ad links, am I losing the sale? That would be my question as well.

I would be losing the sale, only when a customer would have stayed at my site and made a purchase if these ads were not present. This I do not understand - If the customer STAYED at your site, bought something from you.....How would you LOSE the sale ?

I think here the real question is "Why did they leave my site"

Bloomz, lets test it if you think it has merit. Put a banner for Darrel at the bottom of your pages and lets see. :p - there are services that can go in and read your analytics and find out where and why they left, maybe try to find a service like that so you can get your Jaguar. :)

Still waiting for 1 example of a successful business who puts their competitors banner on their page and uses it like Goldie has.

Hey if anyone wants to put a banner for my biz up on their site I will give you .01 for every sale! And I'll even make the banner. Come onnnnn, such a deal. :hammer:

Hey if anyone wants to put a banner for my biz up on their site I will give you .01 for every sale! And I'll even make the banner. Come onnnnn, such a deal. :hammer:

Actually, maybe that's not a bad idea for us to promote each other's "real floral business" amongst each other. We would be providing a service to our local customers who want to send out of town.

How would you know who's a quality florist?

One person here thinks because you belong to flowerchat you are and I think that's as nutter than some of Goldie's theories.

:hammer::dunno::confused:

One person here thinks because you belong to flowerchat you are and I think that's as nutter than some of Goldie's theories.

Maybe we could hire you for "quality control"?

Well JB - FORE MEE - lol

How do I know who's a quality florist. Well, First of all - there is a little thing called the AIFD directory that lists names and contacts of trained, qualified, professional designers.

That's my first resource.

If there is not an AIFD member for the particular area I am sending to, then I look on the internet and other sources......like FlowerChat for instance.......I find a listing in whatever town I am sending to, then I CALL THEM ON THE PHONE - I talk to one of their designers or the owner, and I relay the flower order. Also, there are your State Association member rosters.......and other floral association rosters.

That way, I am assured that I SHOULD GET a fair quality florist.

With one cent, no one will take your offer.

But if you offer $1, someone might.

As I said, it depends on numbers.

Consider this scenario.

Your website has a traffic of 100 a day with conversion rate of 2%. Assuming the average sale of $50, your website is making $100 sale a day.

Now let's see what might happen if you put AdSense.

Your conversion rate might reduce slightly, from 2% to 1.9%. So your average sale will reduce to $95, loss of $5.

If you can recoup that $5 or more from the AdSense revenue, your site is actually making more money than without.

In reality, for a site like mine, most "conversions" occur by telephone call. Now it is highly unlikely that these customers would purchase anything from ProFlowers or 1800, because they bother calling; they are not lazy clickers. They like what they saw in our site.

On the other hand, all those bouncers didn't like what they saw in my website. They leave, not because of the AdSense, but because they didn't like our site. In other words, presence of AdSense didn't affect their decision to leave.

In fact, when I placed AdSense, I analyzed the conversion rate very carefully. What do you think I observed? No difference, which means that AdSense isn't inducing anyone to leave our site. They already decided to leave before clicking on AdSense ad.

You see, sometimes a counter-intuitive idea isn't that crazy.

Bloomz, it's a crapshoot either way, but using a florist direct costs $0. There is NO quality control with the WS and it's also true, just 'cause someone is on here doesn't mean they're good either. But I like to use people from here if I can, and I do pick and choose. An intelligent person can look for signs. :)

Hey did ya see that flower thing from that wedding last week, yeah and they belong here, So goes to show, Maybe when I grow up, I will become a flower person,,,So I will post again..

I've seen some fairly horrendous stuff in the gallery as well, the couple times I looked I haven't bothered since.

Just gimme my cookiez please.......

I've seen some fairly horrendous stuff in the gallery as well, the couple times I looked I haven't bothered since.

Just gimme my cookiez please.......

You're a designer...right?

Gigi

Dianne

Adam

Some Cathy person

Some Phil guy

Eric (well, his wife actually)

Peter ?????

Dude, there's a LOT of good stuff in that there gallery.... you should give it another chance... I mean.... you got back on a Honda right? What's the dif?

I'm a designer? wrong. I'm a seller.

Naw I don't care that much really.....I'm not that impressed unless they have dollar signs on them - is there any like that???:dunno:

Honda? Is there anything else?

Reactions: 1 person
Here Goldfish, this is new, free and will help you fix the problem, not mask it. http://www.seewhy.com/atfree - Support Real Florists!

How do I know who's a quality florist. Well, First of all - there is a little thing called the AIFD directory that lists names and contacts of trained, qualified, professional designers.

With all due respect to the AIFD and you Ricky, but this is silly. I've seen AIFD stuff that is granny panty hideous. I know designers who don't have the tag who are amazing. By the way, some of the greatest artist never had formal training, does that make them less great? AIFD people now a lot and are very saavy, it's a great thing, but it doesn't make one a good designer or not. - When designers come to me and tell me they are in AIFD, I say GREAT, can you design? Again, no disrespect to the club, but Ricky, AIFD means a lot I know, but it doesn't mean they design or run a business well.

I know this is so far off topic and tend to rebel against 'what people say you must be or have in order to do X', so sorry Ricky, I don't mean to sound witchy. :)

With one cent, no one will take your offer.

But if you offer $1, someone might.

As I said, it depends on numbers.

Consider this scenario.

Your website has a traffic of 100 a day with conversion rate of 2%. Assuming the average sale of $50, your website is making $100 sale a day.

Now let's see what might happen if you put AdSense.

Your conversion rate might reduce slightly, from 2% to 1.9%. So your average sale will reduce to $95, loss of $5.

If you can recoup that $5 or more from the AdSense revenue, your site is actually making more money than without.

In reality, for a site like mine, most "conversions" occur by telephone call. Now it is highly unlikely that these customers would purchase anything from ProFlowers or 1800, because they bother calling; they are not lazy clickers. They like what they saw in our site.

On the other hand, all those bouncers didn't like what they saw in my website. They leave, not because of the AdSense, but because they didn't like our site. In other words, presence of AdSense didn't affect their decision to leave.

In fact, when I placed AdSense, I analyzed the conversion rate very carefully. What do you think I observed? No difference, which means that AdSense isn't inducing anyone to leave our site. They already decided to leave before clicking on AdSense ad.

You see, sometimes a counter-intuitive idea isn't that crazy.

Your number logic is fine, no one is arguing that. I am saying, it's not sustainable. You will probably lose that person who leaves yours site to find PF forever. Don't band aide, cure. Still waiting for 1 example.

With all due respect to the AIFD and you Ricky, but this is silly.

Thank you for saying it and I concur completely.

With all due respect again - I often fear the AIFD types (I have one right here) - some of them have their own ideas of what my customers want that don't necessarily concur with reality.

Most of my customers (only about 99% of them) want pretty flowers in a vase - not art museum set pieces.

sorry.....hope I didn't offend any of my AFID fiends I mean friends.:iwuvyou:
(Including my Seester)

Now about that abandonment tracker - very interesting - FYF has one where if you abandon they not only have the come back popup but they send you en enticing email right now if you abandon a partially filled out cart.

I gotta look into this toot suite (or however you spell that)

Thanks migo - would dot you but I can't.

Reactions: Dazeal
Status
Not open for further replies.