Status
Not open for further replies.

clay

Aug 12, 2004
Victoria
www.mcadamsfloral.com
State / Prov
TX
I am looking for a "low tech" way to whiten the images I take for my website images. Just wondering what methods everyone else uses. This item would be an example of something that is not white enough after I took the picture,..... and changing the camera settings for a whiter background makes the colors less intense.

On this same topic, is there a low tech way to add the faux shadow to the image?

Photoshop. Either cut out the arrangement, create a drop shadow and put them both on a white background (which is what we usually do) or through PS, indicate the arrangement portion of the shot with the Magic Wand Tool (or a Lasso tool), click Select -> Inverse and then change the background via Enhance -> Adjust Color -> Replace Color. Use the eyedropper to sample the background and then move the sliders to lighten to near white.

HTH

I use Microsoft Office Picture Manager under the color menu, click the enhance color button and then you click on an area that should be white. Then you can use the contrast slide to keep color good. Is this what you mean by white background?

Attachments

• images_5_products_268-0.jpg
    images_5_products_268-0.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 59
Photoshop. Either cut out the arrangement, create a drop shadow and put them both on a white background (which is what we usually do) or through PS, indicate the arrangement portion of the shot with the Magic Wand Tool (or a Lasso tool), click Select -> Inverse and then change the background via Enhance -> Adjust Color -> Replace Color. Use the eyedropper to sample the background and then move the sliders to lighten to near white.

HTH

I love your pics on your site. You do that all in Photoshop? I am looking for a better photo software. I will have to check that out.

I am looking for a "low tech" way to whiten the images I take for my website images. Just wondering what methods everyone else uses. This item would be an example of something that is not white enough after I took the picture,..... and changing the camera settings for a whiter background makes the colors less intense.

On this same topic, is there a low tech way to add the faux shadow to the image?

a very 'low tech' thing I do is position a drop light shining down on the bouquet.. this brightens things up a bit and adds your shadow at the same time.. and by position I mean I actually hold it where I want it while I snap the picture. (hey, I gotta do what I have to do!!)
I have the basic photo software where I 'auto adjust' the picture and it also brightens further. this is an example of what i'm talking about.. the background still might not be the bright white you are looking for. this is what my images looklike before they go to Media99, they touch them up further and you can see the end result here: http://www.yeringtonflowers.com/images/spring-daylg.jpg

Attachments

• spring day.JPG
    spring day.JPG
    711.3 KB · Views: 42
I've always felt if I have to spend more than a couple minutes tweaking a photo, then I need to take better photos. You need more indirect lighting to brighten the overall photo, esp. the background.

I usually use Picasa's "I'm feeling Lucky" button, and end up with photos like http://www.bloomery.com/detail.aspx?ID=641. Kathy uses Photoshop Elements, which is a very basic version of Photoshop.

If you want an advanced photo editor without the Photoshop price, have a look at Corel's PaintShopPro X2. Has most of the features you'll need, and is quite good.

I used to have the exact same problem! I would spend so much time on photoshop, printshop or another photo software trying to fix them (yes, it would have been quicker to take new pictures, I know). Then I also tried the Picasa "I'm feeling Lucky button", and it's magic!!!! I will not use another software anymore! Why over complicate another aspect of our lives!!!

Pictures

I use a site called GIMP to touch up my pictures. It is free and you can do a lot to your pictures with it. I like the idea of holding a light over the arrangement. If the flash on your camera allows it you might try you might try bouncing the flash instead of having the flash aim straight at you flowers. Hope this helps but I must admit I am not the world's best photographer.
John

I love your pics on your site. You do that all in Photoshop? I am looking for a better photo software. I will have to check that out.
Thanks. :) Yes, we shot most of the images on our site, plus a few TF mixed vases as fill-ins.

Actually, we use PhotoShop Elements (as mentioned by Rich). Far less of an investment than full-blown PhotoShop, and a lot easier to learn.

