Wine tasting theme

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flore

Apr 3, 2008
Southbury
State / Prov
CT
I'm doing a bridal shower with a wine tasting theme. Bride-to-be doesn't like roses, and I'm trying to think of a flower that has a deep wine color...like the color of red wine. She wants a very european-look..almost like Tuscany. We are doing gold coxcomb, baby green hydrangea, scabiosa, and blue thistle in either a olive green or amber cube vase. I just need a deep, rich wine-colored flower. Any ideas????
Date of shower is June 27.

dahlias .

Thanks...I thought of dahlias, too. Was looking for something with a smooth texture, like a rose. She loves the grape colored ranunculas, but it's past their season. I even considered wine colored tulips, but don't know if that color can be had this time of year.

Can I make an alternate suggestion to a cube? - When I think of the Tuscany region, I think of classic shapes, ornate urns, grapes, and the like.

I would suggest an ornate epergne or handled urn.....in a rich wine color with gold fleur-de-lis shapes or other emblazonment......overflowing with the rich claret of red grapes, accents of green grapes, and rich jeweltone colors......with a little touch of red ( red is almost a signature color in the french garden - It's not always readily seen......but it is there )

Even in the more modern cube......I would keep to the grapes and jeweltones.

Can I make an alternate suggestion to a cube? - When I think of the Tuscany region, I think of classic shapes, ornate urns, grapes, and the like.

I would suggest an ornate epergne or handled urn.....in a rich wine color with gold fleur-de-lis shapes or other emblazonment......overflowing with the rich claret of red grapes, accents of green grapes, and rich jeweltone colors......with a little touch of red ( red is almost a signature color in the french garden - It's not always readily seen......but it is there )

Even in the more modern cube......I would keep to the grapes and jeweltones.

hmmm..you give me food for thought (no pun intended). Didn't think of adding actual grapes to the design, but that's certainly the color and texture I'm thinking of.
She's pretty keen on a low, lush modern-european design in a cube. I don't see the grapes draping over the sides. Never worked with grapes in a design like this before. Could I get away with tightly placing them within the flowers?? Anything I need to think about/avoid, etc???? Mechanically, how could I add them to this design? Also, what jeweltone flowers come to mind for you??? Thanks....you've gotten the creative juices flowing...(ok..no pun intended, again....)

Do a collar of grapevine and run burgandy amaranthus (hanging) thru it2243191648_85c867216b.jpg

OK - In working with fresh grapes - FIrst of all - If I am using them in a foamed design or container....I attach a 6 inch wired cowee pick to the stem end and insert the pick into the foam.

Using them in a vase......They work similar to Hydrangea - If you clear tape grid the vase.....simply lay the grapes on top of the vase and insert the other stems in between the individual grapes......using the grape cluster as an armature or mechanic of sorts.

As far as jeweltone flowers - simply think in jewel colors..

Ruby - Burgundy roses, red carnations, tulips, dahlias, mini-callas,

Citron - Orange roses, carnations, zinnia, ranunculus, etc. Citron can even go into the yellow family.

Sapphire - Iris, Cornflower, statice

You can take it even further - into Emerald, Amethyst, Onyx,

OK - In working with fresh grapes - FIrst of all - If I am using them in a foamed design or container....I attach a 6 inch wired cowee pick to the stem end and insert the pick into the foam.

Using them in a vase......They work similar to Hydrangea - If you clear tape grid the vase.....simply lay the grapes on top of the vase and insert the other stems in between the individual grapes......using the grape cluster as an armature or mechanic of sorts.

As far as jeweltone flowers - simply think in jewel colors..

Ruby - Burgundy roses, red carnations, tulips, dahlias, mini-callas,

Citron - Orange roses, carnations, zinnia, ranunculus, etc. Citron can even go into the yellow family.

Sapphire - Iris, Cornflower, statice

You can take it even further - into Emerald, Amethyst, Onyx,

Thanks..I'm gonna use the red grapes as you suggest, as a sort of "armature" and design in between.
I think I'm on the same page as you with the jeweltones...I have the citron covered with the coxcomb, ruby with the grapes, sapphire with the scabiosa and the emerald in the hydrangea, and think I'm gonna add some bells cut down short in the design, too, perhaps.
Thanks so much........

Thank you for the compliment - always nice to hear of an idea being used.

I find the job of selling easier if I use descriptive terms....like the names of jewels....or even the little carnation cupcakes mentioned in another thread.....I sell them as 'Vanilla, Strawberry, Cherry, Grape soda, Orange juice - rather than the colors....red carnation, pink carnations, etc.....using the flavors SOUNDS better and sells better.

Reactions: floraldesignson99th
I have a personal obsession with photography and paintings of Italy. Go to art.com and type "tuscany" in the search box. I bet you will get a lot of inspiration.

The first thing that comes up is a painting of poppies. Not being a florist I have no idea if you can get those live in a deep red wine color...

I agree with Ricky, anything Italian tends to be more ornate than our cube vases. If she must have something simpler and low, there might be a happy medium. There are some lovely, low, metallic finished glass pieces out there right now. I am not a designer, but I can see a brushed metallic gold (muted but classy) low glass container with the deep colors you are speaking of. We just got some in, and I saw others in a new catalog from one of our suppliers just today. They are coming up very strong for fall. Perhaps that style of container is at least worth a look.

Reactions: Flore
I find the job of selling easier if I use descriptive terms....like the names of jewels....or even the little carnation cupcakes mentioned in another thread.....I sell them as 'Vanilla, Strawberry, Cherry, Grape soda, Orange juice - rather than the colors....red carnation, pink carnations, etc.....using the flavors SOUNDS better and sells better.

That's so true. In my previous "life", we used to call it "romancing" the product. Thanks for the reminder...I need to keep that top of mind!!
Thanks to you and everyone here on fc for your suggestions......you all helped me get out of a design "brain fart"!!!!

I am not a designer, but I can see a brushed metallic gold (muted but classy) low glass container with the deep colors you are speaking of. We just got some in, and I saw others in a new catalog from one of our suppliers just today. They are coming up very strong for fall. Perhaps that style of container is at least worth a look.
That container sounds fabulous...can you post a link, and could I get it in time for 6/27???...thanks.
P.S. Sounds to me like you have more design sense than you know

Reactions: Sarah Botchick
That container sounds fabulous...can you post a link, and could I get it in time for 6/27???...thanks.
P.S. Sounds to me like you have more design sense than you know

Our site doesn't allow a direct link to an item (which stinks, I know - we are working on a change). But if you go to www.pioneerwholesaleco.com, then choose "Click Here if You Have Never Purchased from Pioneer Before" the item is actually on the first page that comes up once inside the site. It is item # 3-330GLS/1MH. It is 3 assorted colors. But they would all look lovely with your theme. Be sure to click the thumbnail and get to the item detail page. There are three larger images available for the picture to give you a good view. Also there are quantity price breaks shown.

I'll post a pic tomorrow when I have access to my images file at the office.

As long as you need 89 or less, yes, you could actually have them by Tuesday! (If you place your order before noon tomorrow - I have 89 in stock and CT is a 2 day ship from us.) If you need more than 89, I would have to find out if we can get them to you by the 27th. But I can't imagine needing more than that for a shower! If you do that is one heck of a shower!

Thank you for the compliment!

Status
Not open for further replies.