Status
Not open for further replies.

Gracie

Sep 23, 2006
Toronto
State / Prov
Ontario
This is from another thread that I didn't want to derail with my question:

For wedding bouquets made in a straight handle. Cover the handle with several pieces of foam sheets (like the ones used for packaging) secure with davee tape. Take your davee tape and go up and down the handle backwards, so the sticky part is facing out. You can now put on stems for a faux hand tied or wrap with ribbon.

This has been stated several times in various threads since I've been here, so obviously it's fairly common practice. I'm curious -- if you want a hand-tied look, why wouldn't you make a hand-tied bouquet? I'm sure there's a good reason that I just can't figure out.

(I'm thinking that the reason can't be time, because once the materials are prepped I can whip together a hand-tied in 5-15 minutes, depending on size and complexity. And I'm still pretty green as a designer.)

I know some people have done it to get a rounder look but I have never done it, and probably wouldn't, myself. It just doesn't appeal to me for some reason.

Reactions: Rhonda
some are concerned about water sources for the bouquets. I provide vases and inform the bride and maids it is imperative to keep them in water as much as possible...my choice when they want that look.

I sell either the hand tied or in the holder, it really depends on the look they want. I get a lot rounder look with the faux stems and the holder with not many flowers and I was trained with holders, have picked up hand tieds in the last year or so. Recently went to the design show/class about bridal work and she mostly uses the holders and will do a faux stem look or uses a decorated cone/posy holder, she liked the holder because of the flowers having a constant water source. How many brides are going to recut the stems after pics before putting back in the vase for the ceremony, or vice versa? Anyways, that's my 2 cents worth.

Trish

Whether or not you use a faux-handtied method or a true hand-tied method depends on the bride's flower selection for one thing. If she has selected really water-sensitive flowers such as gardenia, queen annes lace, etc. - flowers that need a constant source of moisture.....or a unique styling......for instance, someone mentioned about a bride wanting a true sphere shaped hand-tied......impossible to make a true round total spherical design in the hand. ....... than the faux hand-tied method is good to use.

It also depends on the skills of the designer. The designer may feel more confident in the bouquet work if it is in a holder and then they do the faux stems.....vice-versa - another designer may be just as secure and confident in using the hand-tied technique.

Smither's Oasis even makes a hand-tied bouquet holder......It is a cylinder with oasis in the top and the bottom.....You put the flowers in the top, stems in the bottom, wrap in ribbon of your choice.

I believe both techniques are viable, both techniques have their usefulness, both techniques are applicable in today's design and marketplace, and designers should be well versed in both techniques.

I make both the hand ties and the faux hand tied...2 reasons one is the water source for sensitive flowers and the other is shape...I started doing this when I had a bride that insisted on a round hand tied bouquet of cymbidium orchids..the bouquet was beautiful and have sold many since.
Becky

To me, a holder is not truly a "water source" but more of a moisture source. I get that with certain flowers some moisture is better than none, but I wonder if anyone's done an experiment to see if bouquets truly last better than hand tieds that they put back in the vase (even with the fact that of course they don't cut the stems)

Reactions: Mocha Rose
We use both methods also. There is a new holder out that has a water souce in the handle with a wick to the oasis.We tried to get them last week,but our suppliers haven't gotten them in yet. I believe Syndicate Sales has them.
terri

Reactions: SpringCity
As Ricky said, the main reason for the Faux hand tied is to give the flowers a source of moisture.

While you can preach to the Bride and the Bridesmaids about the need for the flowers to be in water when they are not using them, that in fact is not a realistic view of what will happen. Girls are also concerned about water drips on thier dresses. (spotting)

We are finding more and more photographers want the bouquets earlier and earlier for pre-wedding pictures. One way to insure that the flowers remain fresh for pictures is to us the faux stem method.

It also allows a more rounded look, and allow for ease of use of certain materials in bouquets.

Cheryl

I agree with everything Cheryl said. We use them frequently around here because the brides appreciate the fact that there is a water source for the flowers and they don't have to worry about how long they are out of the vase (or me)...and with pictures and then a long ceremony and then more pictures, they would be out of water a long time, if we did a real hand-tied. And that is assuming that they actually remember to put them into water between the ceremony and reception, approx. 3 hours around here for our largely Catholic population.

