Why faux hand-tied instead of real?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are a lot of good reasons to use a holder...

I use them for budget brides that still wnat that hand tied look, they know what they are buying, I do not try to trick them...I can make 1 stem of hydrangea and 6 roses look like a very full handtied for half the money of a regular handtied...so much product gets hidden...

I also use holders in the heat of august for delicate items...I am using holders this weekend for very round gerb bouquets...more for the shape than anything else..I find it just easier to get a more uniform round look with a holder....but the handtieds do work up very quick...and no expense of a holder and fussing with extra stems and padding...

Reactions: Tuberose
Queen - In response to your post - let me state this with absolute certainty - If you have seen bouquets fall out, and other things.....THEN THAT DESIGNER HAS NOT PAID ATTENTION TO MECHANICS AS THEY SHOULD HAVE. Period, end of story.

I can say this .....with PROPER mechanics, PROPER attention to design principles and elements, A faux hand-tied should look as elegant, natural, and as perfect as a true-hand-tied - even a true hand-tied bouquet can be done poorly and look as awful and as unprofessional as you seem to think a faux-handtied looks.

Queen - In response to your post - let me state this with absolute certainty - If you have seen bouquets fall out, and other things.....THEN THAT DESIGNER HAS NOT PAID ATTENTION TO MECHANICS AS THEY SHOULD HAVE. Period, end of story.

I can say this .....with PROPER mechanics, PROPER attention to design principles and elements, A faux hand-tied should look as elegant, natural, and as perfect as a true-hand-tied - even a true hand-tied bouquet can be done poorly and look as awful and as unprofessional as you seem to think a faux-handtied looks.

Is\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\000000][/COLOR]

Isn't it true with most things, , yes it should but it doesn't always happen that way, I am saying this from what I have seen in the last few months, and it is sad to say the least/

My avatar picture is a faux handtied...looks just as good if not better than a real one, espically using gerberas that are so difficult to get to do what you want them to...

That's what Flora Lock is for, to keep the stems in place on a holder. If they don't know that then they haven't been trained properly or are just lazy. I haven't had a bride complain yet that she lost flowers. If I'm doing a cascade with long stems of roses and orchids, I also wire it and attach the wire to the cage of the holder. 90% of our weddings are round clutches these days, so haven't done many cascades lately. We're also up front with our brides about the faux stems, have a sample done in silk to show them as well as our album with pics of our wedding work, they can't tell the difference. The holders and the putzing with the stems does cost more, so we charge for that, nothing's free.

I would like to know what on average everyone gets for a hand tied bouquet?

Trish

Reactions: floraldesignson99th

well said. Just want I was going to say. Good mechanics and design is the key to both handties and holder bouquets.

I like the flexibility to shape the bouquet in any way....heck, you could make a teepee if you wanted. I have had brides that love the round ball shape. That is the request I get most often for faux handtied. You just can't get a good round with a regular handtied.

I want to thank everyone for responding. It's very educational.

Okay, I can understand the shape issue. Although, that said, I can get a fairly good ball shape in a hand-tied with wired & taped lower flowers.

I'm not so sure about the lower cost issue. At least for myself, it takes so much longer to make a holder bouquet, so the labour + COGs would balance out the savings in flowers, I would think.

As far as I know, we have never had a problem with with hand-tieds failing -- but of course it depends on the floral material used. We deliver the hand-tieds with exposed stems in a little water (recently we've been using mache containers for this), but never assume that the bouquets are going to go back into water during the day. The bridal party has other things to think about and are just not going to do it. Besides, once the flowers have been out of water for 20 minutes, the stems cells have sealed off so they're not going to draw even if a conscientious bride puts the bouquet in water (unless she recuts the stems, which just isn't going to happen) (unless the bride is a florist and has her knife handy ;) )

As for the cost of a hand-tied -- most of the ones we do range between $75 and $150. But we've done bridal ones as low as $50 for an all daisy one, to $300+. The maids are less, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.