Why Buy From a Wholesaler

Gina B Kellogg

Pro Member
Sep 30, 2011
Overland Park
www.hottcornflakes.com
State / Prov
KS
By Sarah Botchick, Marketing Director at Pioneer Wholesale Co.

Why SHOULD florists buy from me, or their local wholesaler, instead of the local dollar store or a craft store? To answer that question, let me ask you a question. Why should a consumer buy from YOU instead of a big box store? The answer to the first question is the same as the answer to second question...

1) Product quality. The products you purchase from your wholesaler are made for florist use. Glass vases are thicker; willow baskets are sturdier; silk flowers are higher quality and often colorfast. Can you tell the difference between blown glass and machine glass? Do you know the difference between pongee and sateen in silk flowers? Maybe not. But your wholesaler can. It is your wholesaler’s business to search for the best products at the best prices and bring them to you. Remember that whatever quality you BUY is the same quality you SELL. What you SELL is the impression you give your customers. Do you really want them to get the same thing from you that they can buy for themselves at the dollar store?

2) Selection. Your wholesaler’s ONLY business is you and our industry. The dollar store is selling everything from vases and baskets to dictionaries and aluminum foil. You have a much greater selection to choose from, and therefore a much greater selection to OFFER your customers. when you shop at a wholesaler.

3) Design Quality and Trends. As wholesalers, we stay on the cutting edge of this industry. We watch the fashion trends and bring you the hottest options that you can then offer your customers. As I write this article, I am on a plane to the AIFD Symposium, eager to see the latest trends shown this year. In the past six months, I have traveled 28,000 miles on product development and sourcing trips. Because we are a wholesaler who also imports, we can design according to the needs and requests of our customers.

4) Service. Your wholesaler can be your company’s best friend if you let it. We know that without YOU, we have nothing. So we have become talented at playing detective for our customers. Call us and tell us what you need. We probably have it. If not, we can usually find it. We can let you know when products come in that you will like or new programs are introduced that can benefit you. In a bind the day before an event? Let us know. We are here to help.

5) Education. I can’t speak for all wholesalers, but I know that, at Pioneer, we believe that education is the key to survival for our industry. In the past 12 months, we have offered our customers seven different educational opportunities, and we have supported five other educational programs and state conventions. Ask yourself this one question: Did the dollar store do that for me?

6) Relationships. My dad started Pioneer 35 years ago, and he has a business motto that has served him well: “People are the most important part of business.” The key to success in business lies with three groups of people: 1)Your customers. 2) Your employees. And 3) Your vendors. You cannot have a successful business without good relationships with all three groups. However, good relationships don’t happen overnight. To have a good relationship with your wholesaler, they have to KNOW you, know your needs and concerns. This requires good, two-way communication.

7) Building local business. Around every holiday, I see all of the florists’ marketing campaigns on Facebook, etc., encouraging their customers to buy from small, local businesses. The same reasons consumers should buy from you are the reasons you should buy from a wholesaler.

8) Price. Yes, you read that correctly. Often, you can get materials from your wholesaler for the same price you are paying at a discount store. Need vases for a $1? I’ve got ’em. And I bet your local wholesaler does too. Every one of us has good product that just may not have sold as fast we would have liked it to. Call and ask if we have anything we are looking to move. Watch our weekly/monthly specials. Sign up for email specials and watch our social media outlets. You never know when there will be a gem available at a great price. Also, pay close attention to prebook offers that can save you a lot of money.

I hope you can see from this article that your wholesaler is a valuable asset to your company, not an enemy to “beat.” The fact is that both wholesalers and florists are trying to stay afloat in a difficult economy. We are all in the same boat. If we row together, we have a better chance of surviving, and thriving, than if we work against each other.

By Sarah Botchick, Marketing Director at Pioneer Wholesale Co.

Why SHOULD florists buy from me, or their local wholesaler, instead of the local dollar store or a craft store? To answer that question, let me ask you a question. Why should a consumer buy from YOU instead of a big box store? The answer to the first question is the same as the answer to second question...
I could not agree more~!!!

So many things in that that I wanted to quote... but the above about covers it all...

I know many florists that sidestep their local wholesaler for many things, and I understand the reasons, but it's failed logic in the long run. If you buy 80% of what you need from the dollar store and Flower Buyer (for instance) why should a wholesaler care about your other 20% or you for that matter, when you're in a bind?

I'd like to see Flower Buyer (for instance) get you that white rose you just found out you needed for tomorrow at noon at 3pm today... ain't gonna happen.

mark

I read your point. But around here, I wouldn't have been able to find that white rose at my local wholesaler either, by the end of the week, they are pretty much out of most everything. Not that I blame them, we like to start with a fresh cooler too. [BUT I would have gotten my white roses from my rose grower who farms 6 miles from my shop- the last rose grower east of the Mississippi -- WIN for me]

but I also have loyalty issues when my customers come in having purchased product at the local wholesaler (price tags still attached) and want our labor (at a discount). I've had brides call for price quote and have told me the local wholesaler quoted them a price on roses and can we match that - [sure if I don't want to make a penny or loose money when we are expect to clean and process too].

So, Loyalty works both way and today, it's every penny that counts.

So, Loyalty works both way and today, it's every penny that counts.
Again, I could not agree more... I don't have those issues, thankfully. My wholesalers don't do that.

I miss Michigan grown roses, for decades we got ours from Mount Clemons Rose Gardens... they came packed in "bakers dozens"... sadly... no more...

Reactions: Sarah Botchick
I deal with wholesalers all the time. With the tragedy in Elliot Lake where I loss everything, my wholesaler helped me. One of them even send me product, invoice me and is not worried if I dont send him his payment in 30 days. Staalduinen, Northland, Hoffland, Waterdale are just a few that went to bat for me. I amin a remote area and it is nice to know they will help you with product at the last minutes for work that came your way unexpectly. Many time, if you watch sales flyers they are cheaper than the dollar store. I have used at the time dollar store like most florist to help you on a bind.

Consistancy of supply is very important to our business. If we use a vase (or whatever) that we really like and our customers love, it is assuring to know that we can go back to our Wholeasler and buy it again. Dollar store inventory is here today, gone tomorrw, never to be repeated again. I can't imagine the time it would take to shop at all the different Dollar Stores trying to fint the product that is readily available at one Wholesaler.

I agree Sarah!! I use all my local wholesalers. But unfortunately, several do sell to other, but their cost are higher than the retail florist. I do have to say they are there when I have to scramble for flowers to fill an order.

We have one local wholesaler....not naming, who sells directly to customers. They sold straight red carnations and roses to a customer who called me to see if I could match....roses at .60 ea and carns at .29 ea. They bought 200 roses and 300 carnations. So, why should I put all my buying to a wholesaler who is also competing with my customers....

I have learned over the years to not put all my buying to one vendor, shop around and if they are willing to give you extra discount for paying your bills on time, I have one where I get 10% extra for net 30.

Thanks for the idea Bill... I think tomorrow, I'll bounce all 3 of my daily wholesalers against each other for 20% ... I mean since I pay upon delivery... I already get 15% on hard goods... Time to hit the perishables a little harder...