Status
Not open for further replies.

NavyBrat

Aug 27, 2005
Medford
www.richardsonsflowers.com
State / Prov
NJ
We are having a debate in our shop as to the correct way to wire cymbidium orchids to be used in Christmas arrangements. One designer wires them through the throat of the orchid, the other wires the stem only. We're big gamblers...there's $20.00 on this one! Whoo hoo! Majority vote on FC rules!

wire? for what? I haven"t wired a cym in 20 yrs. except for making a corsage.

I usually tube them, but if I am wiring, I put a wire through the stem at the calyx and one up the stem in the bach of the throat just for more stability

If wiring is the issue.

I cross wire and then place a piece of wet cotton between the four wires. Tape and done.

For arrangements, I would just stick it in a water pic.

joe

I also wouldn't wire cyms for most arrangements, but for corsages, I wire through the stem, with a wet tissue.

Hope you win that bet!

tracy

I agree with Joe I don't wire for arrangments either. For corsages, I crosswire with 26 gauge wire and put wet cotton on the stem...then tape twice .

No Winner Then...

Geez! You guys are amazing! I never even thought about tubing the orchid to put in the arrangement! Do you tape it too, or just insert in water tube and put in the design? We have red cymbidium sprays coming in on Monday. I am going to make up some of the same vases that I made for my daughter's wedding, but I want to also use the cymbidiums in Christmas centerpieces. Thanx!

Looks like nobody is winning the $20.00 based on your replies! Of course, I always cross wire the orchids for corsages, but I wasn't sure of the best method for arrangements.

I LOVE Cymbidiums and when in season use them all the time in my arrangements. I alway use a Phial/tube if wanting to use them as a single bloom.

Only wire them for corsages/ wedding work and this is done with two wires - one at the base of the head thru the stem and ( I maybe shot here?) inserted "up" the stem - this allows a more stability especially in bouquets. - then taped.

I do feel sorry for them and tend to close my eyes when I am doing this..!!!

Geez! You guys are amazing! I never even thought about tubing the orchid to put in the arrangement! Do you tape it too, or just insert in water tube and put in the design? We have red cymbidium sprays coming in on Monday. I am going to make up some of the same vases that I made for my daughter's wedding, but I want to also use the cymbidiums in Christmas centerpieces. Thanx!

Looks like nobody is winning the $20.00 based on your replies! Of course, I always cross wire the orchids for corsages, but I wasn't sure of the best method for arrangements.

Water piks with extenders on them.

If you are using the full cym stems with all the blooms on them, just insert directly into foam....If you are using the cym blooms......the others are right....just pop a hyacinth stick or wood pick onto a water tube and insert into the foam......I always cover the tube and pick with dark green floratape just to better blend the pic into the greens and other flowers.

If you are wiring the cym for a corsage though........or if you need to position bloom in an unusual manner.....say for a waterfall style design, then I would cross pierce the stem just under the bloom and wrap the wire around a bit of wet cotton wrapping the stem, then cover with floratape.....then attach to that your heavier wire and tape that will allow you to position the bloom.

I've done wedding bouquets where I stick the cymbidium orchid in the water tube (the ones with the spiked end), then insert in the bouquet holder with the foam. Is is necessary to add a pick or stake at the end of the tube?

Has anyone done a hand-tied bouquet with just cymbidiums? What technique did you use? How did you manage to create stems that peek out at the bottom of the bouquet?

Thanks!

Has anyone done a hand-tied bouquet with just cymbidiums? What technique did you use? How did you manage to create stems that peek out at the bottom of the bouquet?

Thanks!

I so the same technique there too. Cross wire, little cotton water at the base and tape. I didn't have stems at the bottom; instead I add a little padding in the handle so the bride has a comfortable handle (like quilt padding) and then I wrap with silk.

I've never made an all cymbid bouquet with stems at the bottom so I'd also be interested in knowing how it's done.

Julie

Status
Not open for further replies.