Wanda

It is interesting to me that everyone is so concerned about a water source for the bridal bouquets. I agree this is a plus and use that technique often.

But, for many years, all bridal bouquets were taped and wired and made the day before the weddings. They seemed to hold up just fine for the wedding and the reception. It has not been that many years since the oasis bouquet holders were invented and several years ago, handtieds were not done very often.

Sometimes, I think we worry to much.

Carol Bice

Carol brought up a good point........Wired and taped Bouquets being made the night before.......We did that for many moons......and you know.....they did hold up......and if they were made right.....so EASY to carry. If the balance is spot on.....You can balance and carry a wired and taped bouquet on ONE OUTSTRETCHED FINGER !!!

Try carrying a faux-handle, bridal holder, or hand-tied balanced on one finger.

The most important thing though.....whether your preference is for natural stem hand-tieds, faux-hand-tied, bridal holders, or wired and taped......the techniques and skills needed to do all of them correctly are and should be a part of the designer's repetoire and skill possession.

I have to say i prefer to handtie bouquets but i find them easier, i worry about the oasis crumbling in the holder although i am sure i shouldn't.

Also for me i do handtieds the day before but in foam i would probably do them in the morning so i suppose a time factor is in it for me (i probably wouldnt sleep). I feel better with Carol saying they last overnight though, perhaps i personally should have a mess around with a couple for a change.

When we do them in the holder we make sure flowers are properly hydrated first, misted with C&G or whatever, use flora lock, then put in cooler with a bag over it to help hold in the moisture, Next morning we water and then water again right before it goes out and maybe mist with water on the petals. We also tell the bride she can water it over the sink and keep it awhile after the wedding. If it's a hot day and an outdoor wedding, we send along a spray bottle so they can hydrate it occasionally. If you pay $$$ for the bouquet why not have a friend or relative be the keeper of the bouquet and mist it so it holds?

Trish

But, for many years, all bridal bouquets were taped and wired and made the day before the weddings. They seemed to hold up just fine for the wedding and the reception. It has not been that many years since the oasis bouquet holders were invented and several years ago, handtieds were not done very often.
I wonder if it has more to do with the popular varieties of today vs yester-years?

Hydrangeas are rather unforgiving. Peonies & viburnum, too. I hardly recall using those flowers in bouquets before 2000.

Used to be a regular parade of roses, lilies and more traditional flowers (gardenias, stephanotis) and bouquet holders made the 'basics' hold up well. (Gards and steph are still a challenge no matter how they're prepared.)

In theory, hand-tieds are better for the water sensitive crowd, but as Cheryl so aptly said, the girls don't really keep them in water as prescribed.

During several months of the year, our relative humidity is 20% or less so water to the flowers is vital & important.

Case in point from this weekend: 10AM delivery (for photos) for 2 PM wedding with a 6 PM reception. We did faux hand-tieds to give the look and the much-needed water supply. With the Grand March at 7:00 PM (10 1/2 hours after delivery) it's an important way we can help ensure a 'picture perfect' grand entry.

The condoms on the bouquets (the Erlene special) can help, too - but if the bride wants exposed stems, the faux handle can be a handy tool.

I mostly do handtied bouquets.

I use the holder mostly for shape. very round, full cascade, and even a slight modern cascade. I did one last month that had a cascade on the sides but not the middle, used a holder and the faux stem treatment.

When we use holders, we fill a vase to the top with water & set the bqt. in it. The holes in the holder gives the oasis water for days if necessary.We do the hand ties the same) We wrap the stems before delivery.They both can be done days before.
terri

I never use the faux thing,my brides would kill me, for ransom, now lets get honest here folks, I have seen some of the faux things, that fall out all over the place, and some shops use these cause it takes less flowers, to do them nice, that is why some shops use them, and lots of the new books tell brides to ask for them to save money,yeah what ever those things aren't free.

Status
Not open for further replies.