This took about 60 sec. in photoshop. I don't know if this is what you are wanting or not? RJD is right, but photoshop (or your favorite program) can be faster. All I tinkered with was brightness, color saturation, and shadow/highlight over the entire image. If it was shot differently at first, you could have better results with little or no work.

It looks like you are using the photo pup tent. They will flatten the color. What does your setup look like?

If using the tent, put the arrangement just inside (not in the middle) and use the camera flash to light it. You will still lose the shadows with the other lights. To create a little shadow you need to increase the light that will be casting the shadow and/or decrease the light on the shadow side. If that helps, don't be afraid to move it a little this way or that. Same with the lighting. Experimentation and notes with sketches will be your friend.

Attachments

• how about this.jpg
    how about this.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 27
If you want an advanced photo editor without the Photoshop price, have a look at Corel's PaintShopPro X2. Has most of the features you'll need, and is quite good.

Love it, have used it since version 3 before Corel bought it.

It has a very nice feature called Background Eraser - which can cut backgrounds even between blades of beargrass.

Plus it only costs about $100

This took about 60 sec. in photoshop. I don't know if this is what you are wanting or not? RJD is right, but photoshop (or your favorite program) can be faster. All I tinkered with was brightness, color saturation, and shadow/highlight over the entire image. If it was shot differently at first, you could have better results with little or no work.

It looks like you are using the photo pup tent. They will flatten the color. What does your setup look like?

If using the tent, put the arrangement just inside (not in the middle) and use the camera flash to light it. You will still lose the shadows with the other lights. To create a little shadow you need to increase the light that will be casting the shadow and/or decrease the light on the shadow side. If that helps, don't be afraid to move it a little this way or that. Same with the lighting. Experimentation and notes with sketches will be your friend.
Yes and yes.

A lot of good has come from this thread.....and the first thing I am going to do is "Experiment and notes with sketches".

Thanks!!!!

Another FREE software . . .

is Paint.net

http://www.getpaint.net/

Easy to load up and use.

There are some How To Vids on YouTube.

here......photoshop can be very tricky but see if this works for u :)

I mean I can always play with the lighting more and bla bla bla but is that good nuff??

Arrangement.jpg

Not too long but some are harder than other. I am not the master of photoshop yet but this was an easy picture to work with. Arrangement with too many white flowers, especially the edges is hard to do and also with very hard shadowing in little spots are hard to work with. The trick is to take the picture w/out shadows.

So all we need to do is a post pictures here and let the members alter the pictures!!

Cool I just send over my 500 pics and let you guys do the work for me!!

I think one of the cool things that Photoshop has is its auto features and script features. This allows you to altar many images by running a script file or even using the record features by assigning shortcut keys to automatically altar your images. Anyone have some advice on how to do this with your logo? Its probably one of the only things I haven't figured out how to duplicate a paste function so that it automatically paste the logo onto the picture in the same location. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I know I can duplicate a layer but it takes a long time to manually do this.

Something to consider also is the focal length. If you stand back and zoom in, you will be flattening the image (no depth). If you get closer and use a wider angle it can help give the image some depth.

Try to put the bird on a pick and set it out farther from the flowers to make it more noticeable. A lot of times, we have arrangements that are beautiful in-person, but lose their pizazz on the screen because they go from 3D to 2D. I'm not saying your arrangement lacks pizazz, but I am saying the bird is lost in the flatness.

These are a couple of ideas. I hope they help.

We use a black background

for all of our photos, and lighting is critical - but the black background is easier to clean up (usually just around the edges). Get a piece of black velvet and use it as a backdrop, it absorbs all of the light and the flowers really pop off of the black. It may not work for all applications, but it's consistent and we have a photo area set up with a digital camera so any of the designers can photograph an arrangement.

I also use photoshop for all of our retouching - have heard that corel works well but we already had the photoshop software from our past life.

Attachments

• bluARRsm.jpg
    bluARRsm.jpg
    544.8 KB · Views: 58
Reactions: 1 person
Status
Not open for further replies.