Why can't google spend a few moments to verify google local/places listings?

artistry in bloom

Jul 24, 2007
Victoria
www.flowerartisan.com
State / Prov
British Columbia
We had a snow day today which rarely happens here and everything basically shuts down so I decided to do some checking on the internet and quickly noticed two listings on page 1 of google local/places which obviously are not local. One for Victoria and one for Nanaimo which are obviously done by the same company even though they have different names.
One is Victoriaflowers.info which also shows as Flower Delivery Sens and the other is localblossom.com which also shows as Mikes Flowers in Nanaimo. Both show only 888 phone numbers. The one in Victoria is really a parking lot and if you check Canada 411 there is no listing for a local phone number in either Victoria or Nanaimo at that address.What business would ever operate without a local phone number? Why is that not a clue to google that something is wrong? Both are claimed listings. Why doesn't google require a local phone number for them to call and verify the listing is really local?
Both of these phonies have all "excellent reviews"-5 star ratings. One has 17 and the other has 13. They are mostly written in broken bad English which should also be another clue for google.
They also both have the same one picture supplied by the owner on their place pages.It really makes me sick that google allows these companies to bump out real local florists on their place pages. About 8 months ago there was another "localblossom.com" in Victoria which had an address that was actually a Mediterranean Deli that hadn't claimed their listing. They had nothing whatsoever to do with flowers and had no idea that Localblossom showed their address so now Localblossom have simply changed their name and used a parking lot for a location. I realize the listings are free with google but I think they should at least verify that listings are really legitimate before showing them.

Dianne

LocalBlossoms dot com says 'Toronto Flower Delivery' right on the footer.

All the images for Flower Delivery Sens are sitting on localflowerdelivery.ca

Report both of them as phony locals.

Go to their Place Pages --> Click 'More' (just above 'Upload Photo') and select 'Report a Problem' in the drop-down menu.
Choose --->Listing Contains Incorrect Information or Spam
Under ----> What information is incorrect? Choose ---> Address.

Detail the issue (fake location, affiliate reseller, sock puppet reviews, etc...) and check the box 'send email when the problem is reviewed'.

Then wait.

I actually had recent success with reporting a few. :) No guarantees since both are claimed which means G usually gives them a bit more credibility.

LocalBlossoms dot com says 'Toronto Flower Delivery' right on the footer.

All the images for Flower Delivery Sens are sitting on localflowerdelivery.ca

Report both of them as phony locals.

Go to their Place Pages --> Click 'More' (just above 'Upload Photo') and select 'Report a Problem' in the drop-down menu.
Choose --->Listing Contains Incorrect Information or Spam
Under ----> What information is incorrect? Choose ---> Address.

Detail the issue (fake location, affiliate reseller, sock puppet reviews, etc...) and check the box 'send email when the problem is reviewed'.

Then wait.

I actually had recent success with reporting a few. :) No guarantees since both are claimed which means G usually gives them a bit more credibility.

and in the "interim" Google DOES look at the reports, contrary to what you may think! It's why we've been "haranguing" FC members, to "claim" their listings AND locations!

Reactions: CHR
and in the "interim" Google DOES look at the reports, contrary to what you may think! It's why we've been "haranguing" FC members, to "claim" their listings AND locations!
Yep they do look....

On a related issue... I had two calls yesterday on from Texas and one from North Carolina both wanting to know where Wesley went as they have seen him disappear from page one... I think it has a lot to do with duplicate content as has happened to other folks I know too in the last year... I think the Google "Fresh" update was partially designed to increase local accuracy and relevancy...

Thanks for the instructions CHR. Since these order gatherers have no ethics I have decided to ask my brother in law to do it as soon as he gets back from Hawaii. I don't know if google tells them who reported them and I am afraid since they obviously know the importance of reviews they might do some phony bad reviews on me. My brother in law doesn't own a company so it wouldn't make any difference to him.
As far as the Google "Fresh" update being designed to increase local accuracy and relevancy since these ones just showed up over the last few weeks it doesn't appear to be doing much good.

We've had good success getting LocalBlossom listings removed in other cities.

And no, they don't get to know who reported them - but variety of reporters is important, as is the profile of the person doing the reporting. (ex: new accounts get little/no credibility)

Thanks for letting me know Ryan. I think I will go ahead and report them myself today and also get my brother in law to report them next week. I know he has had a google account for at least three years.

Dianne

Ryan's right. The spammers aren't informed who reported them.

I filed a spam report on one of them. :)

Now make sure your site is listed in as many as directories as possible to improve your own shop's rankings.... and be sure to request reviews from your flower shop fans. :) Your work is amazing and deserves to be seen and experienced by more shoppers. :)

Thanks CHR. I also reported the listing to google and got back the email saying they got it. As far as listings in directories I am listed in as many as I could find as well as Linked In,Hot Frog,Plaxo,UBloom, etc and I have a blog, youtube videos,facebook, etc. I did a Google Plus business page but then I worried about security since I did it on my regular google account so I cancelled it but I think I will do another one with a different email so it won't connect to all my other Google things.
I know my big problem is asking for reviews. I actually have hundreds of email testimonials from customers but I never want to bother them by asking for a public review. I really have to start doing this because the few that I did ask were more than happy to do it.

Dianne

I never want to bother them by asking for a public review. I really have to start doing this because the few that I did ask were more than happy to do it

I feel the same way. I always thank them for their kind words. I am thinking of including a link to our google places page so that they can leave a review for us there. With a little note that says, let others know about your experience, or something like that. Hmmmm... something to think on :)

I actually have hundreds of email testimonials from customers but I never want to bother them by asking for a public review. I really have to start doing this because the few that I did ask were more than happy to do it.

You could always offer them a special "thank you" in appreciation of the time it takes to complete an online review. A $5 off coupon, free delivery on their next order, etc. Or something as simple as a personal phone call thanking them would probably be enough for most people (I know it would be for me).

Dianne -

Sometimes those spam reports work. Found in my email In Box this morning:
Thanks again for sharing your local expertise with other Google users! Based on your edit, we've removed Flower Delivery sens from Google Maps.

Thanks for your help,
The Google Maps team
:)

Reactions: anytimeflowers
Thanks so much CHR. I think you really made the difference. I also got an email from google this morning but mine just said they had reviewed the listing and if there were any further problems I should edit it again. It didn't say they had removed it but when I clicked on the link they gave me it said "location not supported" and I checked every keyword I could think of and I don't see it anywhere for now.This is the second time Flower Deliver sens/localblossum has showed up under different names and with different false locations so I am sure it is only a matter of time before they show up again under a different name but at least for now they are off the map. Yeah! Score one for local florists.

Dianne